EHPro Kayfun Lite Plus v2 screw broke in two on negative post....arghhhhhhhhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
Anyone know where I can replace the base for this at a reasonable cost. Put a new coil on it today and had some trouble getting the first part of the chimney to screw down.

Took out the screw on the negative post and redid that side (seemed to be sticking out a bit too much on the side of the screw) and snap it went. After a minute of disbelief I unscrewed the whole thing and realized I'm %$%^ out of luck and need to order another one.

I would like to replace it with the same EHPro version and not a fasttech model. I'm so bummed right now.......

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The end of the screw is stuck in the base? You could try very carefully removing it if you can find a 1mm left handed drill bit. I think those are 1.6mm diameter screws.

If you can't, you could drill it out carefully. Try something smaller than a 1mm bit first. Then a 1mm, and hopefully that's enough for what's left of the screw to fall apart and come out. A drill press is your best bet for accuracy here.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
Was trying that and it doesn't seem to move. Put it in the freezer for a bit and will give it another try. It is really stuck in there and don't have a 1mm drill bit to try. I'll probably give it to my son in law if I can't get it to budge. Where can you buy the EHPro base from on it's own would be great info if someone knows.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
Roxynoodle that was my next thing to try. I do have a dremel with lots of attachments I got a few years ago from my wife as a present.

I was trying to solder the broken screw on it last night (have no skills in this area lol) and failed miserably. The dremel idea will probably work and the device should still function properly. The ugliness will be hidden anyways by the chimney piece.

Will try this later today and share if it was a success. Wish me luck lol.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
The end of the screw is stuck in the base? You could try very carefully removing it if you can find a 1mm left handed drill bit. I think those are 1.6mm diameter screws.

If you can't, you could drill it out carefully. Try something smaller than a 1mm bit first. Then a 1mm, and hopefully that's enough for what's left of the screw to fall apart and come out. A drill press is your best bet for accuracy here.

The likelihood of drilling out a screw that small and tapping new threads is pretty slim, actually impossible without spending more on tools than the clone is worth...just sayin.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The likelihood of drilling out a screw that small and tapping new threads is pretty slim, actually impossible without spending more on tools than the clone is worth...just sayin.

You don't have to retap if you're very precise. Hence my suggestion of the drill press. Not everyone has one, but most of us probably know someone who does. If you don't have the drill bits, they only cost a couple of dollars. I always try a left handed bit first to back it out. It almost always works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread