eGo VV Spinner Batteries - Why massive voltage drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Why is it that VV/Spinner eGo batteries have such massive voltage drops. Is it just because they are crappy batteries?

I mean, if I set any of my spinner eGos on 4.8v, put it on a meter, it will read anywhere from 4.7v to 4.9v. But as soon as I put a 2.0 ohm load on it, the voltage drop is about 1 whole volt.

I have many brands of eGo batts and they all have the same massive voltage drops (spinner or not). The higher the resistance on the load, the less the voltage drop, but the drop is always there and noticeable, nonetheless.

Why? Just curious.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I would suppose it's a combination of crappy battery, crappy regulator, crappy wiring that all adds up.

That's what I figure, too.

The question is why are you using Ego batteries still?

To get on peoples' nerves, mainly.

You should see the looks I get from vapers when I bust out my Zmax or my Vamo. Now THAT's what I live for. :cool:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    If it's the Spinner 2, it uses a 1600mah cell. If it's the original Spinner, it's 1300mah. Replaceable cell mods can use a single 18650 that produces 3000mah and a few 18650's are rated at 3400mah.

Mass is a factor with lithium cells. The eGo isn't physically large enough to accept high current cells with more capacity. 4.9v is probably taxing an eGo cell to its limits at 2 ohms, even though that's only a little less than 9 watts.

It's time for a mod that uses an 18650 cell, IMO. Many of us started with an eGo and quickly migrated to replaceable 18650 mods for more vape time and the convenience of carrying a spare 18650 in a battery box when we are away from home.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Guy, gals. I already have 18650 mods. But this is merely a question about the voltage drop on eGo batteries, not a plea or suggestion for a "better device". ;)

Beside, if a person wants to vape eGos, there's no problem with that. No need for "upgrades". If one is happy with what one has (be it an eGo, a cigalike or a literal fog machine), then that's the only thing that matters. :) There really is no such thing as "better" unless one is looking for something "better" or for an "upgrade".

Stop bein' all preachy, man lol. It's all good. I started with an eGo and cigalike and I still use both along with my 18650 mods. They all have their purposes/uses for me and many many others.

I can;t wrap my head around this "you gotta upgrade" mentality. :D What's up wit dat?

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Guy, gals. I already have 18650 mods. But this is merely a question about the voltage drop on eGo batteries, not a plea or suggestion for a "better device". ;)

Beside, if a person wants to vape eGos, there's no problem with that. No need for "upgrades". If one is happy with what one has (be it an eGo, a cigalike or a literal fog machine), then that's the only thing that matters. :) There really is no such thing as "better" unless one is looking for something "better" or for an "upgrade".

Stop bein' all preachy, man lol. It's all good. I started with an eGo and cigalike and I still use both along with my 18650 mods. They both have their purposes for me.

I can;t wrap my head around this "you gotta upgrade" mentality. :D What's up wit dat?

eGo is a starter vape pen. It's one of the commonly purchased vapes when people are trying out vaping and aren't sure whether they will like it. Later, they buy a replaceable cell mod.

Voltage drop is all about ampere hour ratings and load from the atomizer coil. The eGo uses a relatively weak internal cell and that translates to less vape time, especially at 2 ohms or lower. We vaped 3 and 4 ohm coils in 2010. 2 ohm vaping was the low end and some considered it to be dangerous back then with the hardware and batteries available. It's the reason our eGo vape pens are in storage these days. That's not to say they aren't useful for pocket carry, but mine have been in a shoe box in the closet for many years since replaceable 18650 and 21700 mods hit the market.

That said, the newer eGo's have better cells inside than the models I used back in 2010-2012. Mine had a miniscule 650ma cell with no hard shell. It was wrapped in a foil cover inside the eGo tube with wires soldered to the ends. It required multiple charges in a day of vaping.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    That said, the newer eGo's have better cells inside than the models I used back in 2010-2012.

Really? What brands? I wanna try them out.

All my VV/Spinner eGos are "Vision" (regular and spinner II) and one Smokthech. All are 4 years old or so. They all have the same exact voltage drop.

Well, I also have Innokin VV4 ego, but I don't count those as the same class of ego battery. They are more like a fixed battery VV/VW mod with eGo threads.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Really? What brands? I wanna try them out.

All my VV/Spinner eGos are "Vision" (regular and spinner II) and one Smokthech. All are 4 years old or so. They all have the same exact voltage drop.

Well, I also have Innokin VV4 ego, but I don't count those as the same class of ego battery. They are more like a fixed battery VV/VW mod.

The ones I was talking about were circa 2010-2011. The cell inside was foil wrapped inside a shrink tubing with wires directly soldered to the cell and internal electronics. The cell was a little larger than a #2 pencil. Modern ones appear to be manufactured using a better design using a more modern cell with solder contacts. The size of the eGo tube requires that the cell be thinner than an 18650.

The voltage drop is consistent with the power of the cells used. Small cells are rated at lower power capacity. I was comparing the first eGo batteries to pictures of a disassembled recent design. They are definitely a better design today.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baditude

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Looks like you posted an image, but the link is broke.

I wonder if that "better design" is only for certain brands, though. I have my doubts that most of the eGos on the market (spinner or fixed voltage) have components in them because the prices I see are either the same or less than they used to be years ago.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'll never believe that until I get one in my hand and can test it on a meter. China never improves outdated vape hardware. They usually just make them cheaper to justify continued production. But I could be wrong. But China has no incentive to make eGo batteries better when "pod" systems are the new eGo and since vapers usually frown upon them anyway.

If someone can give me a brand and place to buy and eGo batt that is supposed to be "new and improved", I'll gladly buy one - after I've hoarded my nic base - and test it (which will be a while).

What I've noticed they are doing with eGo batts is they are removing the eGo threading and just making them 510 batts. And if they are spinners they are making them 2.0v to 4.0V rather than the normal 3.2V to 4.8V. This is because they are catering to the CBD crows (which I guess needs lower wattages? Not sure).

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    The 510 connection has become universal. There's a wide range of atomizer/battery mods that are compatible with each other through the 510 connection. eGo seems to be conforming to that standard, also. That's a good thing. The 510 connection opens up options for atomizers that eGo never had before. Interchangeability makes the eGo options endless, but there's still better battery life options with 510 mods that use the replaceable 18650 option.

The iStick Pico 75W is a good transition from the eGo. You get the best options along with a pocket sized mod with replaceable 18650 power and compatibility with most all 22mm 510 atomizers.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The iStick Pico 75W is a good transition from the eGo.

I have 3 Picos and about 10 other 18650 mods.

I still use egos and cigalikes (mostly auto batts) with LR atties filled with tasty RY4 to simulate the relaxing act of smoking a cigarette (the cigalike) and a cigar (the eGo), which a heavy box form factor can't give.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    UncleJunkle: if I set any of my spinner eGos on 4.8v, put it on a meter, it will read anywhere from 4.7v to 4.9v. But as soon as I put a 2.0 ohm load on it, the voltage drop is about 1 whole volt.

That voltage drop is related to the low current capacity of the cell inside the eGo. An 18650 or 21700 mod will handle a two ohm load and give you hours of vaping, maybe most of the day. I don't see an eGo battery providing more than 3 or 4 hours. Years ago when I vaped eGo's I was charging every few hours. It's just the nature of the beast.

Reactions: Baditude
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread