Eleaf IStick Pico 75w info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Vape

Jan 31, 2018
I am new to the whole “Vape scene”,. Trying to quit smoking.
I just bought a Eleaf iStick Pico 75watt with the Melo 3 mini tank. I’m using 70/30 juice with 3mg nicotine.
I ordered a 22mm heat sink so I can put on a bigger tank.
I have a couple questions.
With putting on a bigger tank I am thinking about getting the Smok TFV12 Cloud Beast tank for two reasons. #1 it’s bigger,.
#2 because I previously had the Smok V8 and it had a great flavor. My question is will my IStick Pico put out enough watts to use the Cloud Beast tank?
Secondly,. This iStick can control watts, temp etc. etc. and I don’t know squat about all that.
Is there a reason the flavor isn’t quite as good in the PICO as it was in the Smok V8? Does my wattage and temp etc. have to do with that?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, generally ultra low resistance tanks will use up more battery life due to higher wattage needs. I don't know how great your battery life will be depending on what you plan to run that tank at. I briefly owned this setup but didn't use the proprietary coils.

Why not try the Smok V8 instead, I think they offer some higher resistance coils? You would have been vaping your smok stick at 60 watts, fixed, I think, as I believe it's not a variable wattage setup. So I'd expect you to be vaping that tank (unless it's an all in one tank) similarly.... That doesn't leave you a lot of "head room" so I'd expect you to be switching out batteries frequently, although if you are willing to do that, you certainly can.

TC isn't going to work with any smok tank, I don't think. I don't believe they make TC capable coils, although I may be totally wrong on that.

I might suggest a Uwell Crown 3 tank, that has a lot of different resistance coils and I think some of them might be capable of TC?

TC is a bit different than wattage, it is controlled via setting a ramp up wattage and then using the correct setting for your coil material (e.g. stainless steel, titanium, or nickel) and choosing a maximum temp... The coil will fire until you reach the maximum temp required, and then dial the wattage back to reduce temperature. It's a smooth, even consistent vape.

You can't use Kanthal in TC mode.

I'm sure others will be along with more Smok knowledge than myself.

Anna

Reactions: Kazabelle

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My question is will my IStick Pico put out enough watts to use the Cloud Beast tank?
75 watts should be plenty for any tank. But much would depend upon what wattage you vape at and which batteries you are using.

What batteries specifically are you using? Make and model number.
What wattage setting do you usually vape at?
This iStick can control watts, temp etc. etc. and I don’t know squat about all that.
  • Watts is a derived unit of power. Voltage is a simple measurement. Wattage is a calculation.
    In a nutshell, wattage (power) is equal to the voltage squared divided by the resistance of the atomizer. In a variable wattage device, it reads the resistance of the atomizer and calculates the voltage needed based on your wattage setting. I know that sounds complicated, but you don't really have to understand that part. Let's move on...
  • Volts = the level of power (force) coming out of the battery.
    Watts = the amount of power (work) coming through your atomizer.
  • Ohms = measured unit of resistance of a wire coil. Determines the amount of electrical current that will pass through the coil and thereby determines the amount of heat generated by the coil.
  • Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
Basically, what you have is a regulated mod. You now have the ability to set the power output (wattage) on the fly to suit your preference throughout the day. For example, I like to vape around 30 watts earlier in the day. Later in the day I may like to vape at 40 watts. What YOU like is personal and individually unique. Variable power was a game changer for me.

I'm not entirely educated with Temperature Control and don't use it, but its another method of supplying power to a coil. TC requires specific wire coils such as Nickle or Stainless Steel. Can You Explain Temp Control Vaping to an Old Fart ?

Is there a reason the flavor isn’t quite as good in the PICO as it was in the Smok V8? Does my wattage and temp etc. have to do with that?
It very well could. Try experimenting with different power settings. Start on the low end and gradually work your way higher. If the vapor gets to hot or otherwise tastes burnt, work you way down to find your "sweet spot".

Having said that, different tanks (and coils) may deliver a different vaping experience (in flavor and or vapor production), however the battery device shouldn't be that much of a factor. It's only supplying power to the tank and coil. The coil is what is creating the flavor and the vapor (in addition to the e-liquid).

Last edited:

New2Vape

Jan 31, 2018
Well, generally ultra low resistance tanks will use up more battery life due to higher wattage needs. I don't know how great your battery life will be depending on what you plan to run that tank at. I briefly owned this setup but didn't use the proprietary coils.

Why not try the Smok V8 instead, I think they offer some higher resistance coils? You would have been vaping your smok stick at 60 watts, fixed, I think, as I believe it's not a variable wattage setup. So I'd expect you to be vaping that tank (unless it's an all in one tank) similarly.... That doesn't leave you a lot of "head room" so I'd expect you to be switching out batteries frequently, although if you are willing to do that, you certainly can.

TC isn't going to work with any smok tank, I don't think. I don't believe they make TC capable coils, although I may be totally wrong on that.

I might suggest a Uwell Crown 3 tank, that has a lot of different resistance coils and I think some of them might be capable of TC?

TC is a bit different than wattage, it is controlled via setting a ramp up wattage and then using the correct setting for your coil material (e.g. stainless steel, titanium, or nickel) and choosing a maximum temp... The coil will fire until you reach the maximum temp required, and then dial the wattage back to reduce temperature. It's a smooth, even consistent vape.

You can't use Kanthal in TC mode.

I'm sure others will be along with more Smok knowledge than myself.

Anna
Thank you Anna!
I’m slowly getting it figured out.
I liked my Smok V8 but after 2 days it stopped working so I returned it and bought this IStick Pico. Only had it for a few hours but so far so good.
Thanks for your reply.

Hey!

First, let me tell you that the Melo III Mini tank has a 22mm Diameter. The Smok TFV12 has a Diameter of 25mm, and it will not fit on the Pico. The cover for the battery sits on the top of the mod and screws in right next to the tank. So, you won't be able to fit any tanks on the device that are larger than 22mm in Diameter. Sorry, but I own one and made this mistake myself. Lol
As far as the flavor being better in the Smok tank - every tank is differemy. They all use different coils and have different ways for the airflow to reach the coil. The Melo tank didn't impress me much either. To answer your question, yes the Pico at 75Watts max would have been enough to use with the TFV12. It just won't fit on the mod.

OhmzRaw

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2015
#1 The TFV12 Cloud Beast would need high wattage. When using high wattages on the Pico, battery life wouldn't be too good.

#2 I would think that the reason you preferred the TFV8 flavor was because of the coil heads. I find the SMOK tanks to be really nice. Yes there probably are some other great tanks out there but I haven't tried all to give you a honest opinion on the other tanks.

Keep in mind that to use Temperature Control (TC) mode, you need to have a coil in the tank that it made with Ni, Ti or SS. I personally do not like TC mode but you may like it. When using the Kanthal coil heads, you get various types such as the Octuple coil etc. Different coils require different wattages. I personally find that the big coil heads (the ones with 3 or 3 coils in them) to be really nice.

Since you like the SMOK tanks I would highly suggest that you take a look at some of the newer SMOK kits. I'm sure they'll have a dual battery mod that suites your taste. The reason I suggest this is because the SMOK kits come with the tank (either the TFV12 Prince or the TFV8). A dual cell mod will be to your advantage as it offers better battery life.

I hope this helps you and that you find a setup that you like.

New2Vape

Jan 31, 2018
Hey!

First, let me tell you that the Melo III Mini tank has a 22mm Diameter. The Smok TFV12 has a Diameter of 25mm, and it will not fit on the Pico. The cover for the battery sits on the top of the mod and screws in right next to the tank. So, you won't be able to fit any tanks on the device that are larger than 22mm in Diameter. Sorry, but I own one and made this mistake myself. Lol
As far as the flavor being better in the Smok tank - every tank is differemy. They all use different coils and have different ways for the airflow to reach the coil. The Melo tank didn't impress me much either. To answer your question, yes the Pico at 75Watts max would have been enough to use with the TFV12. It just won't fit on the mod.
You actually can use bigger tanks,. If you look on eBay you can buy a 22mm heat sink,. They are the same size as the Melo 3 tank,. They screw in where the tank does, then you screw the tank into the heat sink,. This raises the tank higher allowing you to use bigger tanks because they will now fit over the battery cap. They are also supposed to keep the battery and tank cooler. They sell for anywhere between $1.69-$6

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
You really don't want to try driving a TFV12 tank with a Pico 75. I have five of those. They are great little mods because they're small, tough as nails and very versatile.

But for anything taking 50+ Watts just to taste good, your battery like will suck. Even using the Sony VTC5A batteries, you'll have to carry extra batteries and extra juice.

If you really want to use the TFV12 line of tanks, you need a two battery mod.

Somebody upthread mentioned the Baby Beast. That's a great fit on the Pico, and the 0.40 and 0.60 Ohm coils are very tasty at about 40-50 Watts. But those are juice guzzlers too, and at 2.5ml capacity you'll still need to carry juice if you're out and about.

The original Uwell Crown is excellent. The Vaporesso Estoc is fantastic. Kanger Toptank Mini is great. All of those are higher capacity tanks with longer lasting coils and great flavor in the 40-ish Watt range, which is just right for a 75-Watt mod.

Don't worry about temp control yet. That can take some time to learn and you would probably be best served just finding the right tanks and juice flavors to keep you off tobacco. For now. The Pico (and all mods using that chipset) do TC well. It's even better and more customizable with third party firmware. When you get the hang of that, the little bitty Pico has power and options rivalling devices that cost much, much more than $30-ish.

One more thing--there are no batteries currently available to vapers that can consistently and safely deliver 75 Watts of power over a reasonably long time frame. The Sony VTC5A cells can do it for a little while, and so can a few others. But all of them will be short lived and not cost effective over time. If you want to do high (50+) Watt vaping, you will pay dearly for batteries, juice and coils.

I love the Pico 75's. They helped me finally kick the habit.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. Yes, if you can fit it on there-- if your heat sink is taller than the battery cap, maybe; of course you'd have to remove the tank to change the battery-- but really, it's not enough mod for that tank. If you get above 40ish watts on any single battery mod, battery life is horrible.

New2Vape

Jan 31, 2018
Thanks, I will have to look into those tanks. I was only looking at the TFV12 because of the size, and because I liked the hinged top filler on the Smok V8,. They also had great taste. I just don’t like having to constantly refill this small Melo 3 tank. I am also noticing the battery going low often but I’m chain vaping,. I’ll have to buy some extra batteries and an external charger.
On a good note,. I normally smoke 2 packs a day,. Got my Pico yesterday and only smoked half a cig sense.
And really the cig tasted like crap after smoking the vape.
It’s got to me healthier than smoking cigarettes.
Thanks for all the info everyone.

What’s your input on Aspire Nautilus tanks? I’ve read that they work well.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Thanks, I will have to look into those tanks. I was only looking at the TFV12 because of the size, and because I liked the hinged top filler on the Smok V8,. They also had great taste. I just don’t like having to constantly refill this small Melo 3 tank. I am also noticing the battery going low often but I’m chain vaping,. I’ll have to buy some extra batteries and an external charger.
On a good note,. I normally smoke 2 packs a day,. Got my Pico yesterday and only smoked half a cig sense.
And really the cig tasted like crap after smoking the vape.
It’s got to me healthier than smoking cigarettes.
Thanks for all the info everyone.

What’s your input on Aspire Nautilus tanks? I’ve read that they work well.
The Nautilus is a nearly bulletproof mouth-to-lung tank. It has a tighter draw than the tank you're using now and better mimics smoking a cigarette. Some people prefer that technique. It uses less energy but produces less vapor. If you think you might like it, try it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can also probably run that tank on your pico with ease. It will fit and its wattage needs are much less. I'd say it would be a good choice to try to see how you like MTL vaping. The Melo III (to me) is this weird hybrid tank and I didn't care for the vape. The pico itself can be a great mod with the right tank pairing.

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
PS - I would like to recommend the Original Baby Beast tank by Smok! It has a small diameter and that is what I used with my Pico.
You actually can use bigger tanks,. If you look on eBay you can buy a 22mm heat sink,. They are the same size as the Melo 3 tank,. They screw in where the tank does, then you screw the tank into the heat sink,. This raises the tank higher allowing you to use bigger tanks because they will now fit over the battery cap. They are also supposed to keep the battery and tank cooler. They sell for anywhere between $1.69-$6

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of that option. Wasn't trying to mislead him, just didn't want him wasting money like I did. Appreciate You!

Blueraider11

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cane Ridge, TN, USA
Welcome to ECF! If you want a bigger tank but only have room for a 22m tank. The top fill Kanger subtank mini might be good on your pico. You can have sub ohm or high ohm coils and even a single coil rda to learn on. Taste is good with this tank and can be run @ less watts (more battery time) than the smok tank. Good luck to you! :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread