Status
Not open for further replies.

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I can't seem to think of anything else that's going wrong except the actual wick.

I went out and dropped $30 on a brûlée torch, torched both my 2mm ekowool and my 32g kanthal and made a 1.9ohm coil. Tested it out and it tastes burnt and gross.

I don't know what else I'm doing wrong because the coil looks fine IMO and is not touching the sides/itself.

The only thing I can think of is I wrapped the coil too tight? The ekowool also turned a bit fuzzy/frayed after I tried to space out the coils evenly.. Perhaps the fuzz is burning?

For reference I am trying to rebuild a Kanger T3S head

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I can't seem to think of anything else that's going wrong except the actual wick.

I went out and dropped $30 on a brûlée torch, torched both my 2mm ekowool and my 32g kanthal and made a 1.9ohm coil. Tested it out and it tastes burnt and gross.

I don't know what else I'm doing wrong because the coil looks fine IMO and is not touching the sides/itself.

The only thing I can think of is I wrapped the coil too tight? The ekowool also turned a bit fuzzy/frayed after I tried to space out the coils evenly.. Perhaps the fuzz is burning?

For reference I am trying to rebuild a Kanger T3S head

It's possible that the coil IS wrapped a little too tightly, effectively "choking off" the wick and letting it dry out.

It looks like those T3S heads are similar to the Protank heads, and I've rebuilt a few of those myself. One thing to watch out for, if you seat the coil too low in the head, you'll start to burn up the rubber insulator plug in the bottom.

gjustin79

Coil Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
It's possible that the coil IS wrapped a little too tightly, effectively "choking off" the wick and letting it dry out.

It looks like those T3S heads are similar to the Protank heads, and I've rebuilt a few of those myself. One thing to watch out for, if you seat the coil too low in the head, you'll start to burn up the rubber insulator plug in the bottom.

Except I don't think it's the rubber, cause it tastes the same way as the wick I "charred" with a Bic lighter smelled before getting the torch... Figured the torch would be better.. :(

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I've personally not had success with ekowool on the kanger coils. Silica or cotton works better for me. The only ekowool I have is 3mm and I think it might be a little too thick? And didn't seem to soak up juice properly in the kangers...

I've used the same ekowool in a dripper and it works great. Holds lots of juice. But again, that's in a little genetic dripper....of course YMMV

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread