Eco - final name vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
after wording that out a few times... Consumer Advocates for Smokeless/free Alternatives Association, seems less awkward after like the third time....

CASAA.ORG

looks good to me

WAIT... wouldn't a smokeless alternative be smoking?? maybe i need more coffee, but Consumer Advocates for Smoking Alternatives Association seems to make sense

Last edited:

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I hope he did, because otherwise, we're in for a world of **** with the REAL casa.

but uv cussss, mi amigo.

CASAA.ORG I can definitely get to the top of Google. The .net belongs to the Carmel All-Age School Alumni Association and a cybersquatter has CASAA.COM (not necessarily a bad thing for SEO, as anyone hitting it will KNOW that isn't the URL)

Google indexes every 11 1/2 days, so (pending CASA winning the vote of course) I can probably have us showing up at #1 in a direct search within a few days and we can work on other keywords and landing pages after that.

Too bad e-cigs aren't legal in Mexico. I can get .MX domains cheap and I'm bilingual (you can't tell by looking at me) so we could have a Spanish version too.

Sorry I can't think of anything to add here, but at least somewhere on the website the following should appear?

We maintain no position regarding FDA approved Nicotine Replacement products.

Certainly works for me. I'd imagine disclaimers will be all over our site and TOS.

I really like the Consumer Reports concept too. I'm a subscriber and wouldn't think of making a major purchase without consulting CR first.

Incidentally, I'll have a first stab at the TOS and Privacy Policy out just as soon as soon as we close the name and have let everyone have a chance to debate the key objectives. At this point, I don’t want to spread the discussions to far apart.

One other note, SJ has agreed to set us up our own subforum on par with ECA. All of these threads will be moved there soon. My thanks to all the moderators who have done so much work on ECF. Without them, none of this would be happening.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Too bad e-cigs aren't legal in Mexico. I can get .MX domains cheap and I'm bilingual (you can't tell by looking at me) so we could have a Spanish version too.

All the more reason to get this going in Mexico. After all, our amigos south of the Rio Grande need this help even more than we do, BECAUSE it is illegal there. I don't know anything about Mexican law, but you aren't selling vaping products on the site, just giving them a voice to help change their laws.

Even if you can't, still put up a Spanish version on a US website. They'll find it, plus there are plenty of Americans that only speak Spanish that'll benefit.

Anybody else bilingual? Pages in other languages will be needed if we elect to go international.

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    All the more reason to get this going in Mexico. After all, our amigos south of the Rio Grande need this help even more than we do, BECAUSE it is illegal there. I don't know anything about Mexican law, but you aren't selling vaping products on the site, just giving them a voice to help change their laws.

Even if you can't, still put up a Spanish version on a US website. They'll find it, plus there are plenty of Americans that only speak Spanish that'll benefit.

Excellent! I don't have the time to translate every article posted, but we can certainly have the site itself in other languages. Perhaps once we get established (and some duties delegated) we can have a comittee of bilingual users translate new stories as they come in.

azvagabond

ECF Veteran
    This is exactly what's going to get you into trouble: trying to piggy back off of well known orginizations...it gives the appearance of shifty/shady practices, and given the already "contraversial" nature of your organization, that's the last thing you need. CASA is a well known organization who works directly with the Judicial systems (aka Superior court judges who may be making decisions in upcoming cases regarding issues your interested in) If you're interested in higher ratings and hit counts, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I just want to see this organiziation succeed and I think a unique task specific name will prove to be less troublesome in the future...you are going to be dealing with a ton of cynics, better not give the appearance of unscrupulous tactics. IMHO

but uv cussss, mi amigo.

CASAA.ORG I can definitely get to the top of Google. The .net belongs to the Carmel All-Age School Alumni Association and a cybersquatter has CASAA.COM (not necessarily a bad thing for SEO, as anyone hitting it will KNOW that isn't the URL)

Google indexes every 11 1/2 days, so (pending CASA winning the vote of course) I can probably have us showing up at #1 in a direct search within a few days and we can work on other keywords and landing pages after that.

Certainly works for me. I'd imagine disclaimers will be all over our site and TOS.

I really like the Consumer Reports concept too. I'm a subscriber and wouldn't think of making a major purchase without consulting CR first.

Incidentally, I'll have a first stab at the TOS and Privacy Policy out just as soon as soon as we close the name and have let everyone have a chance to debate the key objectives. At this point, I don’t want to spread the discussions to far apart.

One other note, SJ has agreed to set us up our own subforum on par with ECA. All of these threads will be moved there soon. My thanks to all the moderators who have done so much work on ECF. Without them, none of this would be happening.

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    This is exactly what's going to get you into trouble: trying to piggy back off of well known orginizations...it gives the appearance of shifty/shady practices, and given the already "contraversial" nature of your organization, that's the last thing you need. CASA is a well known organization who works directly with the Judicial systems (aka Superior court judges who may be making decisions in upcoming cases regarding issues your interested in) If you're interested in higher ratings and hit counts, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I just want to see this organiziation succeed and I think a unique task specific name will prove to be less troublesome in the future...you are going to be dealing with a ton of cynics, better not give the appearance of unscrupulous tactics. IMHO

AZ, I think you misunderstood my comments. I am trying explicitly NOT to ride the coattails of any organization. If you can find a 3-4 letter acronym thet isn't already a group - please let me know. Web Development and SEO is what I've done for the past 15 years as a living. If we wanted to play up to an existing organization I would have gone with something like FDAA.org

THAT would be tempting the powers that be.

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I don't know anything about Mexican law, but you aren't selling vaping products on the site, just giving them a voice to help change their laws.

This does bring up the point that it must be well understood by all that no attempts at selling or even recommending a particular product or vendor can be allowed as it will be seen in places where e-cigarettes are currently (but hopefully not forever) illegal.

azvagabond

ECF Veteran
    AZ, I think you misunderstood my comments. I am trying explicitly NOT to ride the coattails of any organization. If you can find a 3-4 letter acronym thet isn't already a group - please let me know. Web Development and SEO is what I've done for the past 15 years as a living. If we wanted to play up to an existing organization I would have gone with something like FDAA.org

THAT would be tempting the powers that be.

I just want to see you succeed, and considering who your opponents will be,they are going to try to tear you down even if everything is on the up and up and comes from St Peter himself. Design/Development and Optimizing for websites is one thing (I have my fair share of experience as well), but that's not the issue, it's your appearance and what kind of spin are people going to put on ya, you want to appear as benign as possible (No pun intended)...just my 2 cents...I sincerely wish you all the luck and you have my full support no matter what your name is, I support the cause!
    :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    This does bring up the point that it must be well understood by all that no attempts at selling or even recommending a particular product or vendor can be allowed as it will be seen in places where e-cigarettes are currently (but hopefully not forever) illegal.

Absolutely - this was established early on that there would be NO ADVERTISING or special treatment to any supplier by way of "being a sponsor" All users are members - one person, one vote.

Likewise, I think recommendations on beating the system or "outwitting" bans and cusoms should be taboo. We are an advocate of the industry and user's rights - not a proponant of anarchy or doing things that would get you into trouble.

AZVagabond is completely correct in that we have to be cleaner than clean. (sorry if I misinterpreted your comments earlier) There are those who will leap to judge and pigeonhole us from the start and make us out to be a splinter group. Remaining unbiased and true to our goals will be a test of time and we'll all have to keep each in check. ;)

Webby

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2009
    USA
    Wow.

Apparently there is some heavy campaigning going on right now. I looked through the server logs for any sign of voter fraud, but each "vote" seems to be coming from a separate IP address. The poll is blocked so each IP can vote only once. (multiples are counted at the time of the vote but deleted based on duplicate IPs at midnight every night...this is not my first rodeo.)

Power to people - may the most popular name win. I just hope whatever the decision, everyone will get behind the group and support the greater good. Most importantly, that our efforts will remain focused on what we're trying to do here and not just a battle of semantics and what will look good on a t-shirt or bumper sticker.

At this point, I see no reason for a runoff. Unless there is major opposition to the final tally, I would move that we continue our efforts toward establishing whatever name is chosen as the user's group.

The next step is to finalize the mission statement and key objectives and file as a non-profit. From there, we can start to focus our efforts towards proactively becoming involved in the fight.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread