Efest LUC 4 questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
1. Although Efest batteries are disdained because of inflated ratings, Efest LUC chargers have been held in high regard.
Battery Charger Review Websites:
Lygte-Info

CandlePowerForums

2. "Compatible with most sizes of cylindrical lithium-ion batteries ranging from 10440 to 26650." -- RTD Vapor

3. According to Mooch:
  • Charging at a slower rate is better, to a point. Most of our 18650 batteries have a "standard" charge rate of 1.0A-1.5A and a "rapid" charge rate of up to 4A. Charging at 0.5A might help extend the life of your batteries a bit but if the batteries are not getting warm at 1.0A then that's a good compromise between battery life and convenience. Going down to 0.375A or 0.25A won't help much versus charging at 0.5A.
  • Charge 18350's at 0.5A until you know that they aren't getting more than a bit warm.
  • Charge 26650's at 1.0A until you know that they aren't getting more than a bit warm. The better 26650's can be charged at up 2.0A without adversely affecting battery life. -- How can we extend the life of our batteries?

Last edited:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
The Luc V4 is a very reliable charger for xx650 cells and I had it in use for a very long time, but its bays are too short for 20700 cells imo. Although you can squeeze them in, it's just a pita and it may damage the wrap/insulator, if you're not very careful.

If 1A charging is fast enough for you, the Enova Gyrfalcon All-44 might be worth a look. I'm very happy with mine at least, and online reviews have been very positive as well.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Salem, OR
I'm surprised that so many are saying not to charge 20700 cells in the Luc 4. I do it all the time and haven't had a bit of a problem. I don't see how they could tear your wraps unless you're jamming them in carelessly. But that could happen with 18650s as well. It's a good idea to always carefully insert batteries in a charger and keep an eye on them while they charge.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm surprised that so many are saying not to charge 20700 cells in the Luc 4. I do it all the time and haven't had a bit of a problem. I don't see how they could tear your wraps unless you're jamming them in carelessly. But that could happen with 18650s as well. It's a good idea to always carefully insert batteries in a charger and keep an eye on them while they charge.

On my luc 6 it is a tight fit. The metal slider has to be extended all the way for a 2x700 to fit in, and when the battery is in there the slider cannot be pulled back at all to release the battery when taking it out. So I will have to stick with my initial response and say that 2x700 batteries do fit, but it is a tight squeeze and that can make it so your battery wraps can get damaged if your not careful. My xtar charger has enough play in the slider that I can pull it back about 2mm which I can then comfortably pull it out. Attached is a couple pics of a 20700 in my luc 6. Second pic is how much room there is between the slider (you can barely see it but it is the shiny part under the battery) and the plastic frame of the charger when a battery is installed.

20180714_174914.jpg
20180714_175127.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: mimöschen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread