eJuice safety - Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl in Popular Brands...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
I don't like that you have breathing problems but I appreciate, a lot, when people are honest about what they experience while vaping. I truly believe that even though we don't always have something good to report, it can only lead to improvements. Thanks for commenting - it helps me to be more cautious about what liquids I'll use. :)
I was sub-ohming these liquids and have been in and out of doctors ever since. Be careful!

MattyRetro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Acton, Maine, United States
Why cant people just read the results for what they are? VS decided to test the whole catalog of liquids they sell. Obviously, AP and DA are a concern for them so they have made their own line 100% ND. Good for them. If they want to pay for the testing then let them post the results. Also, when did enthalpy start reporting inaccurate results? Is that what happened to Suicide Bunny? The results that Russ got from enthalpy on his SB tests were inaccurate? Sometimes you just have to accept things for what they are. Some vendors dont care at all about AP and DA levels, while others strive to make sure their liquids are clean.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Why cant people just read the results for what they are? VS decided to test the whole catalog of liquids they sell. Obviously, AP and DA are a concern for them so they have made their own line 100% ND. Good for them. If they want to pay for the testing then let them post the results. Also, when did enthalpy start reporting inaccurate results? Is that what happened to Suicide Bunny? The results that Russ got from enthalpy on his SB tests were inaccurate? Sometimes you just have to accept things for what they are. Some vendors dont care at all about AP and DA levels, while others strive to make sure their liquids are clean.
i think some of us are reading the reports as they are.
slick marketing and very smart marketing i might add.
the results actually are meaningless as there is no credible
evidence that diacetyl and acetyl related illness are non-industry
related problems.
where are the sick vapers? where are the sick bakers? where
are the sick candy makers? what about those guys that make
those flavor packets for our Ramen noodles? candle makers
and users?
a statistically unimportant sub group involved in the making
of microwave popcorn,flavor making and,recently a isolated
case from the coffee roasting industry have been affected.
that is all.
ND in the test results means nothing found in parts per million.
Suicide bunnies results confirmed their juice was ND.
Suicide Bunny is a perfect example of a hatchet job brought
to us by the self proclaimed gatekeepers of the vaping 'community'.
:2c:
regards
mike

Reactions: ImThatGuy

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
and users?

Not sure if serious. There have been cases of B.O in people working in bakeries.

that is all.

It isn't just one case at coffee plants. One doctor found 4 people at one plant that had severe respiratory disease.

I highly recommend you read this story.

No they didn't. Numerous people from outside SB tested SB's liquids independently and found high levels of DA and/or AP.

regards
mike

Not a hatchet job. SB claimed their liquids were clean but test results from various labs (one in France) proves otherwise. SB was fully deserving of all the criticism they got. Pip is a liar.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Not sure if serious. There have been cases of B.O in people working in bakeries.

It isn't just one case at coffee plants. One doctor found 4 people at one plant that had severe respiratory disease.

I highly recommend you read this story.

No they didn't. Numerous people from outside SB tested SB's liquids independently and found high levels of DA and/or AP.

Not a hatchet job. SB claimed their liquids were clean but test results from various labs (one in France) proves otherwise. SB was fully deserving of all the criticism they got. Pip is a liar.
i am not aware of any cases of popcorn lung related to baking nor found any in related research.
actually it was 2 cases as reported in numerous stories.
SB's testing showed otherwise. it was a drive by hatchet job which
no doubt impressed those fine folks at vapershark.
regards
mike

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
i think some of us are reading the reports as they are.
slick marketing and very smart marketing i might add.
the results actually are meaningless as there is no credible
evidence that diacetyl and acetyl related illness are non-industry
related problems.
and users?
that is all.
regards
mike
I am a sick former vaper...

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
where are the sick vapers?

So, you have performed or they have had performed, lung function tests on themselves?

Donate to Dr Farsalinos' new study | Page 8 | E-Cigarette Forum

"The incidence of COPD in smokers is up to 15%. The incidence of bronchiolitis obliterans by diacetyl exposure is extremely low. In fact, only few cases have ever being documented. Most commonly, diacetyl exposure causes a decline in lung function which can be detected by a reduction in FEV1. This is much more common that development of bronchiolitis obliterans. However, this can be easily misdiagnosed as COPD. Therefore, we absolutely disagree with the conclusions by Pierce et al." ............" acetyl propionyl is not any better than diacetyl (although there are fewer studies verifying this). In my opinion, acetyl propionyl should NOT be used........"

Also, how long did it take "sick smokers" to appear? Many Decades..... right?

of microwave popcorn,flavor making and,recently a isolated case from the coffee roasting industry have been affected.

Bronchiolitis obliterans. That is what you are talking about, right?

.... because that is NOT what some of us are talking about.

We are talking about decline in lung function, and COPD .....

(This CONSTANT referral to BO, and using it to prove that no vapers have gotten it, while leaving out the more important information about decline in lung function and COPD is becoming annoying.......it's like telling half the story in order to make a point.......and each time I encounter it I will post the other information. )

Last edited:

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
So, you have performed or they have had performed, lung function tests on themselves?

Donate to Dr Farsalinos' new study | Page 8 | E-Cigarette Forum

"The incidence of COPD in smokers is up to 15%. The incidence of bronchiolitis obliterans by diacetyl exposure is extremely low. In fact, only few cases have ever being documented. Most commonly, diacetyl exposure causes a decline in lung function which can be detected by a reduction in FEV1. This is much more common that development of bronchiolitis obliterans. However, this can be easily misdiagnosed as COPD. Therefore, we absolutely disagree with the conclusions by Pierce et al." ............" acetyl propionyl is not any better than diacetyl (although there are fewer studies verifying this). In my opinion, acetyl propionyl should NOT be used........"

Also, how long did it take "sick smokers" to appear? Many Decades..... right?

Bronchiolitis obliterans. That is what you are talking about, right?

.... because that is NOT what some of us are talking about.

We are talking about decline in lung function, and COPD .....

(This CONSTANT referral to BO, and using it to prove that no vapers have gotten it, while leaving out the more important information about decline in lung function and COPD is becoming annoying.......it's like telling half the story in order to make a point.......and each time I encounter it I will post the other information. )

I can personally say that while I don't technically have BO, I have a reduction in FEF25-75%, indicative of small airway disease. I have shortness of breath. All of this occurred in under a year of vaping. There is a problem somewhere, and diketones are the first step in making vaping truly safe.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
some type of regulation is needed to protect the consumer
I DO wish we could get reliable, accurate information about what's in our juice. But asking for regulation is asking for decimation of vaping... the FDA or any other gov't regulatory agency won't make our juices safer, they will just ban them.

BT closed cartridges with tobacco flavors and who-knows-what chemicals will be all that's available if FDA has their way. Careful what you ask for!

mr.fabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Southern Cal
I DO wish we could get reliable, accurate information about what's in our juice. But asking for regulation is asking for decimation of vaping... the FDA or any other gov't regulatory agency won't make our juices safer, they will just ban them.

BT closed cartridges with tobacco flavors and who-knows-what chemicals will be all that's available if FDA has their way. Careful what you ask for!

Reliable and accurate information for juice ingredients is what I seek. Educating the FDA to make fact based decisions vs. politically base ones would be great. Rather than control or regulate vaping, I'd rather have the FDA approve all the ingredients that a juicemaker can use to concoct their special blends. That way, the safety of what's in our juice is protected at the root level, and a juicemaker secret recipe can be maintained. It's kind of like the FDA addresses food coloring.. a food manufacturer can color their product but can only use an FDA approved dye to do so.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Well, I'm sitting at 85% on fev1... Minor reduction, almost clinically insignificant.

Then again, I'm only 26....

You say you vaped for under a year and you have significant pulmonary obstruction? Are there any other explanations for your condition that you or your doctor can think of?

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
You say you vaped for under a year and you have significant pulmonary obstruction? Are there any other explanations for your condition that you or your doctor can think of?

No other reasoning. I do have a allergy to dust mites which is new, but all treatment has failed. This was sudden onset in the middle of sub ohm vaping. All blood tests are normal other than low vitamin d, which is being treated. Have taken prednisone, singulair, advair 250/50, Allegra. Many many treatments. Fixed obstruction. Not enough to be classified as copd but enough to notice. Will post about my upcoming contrast ct.

Oh, and lungs sound clear and X-rays are clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread