Eco - final name vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Still time to vote! Wake the kids, call the neighbors and break out the refreshments. Remember, no one said you had to be an ECF member to vote and join the cause...

vote912.jpg

Vaper’s Association and Partnership for Objective and Unbiased Research

I like that a lot better....but I'm partial to any name that abbreviates to: VAPOR, VAPOUR, vape, VAPER, SAFER, or maybe something along the lines of NO SMOKE or Smoke Free. I like acronyms that are directly related to what we're doing.

Unfortunately, there's only one selection that made the final vote that does not include the word tobacco. That bothers me. I voted for iCASA because I like that that name clearly states what we do and doesn't mention tobacco, but I don't really care for that particular acronym. I prefer ATA to iCASA as an acronym, but honestly I prefer ECO to ATA....

For all those reasons, perhaps we should consider doing this business a bit differently. What if we used web conferencing technology or even just organized a real-time chat to slash it out and conduct a live vote AFTER the charter members reach a consensus and agree to vote and what to vote on.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
For all those reasons, perhaps we should consider doing this business a bit differently. What if we used web conferencing technology or even just organized a real-time chat to slash it out and conduct a live vote AFTER the charter members reach a consensus and agree to vote and what to vote on.

I'm afraid we've already got two weeks tied up in this name business. Everything else (web sites, database, org filing, etc.) are all on hold until this is resolved. Barring a REALLY BIG hatred of the name (by a majority) I think we really need to move on to establishing the group.

Voting ends in 14 hours and (FWIW) so far, CASA has taken the lead.

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
Well, ICASA was a top contender before the International debate. Replacing the I in International with Informed takes nothing away from CASA while ditching the word tobacco in ATA. Also there is no confict with any existing CASA organization.

I think I'm even confusing myself on this one... but

Informed Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives
ICASA

just a thought

well, there is this: Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault
and this: International Consortium for Agricultural Systems Applications

frack! i dunoo

Last edited:

azvagabond

ECF Veteran
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) is a national association in the United States that supports and promotes court-appointed advocates for abused or neglected children in order to provide children with a safe and healthy environment in permanent homes.[1] The program is similar to, but is not a guardian ad litem program. According to National CASA, today there are more than 68,000 advocates serving in 1,018 state and local program offices nationwide

I would just be worried about being named something so similar to an organization that deals directly with the judicial system. JMHO

madman3237

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009
Laurel, DE USA
Well, ICASA was a top contender before the International debate. Replacing the I in International with Informed takes nothing away from CASA while ditching the word tobacco in ATA. Also there is no confict with any existing CASA organization.

I think I'm even confusing myself on this one... but

Informed Consumer Advocates for Smokeless Alternatives
ICASA

just a thought

well, there is this: Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault
and this: International Consortium for Agricultural Systems Applications

frack! i dunoo

BSG Fan:shock:

All decent 3-5 letter acronyms have been used by now. Best bet is to use something not used by BIG organization that might sue. IMHO ATA is more likely to get upset than Court Appointed Special Advocates.:D

mtndude

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Roan Mountain, TN
I'm afraid we've already got two weeks tied up in this name business. Everything else (web sites, database, org filing, etc.) are all on hold until this is resolved. Barring a REALLY BIG hatred of the name (by a majority) I think we really need to move on to establishing the group.

I've been following the ECO threads as a matter of interest. I can offer some skill sets if they meet necessity. I have no ambitions of being anything official, but would not rule out the possibility. Rather than applying any focus on the difficulties, I'll only make the suggestion that others express their willingness to contribute to this worthy cause.

yeah, i got this thing for Starbuck :wub:

In a random encounter, I had a nice conversation once with Katee Sackoff's ex-aunt. Was kinda cool to find that a local girl could do so well with that particular role.

Back on topic. I for one am "okay" with ICASA, since it doesn't reference tobacco like all the other choices, but am a bit uncomfortable with the common abbreviation with Court Appointed Special Advocate...especially since the name "CASA" (Spanish for 'Home') doesn't carry any particular meaning in our context. I still think that something along the lines of Smoke-Free Alternative Foundation would be closer to the ideal.

Webby, I understand your frustration that we haven't settled on a name. I was only suggesting other methods of determining it to hopefully speed up the process and improve the prospects.

gr8dane

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
I still think that something along the lines of Smoke-Free Alternative Foundation would be closer to the ideal.

I was pleasantly surprised to see CASA had taken the lead. As I've said before, I really like iCASA

The original suggestion for CASA used 'smoke-free' instead of 'smokeless' in it. It was changed because smoke-free was two words. However, I have no problems (and I doubt anyone else does) with changing it back to smoke free if we settle on CASA. As a matter of fact, I prefer smoke-free.

I don't see that making this an international organization overcomplicates things. We have many common issues and things that happen in one country can easily impact another. Also, I think it would be crazy not to take advantage of the expanded consumer base we would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread