EGO-T how to make new wicks that work great...cheaply

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomBoom65

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Suffolk County, New York
I did it!!! And it works great - both with the Zippo wick and the wick material I ordered from the suggested supplier in the looooong wick thread. Sorry - I cannot find it now.

Layed out a length of sewing thread left to right, places the wicking material on the middle of that thread thread and began making knots one after another. Keep your hands close to the table at first until the first knot has the piece secured all together.

All the knots made a nice wedge that holds the new wick in the needle. Soaked the lower part of the new wick, added a drop of BWB 555 to the clean atty, replaced the plate, popped on a tank and vaped away.

Ahhhh! Like new. :) And so cheap too.

Thanks so much for a great mod.

stevenejb

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Kansas City
This is working great so far! What a difference. No more burnt taste from crappy wicking. Bravo!

Update: not sure if the measurements are off or what but the wick is holding juice but is not getting the coil wet. I took the wicking off and the coil was immediately glowing red. I'm not sure what I'll try next. Maybe a longer wick cut so it sits on the coil?

Last edited:

Domtine

Lim Peh
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
North Korea with Disneyland
Guys, zippo wick aren't made of the same material as the one in our attys. I burnt the atty one with a lighter and the shiny white appearance is restored and the gunk gone. Whereas the zippo wicks with the cotton sheath removed melts into a tiny transparent ball. Not sure what are they made of though. The packagin of the zippo wick I bought seems pretty legit. Anyone has got spares lying around for an independant test?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Carl Huang said: Guys, zippo wick aren't made of the same material as the one in our attys. I burnt the atty one with a lighter and the shiny white appearance is restored and the gunk gone. Whereas the zippo wicks with the cotton sheath removed melts into a tiny transparent ball. Not sure what are they made of though. The packagin of the zippo wick I bought seems pretty legit. Anyone has got spares lying around for an independant test?

I'd be wary of anything that melts with flame. Zippo wicks don't melt in the lighter, they deteriorate. There are people on the ECF who use silica rope and some buy quantities and sell it by the foot. A foot will last you practically forever as you unravel a little at a time.

You definitely want material that withstands flame. The tanks are cool, but the Joye eGo-T type A and B were a maintenance hassle for me. Leaks were the reason I finally went to dripper attys and Boge LR Cartos. I've never looked back since. A carto for $1.70 lasts about a week and I chunk it and load up another. I want something I can put in my pocket and not have body heat cause expansion and leaks.

There are some new style tanks that appear to be better than the eGo-T.

This thread talks about building attys and has sources for silica rope.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/135786-some-homemade-attys-genesis.html

Last edited:

DEATHTOCIGS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
TEXAS
The zippo wicks have a cotton shell that will burn, the inner wick is silica or fiberglass, not sure which, however, I tested it and it does not burn. Thats why the instructions say to burn off the cotton shell first. If you want another source for wicking material you can use an old ce2 cartomizer and take the wicking from that or heavensgifts.com sells replacement wicks under their do it yourself section on their web page.

Domtine

Lim Peh
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2011
North Korea with Disneyland
The zippo wicks have a cotton shell that will burn, the inner wick is silica or fiberglass, not sure which, however, I tested it and it does not burn. Thats why the instructions say to burn off the cotton shell first. If you want another source for wicking material you can use an old ce2 cartomizer and take the wicking from that or heavensgifts.com sells replacement wicks under their do it yourself section on their web page.

I used a butane torch on the inner core of the zippo wicks and they really do melt/disintegrate. unlike silica wick(using same torch) which gives a red glow and after it cools the fibres of the wick are still seperate. I would exercise caution when using fibreglass wicks

I'll make a video to demonstrate when I'm able to find time off my work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread