Jun 11, 2013
IL

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I emailed FDA/CTP over the weekend because they had a link to the Economic Impact Analysis in ref 194 of the proposed regulation document, but it wasn't actually posted.

Happy to report that they posted it today, for any that are interested:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Reports/EconomicAnalyses/UCM394933.pdf

Thanks for posting pam.... this says a lot, imo.

"The proposed deeming action differs from most public health regulations in that it is an enabling regulation. In other words, in addition to directly applying the substantive requirements of chapter IX of the FD&C Act and its implementing regulations to proposed deemed tobacco products, it enables FDA to issue further public health regulations related to such products. We expect that asserting our authority over these tobacco products will enable us to propose further regulatory action in the future as appropriate, and those actions will have their own costs and benefits. Without deeming these products to be subject to the FD&C Act, FDA would lack the authority to collect vital ingredient and health information about them. We would also lack the authority to take regulatory action with respect to them, if we determined it was appropriate to do so."

mynewtoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
mississippi
and just for clarification they know exactly what their doing to the market

Some manufacturers or importers may cease to sell products in the U.S. rather than bear
the cost of complying with this proposed rule. The handmade segment of the cigar market is
made up of a large number of low volume industry players and is overwhelmingly composed of
imports, and some cigar importers may choose not to continue to operate in the U.S. under the
proposed rule.15 We note that under these assumptions, foreign producers of handmade cigars
would not necessarily cease to operate; rather, they would cease to sell their products in the U.S.
Although we do not have an estimate of the number of electronic cigarette manufacturers and
importers affected by this proposed rule, we similarly expect that rather than bear the cost of
compliance, some would cease to offer their products in the U.S. The total costs of complying
with the proposed rule would create the potential for exit; for simplicity we assume throughout
this analysis that potential market exits occur at the end of the first year, halfway through the
compliance period for labeling requirements and premarket submissions

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
From the benefits section:

Due to the emerging nature of these products, their health effects, which are not fully
known, and their yet-to-be established relationship to other tobacco products, the benefits of
including electronic cigarettes in this proposed rule are unknown and therefore cannot be
quantified.

From the cost section:

Premarket tobacco applications, discussed above in section II.B, are expected to be the most burdensome requirement for electronic cigarettes. We expect to see adjustment through additional product consolidation and exit from the U.S. market, compared with what we would expect without regulation.

So, all cost and no benefit. Sounds to me like a reason to NOT regulate.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Our vendors should read this :)

Page 22...

"Although we do not have an estimate of the number of electronic cigarette manufacturers and importers affected by this proposed rule, we similarly expect that rather than bear the cost of compliance, some would cease to offer their products in the U.S. The total costs of complying with the proposed rule would create the potential for exit;"

And contrary to some comments about substantial equivalency - how if one carto is allowed then all follow... here's the FDA's estimate for the number of ecigarettes and UPC's (basically accessories... see note 22 on myvaporstore, pg25):

Table 16 summarizes the number of products affected by this proposed rule, while Table 17 provides cigar product detail by foreign and domestic origin.

Table 16: Number of Products Affected by this Proposed Rule

Electronic Cigarettes2 1,675(Products)_ 1,717(UPC's)

2 If there is no valid predicate tobacco product for e-cigarettes, the number of products or UPCs on the market under the proposed rule would depend on the number of marketing authorizations obtained through premarket tobacco applications.

Depending on the evaluation of 'predicates' to ecigs, those numbers might change but earlier this is what the FDA says about predicates for ecigarettes: (page 20):

"If electronic cigarettes are deemed to be subject to chapter IX of the FD&C Act, the cost of premarket applications would increase the cost of entering and remaining in the market. (It is uncertain whether there are any valid predicates for the electronic cigarette products currently on the market. If no such predicates exist or if they are hard to identify, then all or most electronic cigarettes would require premarket applications in order to remain on the market."

mynewtoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2012
mississippi
im just going to paste this whole section because it needs to be read. basically what they are saying is we don't know anything about them but we want to deem e-cigs under our control

b. Electronic Cigarettes and Other Non-Combustible, Novel Tobacco Products

Due to the emerging nature of these products, their health effects, which are not fully
known, and their yet-to-be established relationship to other tobacco products, the benefits of
including electronic cigarettes in this proposed rule are unknown and therefore cannot be
quantified.

The size of the health and welfare effects of electronic cigarettes depends in part on how
widespread their use becomes. The use of this product has grown rapidly in recent years but we
cannot predict if that growth will continue. The use of electronic cigarettes could level off at
current levels or it could continue to grow rapidly and perhaps eventually – as some predict—
rival traditional cigarettes in popularity. The directions of the effects we describe here do not
depend on how large the market for electronic cigarettes becomes but the size of these effects
will be proportional to the size of the market. 20

The direction of the effects of electronic cigarettes on health and welfare depend on two
characteristics:
• Relative health effects. Are electronic cigarettes safer than the reference products, which
would likely be cigarettes or cigars? In other words, are there negative health effects
associated with electronic cigarettes? And, if so, are they less than, greater than, or about
the same on average as the tobacco products consumers now use?
• Relationship with other products. Are electronic cigarettes on balance substitutes,
complements, or not closely related to other tobacco products?13
o Substitutes. Substitutes are competing goods. If electronic cigarettes are
substitutes for cigarettes and cigars, then consumers would use electronic
cigarettes instead of these other tobacco products. All else the same, as more
electronic cigarettes are consumed, fewer cigarettes and cigars are consumed.
o Complements. Complements are goods that are consumed together. If electronic
cigarettes are complementary to traditional tobacco products, then as more
electronic cigarettes are consumed, more cigarettes and cigars are consumed.
o Not closely related. If the consumption of electronic cigarettes has no effect on
the consumption of other tobacco products (and vice versa) then the two goods
are not related. We would think of the two activities and possibly the two groups
of consumers as independent.
The possible welfare outcomes associated with the growing consumption of electronic
cigarettes are shown in Table 12. If electronic cigarettes are substitutes for traditional cigarettes,
then their effect on welfare depends on the relative health effect. If electronic cigarettes are safer,
then substituting them for cigarettes and cigars increases health and welfare; if they are less safe,
such substitution decreases welfare. If electronic cigarettes are complementary to cigarettes and
cigars, then their growth always reduces welfare because it encourages consumption of cigarettes
or cigars. Finally, if electronic cigarettes are not closely related to other tobacco products, then
their effect on welfare depends on their effects on health. If those effects are of the same order of
magnitude as cigars and cigarettes, we would expect the welfare effect to be negative. If they are
much safer than cigarettes and cigars, then the welfare effects depends partly on their safety
compared with substitute products and partly on other characteristics such as degree of
addictiveness and the consumer’s ability to recognize and internalize potential health costs.

13 Different consumers could treat these products differently, with some using electronic cigarettes as complements
to traditional cigarettes and some as substitutes. The analysis presented here is based on the overall market effect. In
technical terms, goods are substitutes if the market cross-price elasticity of demand is greater than zero,
complements if the market cross price elasticity of demand is less than zero, and not closely related if the market
cross-price elasticity of demand is approximately zero. 21
If electronic cigarettes are deemed to be subject to chapter IX of the FD&C Act, the cost
of premarket applications would increase the cost of entering and remaining in the market. (It is
uncertain whether there are any valid predicates for the electronic cigarette products currently on
the market. If no such predicates exist or if they are hard to identify, then all or most electronic
cigarettes would require premarket applications in order to remain on the market.) In addition,
warning labeling would serve as a negative signal to consumers and possibly discourage use.
The combined effects of these two requirements would reduce consumption below levels that
would be observed without regulation. It is important to note that this comparative reduction is a
separate consideration from any general secular trend toward greater use of electronic cigarettes.

This discussion would also apply to other novel non-combustible tobacco products, such
as certain nicotine gels. We focus on electronic cigarettes because they are the most widely used
novel non-combustible product.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
pg27:

"In addition, we assume that the per-product (or per-UPC) costs of this proposed rule, including labeling changes and premarket tobacco product applications (PMTAs) are costly, and if there are no valid predicate products for substantial equivalence submissions, electronic cigarettes would necessarily be marketed through the premarket tobacco application pathway.

"There are currently a large number of electronic cigarette products being marketed, some of which have very little market share while others represent product variation among larger market players. Products that do not have sufficient sales to justify incurring the costs of complying with the proposed rule would exit. Products with larger sales will more likely bear these costs to come into compliance with any final rule, but we expect some reduction in the variety of products offered even among larger players."

And if you think they have the consumer in mind in their regulations:

"We acknowledge that product exit reduces product variety and the range of choices available to consumers, but we do not estimate the value of this loss of consumer choice."

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
pg 36

"The estimated cost of premarket tobacco applications for electronic cigarettes is summarized in Table 21. We assume in this analysis that there will not be any premarket applications for other types of products subject to the proposed rule.

Table 21 Costs for Premarket Tobacco Applications (Electronic Cigarettes or Other Novel Tobacco Products)

.................................First 24 months Lower Bound.....First 24 months Medium....First 24 months Upper Bound
Number of applications.............20........................................50..................................80
Time for submission (hours)......5,016...................................5,016..............................5,016
Total cost ($)..........................6,671,079.............................16,677,698.......................26,684,317

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Another fun tidbit:

There are currently a large number of electronic cigarette products being marketed, some
of which have very little market share while others represent minor product variation among
larger market players. Products that do not have sufficient sales to justify incurring the costs of
complying with the proposed rule would exit. Products with larger sales will more likely bear the
costs to come into compliance with any final rule, but we expect some reduction in the variety of
products offered even among the larger players. Therefore, we expect that considerable product
consolidation and exit would occur
; much of it among low-volume products and driven by a
reduction in the number of product variants, as opposed to complete brand exit. Consumers
would choose from the remaining products. A reduction in product variation does not necessarily
imply reduction in total sales volume.

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
does that really say a cost of $6.6 million for 20 applications to to get approved? and thats for a low end estimate

Why yes, yes it does. So they figure about $334,000 per new product application. Then you need to add:

Annual Registration and Product Listing (I haven't nailed down a per vendor cost yet)

Ingredient Listing (seems to cost $200 per ingredient?)

Potentially Harmful Constituants Reporting (no actual cost, but they say "We will estimate the cost of compliance with testing and reporting when those regulations are promulgated; this cost includes not only the cost of submitting the required information, but also the cost of prerequisite product testing if such testing is not already conducted for other reasons. )

Misc Costs (where they throw everything else, and I haven't pulled any specific numbers from it yet)

Only good news seems to be that e-cigs vendors will not be required to pay a share of the quarterly user fees.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Technical Problem with image attched

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
I see some leeway here - but you should read and evaluate for yourselves:

Pg. 57
3. Change New Product “Grandfather Date” to the Date of Issuance of a Final Deeming Regulation

That entire section seems to just be costing different alternative scenario for the proposed rule. But proposed rule seems to have already rejected that.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think we will be alright under the legislation except for the fact that ecigs will eventually replace tobacco for a lot of current smokers. That means a necessary shift in taxation to equalize tax revenues. That could be the death of ecigs if the habit became excessively expensive for chain vapers (many of us).

I was about the post a snippet but MyNewToy did that in post #6. It talks about whether ecigs will become a substitute, a complementary item, or not closely related to tobacco cigarettes and cigars. That section reeks of the tax discussion. The money has to come from somewhere. The government is dependent upon it.

There's also the expected talk about requiring offshore imports to meet the new standards before allowing them into the country. That could be bad for vapers if the cost doubles the price and good for stateside manufacturers of juice and hardware. Will the Chinese comply to keep the market? I think so, but those cheap prices will rise.

Last edited:

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Why yes, yes it does. So they figure about $334,000 per new product application. Then you need to add:

Annual Registration and Product Listing (I haven't nailed down a per vendor cost yet)

Ingredient Listing (seems to cost $200 per ingredient?)

Potentially Harmful Constituants Reporting (no actual cost, but they say "We will estimate the cost of compliance with testing and reporting when those regulations are promulgated; this cost includes not only the cost of submitting the required information, but also the cost of prerequisite product testing if such testing is not already conducted for other reasons. )

Misc Costs (where they throw everything else, and I haven't pulled any specific numbers from it yet)

Only good news seems to be that e-cigs vendors will not be required to pay a share of the quarterly user fees.

And I hope that everyone on this site who has been saying "I'm in favor of regulations to guarantee the quality of e-liquids" takes a long hard look at this.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
That entire section seems to just be costing different alternative scenario for the proposed rule. But proposed rule seems to have already rejected that.

Yeah... this goes back to the discussion DC2 was making on how they're soft selling the hammer. But, I thought to be fair, I'd bring up that particular part.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
does that really say a cost of $6.6 million for 20 applications to to get approved? and thats for a low end estimate
Yes. But ECBlends is "excited" and looking forward to the new regulations. They said as much. :D

Strangely enough, ECB had a FAQ up about this and now I can't find it. I get a lot from them. I've a good mind to dump them just for being so annoyingly flippant about this the day after the deeming regs were released.

Well, if they're going to apply for only one juice flavor, I hope it's my ADV. But since a 30ml bottle would only cost me about $3,000 I'd save it for special occasions.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
I've done some googling today of media reports, and it's clear that at least all-too-many vape store owners seem unconcerned. The fact that we have a small handful of ECF'rs who appear to have no clue about the scope of effects puts us in the upper echelon of awareness, as it were.

Doesn't surprise me that the public is completely mislead, but it seems that large chunks of the non-BV/BT parts of the industry don't seem to "get it" either. In a universe of successful snow jobs, this one stands out.

It's also fairly clear that the report would be thin at best if it only considered vaping products. And it would also be all costs and no quantifiable benefits. No wonder they larded it up with the little cigars.

KODIAK™;12988943 said:
Yes. But ECBlends is "excited" and looking forward to the new regulations. They said as much. :D

Strangely enough, ECB had a FAQ up about this and now I can't find it. I get a lot from them. I've a good mind to dump them just for being so annoyingly flippant about this the day after the deeming regs were released.

Well, if they're going to apply for only one juice flavor, I hope it's my ADV. But since a 30ml bottle would only cost me about $3,000 I'd save it for special occasions.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
pg27:

"In addition, we assume that the per-product (or per-UPC) costs of this proposed rule, including labeling changes and premarket tobacco product applications (PMTAs) are costly, and if there are no valid predicate products for substantial equivalence submissions, electronic cigarettes would necessarily be marketed through the premarket tobacco application pathway.

"There are currently a large number of electronic cigarette products being marketed, some of which have very little market share while others represent product variation among larger market players. Products that do not have sufficient sales to justify incurring the costs of complying with the proposed rule would exit. Products with larger sales will more likely bear these costs to come into compliance with any final rule, but we expect some reduction in the variety of products offered even among larger players."

And if you think they have the consumer in mind in their regulations:

"We acknowledge that product exit reduces product variety and the range of choices available to consumers, but we do not estimate the value of this loss of consumer choice."

K..so..they clearly have no problem with decimating e-cig businesses and limiting choices :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread