Eleaf Istick

Status
Not open for further replies.

stulda

Jan 5, 2015
Inverness, UK
That's the thing. After sitting a while, the head should be fully saturated and not need primer puffs, unless the tank is vapor-locking and liquid is not flowing. In which case, crack the tank open and let the pressure equalize.

An over-saturated wick can give a super-saturated vape, increasing the intensity of flavor and nic content. If you are sensitive to PG or nic, this could also be the issue.

I wish vaping weren't so complicated...

That's what I thought. It just happen to be a case each time I put my iStick down for a while. When I keep vaping every minute or so it's completely fine. As I said it tastes really horrid but after 10-15 puffs it's all good all of a sudden. Can't get my head around it. Tried all airflow settings and the result is the same.
It's a shame knowing when I put my mod down for a while it will taste like someone's shoes. I swapped the coils earlier and same thing occurs.
Anyways almost 22 hours smoke free. Already breaking the record.. that only shows how addicted I've been to analogs.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Also the i50 is better suited for the high voltage vaping that I've been doing. I'm a little shocked that i50 can put out 9v on oscope.. I keep wondering what the catch is.. Probably that the output will fade with the batteries.. I hope not.. But the tests are always done with a fully charged battery which doesn't reflect on a day of vaping it.. The tests i am more concerned with are how is the output with a half depleted battery? Stacked batteries and bucking down from 8v prevented this fade issue with the old 15w chips..

I guess I'll find out soon because the s150 is too big for me and I don't subohm or need that much power..

The size of the i50 blows me away, they've done an excellent job of engineering it to be no bigger than it needs to be. And the price is out of this world.. Not mention I won't have to buy more 18650s.

Thanks for the discussion.

Thanks for the link to oscope charts.

I was also surprised that the i50 was speced for 10V on a 3.7v supply. The increased current from the dual/parallel batts and lower internal resistance of the Li-Po chemistry probably aid in attaining the 10V. I don't think 10V could be attained from a dual/parallel 18650 setup. I've always been a big fan of 7.4V bucking chipsets. But Eleaf has created a great 50W device at an even better price-point. I would, however, like to see some oscope traces with the batteries in the 3.3-3.4V range. But vapers seem to be loving it.

Good luck!

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
Is the gs air pretty much just a gs16 but with air flow control? I've pretty much decided on completely switching over to carto tanks, but would still like something else, I'm about to throw my protank2 against a wall :-x but will definitely try out the v3 afc for it before I do lol
before tossing the protank may i suggest trying these vertical coils from fasttech......i gave up on my protanks forever ago and just been using my drippers
but these coils gave my drippers a run for their money, i was very impressed by the flavor and vapor production
https://www.fasttech.com/p/2018800
i think you might like them....i believe the vertical coil only comes in 1.8ohm (the 1ohm looks like it is too, but not sure) and at only $4.89 for a 5-pack it's at least worth tring ;) and then of course the airflow control valves...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011133/1654500-authentic-airflow-control-valve-for-protank-2
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10010901/1930808-authentic-airflow-control-valve-for-aerotank-v2
but of course with fasttech don't hold your breath....plan on waiting about 30 days....

Zanzabar78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Jordan
Hey thanks!

Yeah I've decided that, based on the the oscopes I've seen on the i50, the chip is much different than the old 15w chips. That suffered efficency issues at higher power. It obviously doesnt have trouble pumping out major power with dual 18650s parallel and a 4v input.

i50 oscope tests vrs others. -
http://m.imgur.com/a/OPSur

I was getting a day (6ml) out of new 18350s maxed out at 24+w. So with the i50 I should get two days at 25-30w. This will be great because battery life is very important to me.

Also the i50 is better suited for the high voltage vaping that I've been doing. I'm a little shocked that i50 can put out 9v on oscope.. I keep wondering what the catch is.. Probably that the output will fade with the batteries.. I hope not.. But the tests are always done with a fully charged battery which doesn't reflect on a day of vaping it.. The tests i am more concerned with are how is the output with a half depleted battery? Stacked batteries and bucking down from 8v prevented this fade issue with the old 15w chips..

I guess I'll find out soon because the s150 is too big for me and I don't subohm or need that much power..

The size of the i50 blows me away, they've done an excellent job of engineering it to be no bigger than it needs to be. And the price is out of this world.. Not mention I won't have to buy more 18650s.

Thanks for the discussion.
Thanks for the scope tests! Been looking for that! Looks like the iStick kicks ...

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Katdarling shamed me so bad about my scratched and greasy 20 that I wrapped it in vinyl carbon fiber.

WOW! Lookin' good, mud!!!!!!

That's the thing. After sitting a while, the head should be fully saturated and not need primer puffs, unless the tank is vapor-locking and liquid is not flowing. In which case, crack the tank open and let the pressure equalize.

An over-saturated wick can give a super-saturated vape, increasing the intensity of flavor and nic content. If you are sensitive to PG or nic, this could also be the issue.

I wish vaping weren't so complicated...

:lol: Vaping is complicated? :lol:

Thanks for the link to oscope charts.

I was also surprised that the i50 was speced for 10V on a 3.7v supply. The increased current from the dual/parallel batts and lower internal resistance of the Li-Po chemistry probably aid in attaining the 10V. I don't think 10V could be attained from a dual/parallel 18650 setup. I've always been a big fan of 7.4V bucking chipsets. But Eleaf has created a great 50W device at an even better price-point. I would, however, like to see some oscope traces with the batteries in the 3.3-3.4V range. But vapers seem to be loving it.

Good luck!

Gave ya a "like", alden, even if I understood not a drop of what you said. :blush:

ObsceneJesster

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Baltimore
Hey Isticks, stopping by... I may be joining the club.

Strongly considering the Istick 50.. Or the sigelie 100/150.. I have to have dual batteries only really need 50w at this time..

I would prefer series(stacked) but since this is my first box form mod I'm worried the sigelie 100/150 is a bit too large.. .. Oh the sigelie 50 is not an option with single battery..

For reference I have been using a zmax v3 with stacked 18350 for the last year. Put out 24 watts and the stacked 18350 even last me 3 times longer than an 18650..

Just get both. I just picked up an i50 today to replace my i30 as my "going out for a few hours" kit. Heck, the i50 will even last if I stay out all day. When I'm home however, the i50 doesn't have to power to feed half of my set-ups/builds. I need my S150. Vaping quad twisted 26g at 110 watts has opened up a new door for me.

The i50 is an awesome device though. I can't believe how small it is for packing all this power. I can't wait to see what they do next.......iStick 100 please!!!! The i50 has quickly became one of my favorite mods I've ever owned. If i had to pick just one mod though currently, it would have to be the Sig 150 for power alone.

One small last note. It's hard to explain but the power coming off my mods with YiHi chips (Sig 150 and IPV3) feels cleaner and more instant than the power coming off the i50. On some of my builds (mostly the twisted and multi coil builds) I can run my YiHi chips at 40 watts and the i50 at 40 watts however it seems that the YiHi chips are heating up the coils noticeably faster. So much so that I'll start pressing the button on my i50 as soon as I pick it up so that the coils pre-heat before taking a toke.

mudram99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2014
South Jawja, United States
WOW! Lookin' good, mud!!!!!!

You are far to kind lady. I do really like the material though. That was my first attempt at my son's apartment. I bought that to do some trim pieces on his dash and wound up with a good bit left over so I figured iStick wraps would be great. I tried to trim it in with a dull pocket knife. I will redo it and this time use a exacto and think I can get a much better job. If you look closely the edges where I cut it in are poopy :)
Now I don't want to put it away and use my 30 :)

P.S. I used the gripper for the first time this weekend, thats a sweet little stealth vape! Thanks :thumbs:

Last edited:

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
before tossing the protank may i suggest trying these vertical coils from fasttech......i gave up on my protanks forever ago and just been using my drippers
but these coils gave my drippers a run for their money, i was very impressed by the flavor and vapor production
i think you might like them....i believe the vertical coil only comes in 1.8ohm (the 1ohm looks like it is too, but not sure) and at only $4.89 for a 5-pack it's at least worth tring ;) and then of course the airflow control valves...
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011133/1654500-authentic-airflow-control-valve-for-protank-2
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10010901/1930808-authentic-airflow-control-valve-for-aerotank-v2
but of course with fasttech don't hold your breath....plan on waiting about 30 days....

I bought three 5-packs of the 1.8 ohm vertical coil heads from fasttech about a month ago for my various EVOD-style BCC clearos. Although I rebuild all my Kanger-style BCC horizontal coil heads, I haven't had good luck rebuilding with vertical coils. Very tricky to get the draw right with vertical rebuilds in those small BCC heads---for me it's been finicky and hit-or-miss. I reserve the vertical coil heads for use in my larger GS-H5 clearos (about $1.70 each from FastTech0 and their spiffier brothers, the GS-H5S (which are pricier, about $4.30 each from FT, because they come with the pro tank-2 style airflow control valve). When armed with the 1.8 ohm vertical coil heads, both those clearos are well-suited to use on an iStick 20W at 10-11 "Eleaf watts (mean voltage calibration rather than RMS). Their superior wicking allows them to handle the higher voltages/temps of the iStick 20W without burning.

From the pictures on the FT product pages, the 1.0-ohm coils definitely appear to be verticals, like the higher-resistance 1.8s, but the other resistances and dual coil heads in that group are horizontals.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
You are far to kind lady. That was my first attempt at my son's apartment. I bought that to do so trim pieces on his dash and wound up with a good bit left over so I figured iStick wraps would be great. I tried to trim it in with a dull pocket knife. I will redo it and this time use a exacto and think I can get a much better job. If you look closely the edges where I cut it in are poopy :)

Kind? Me? (give it awhile ;))

I think it looks very good and I didn't even notice the poopy cut edges. Best wart forward, mud. That's my motto! Ya done good, dude!

Adina

Verified Member
May 10, 2013
USA

ooh I will definitely have to try those coils out! Thanks :) Do they make the leaking/gurgling of the pt2 go away or atleast get better?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Shadav, do you know what that filler/wrap is made out of? I can't tell from the picture. Is this the same material (ceramic/fiberglass paper) that Aspire uses in their BVC coils?

2018800-5.jpg

Peteg

Nov 1, 2010
Phoenix
"I was replying to the post of someone's 20W iStick burning up on page 1075 :( Forgot to quote. Sorry still trying to get my bearings back"

That's too bad.

Yeah, at least they're cheap enough.

Just don't go to the B&M near my place. The 20W iStick goes for $50!

I noticed how the workers (kids) at some of the B&M stores around me really don't know anything about vaping, yet they have to brag about a $250 mod because it blows out a huge cloud of vapor with 100% VG. I told him I like a TH because I was a smoker. He told me he vapes 0mg juice because he never smoked. I'm done with B&M's in Phoenix..

Sorry to go a little off-topic, end of rant.

Last edited:

leekeylee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Hull, UK
I bought three 5-packs of the 1.8 ohm vertical coil heads from fasttech about a month ago for my various EVOD-style BCC clearos. Although I rebuild all my Kanger-style BCC horizontal coil heads, I haven't had good luck rebuilding with vertical coils. Very tricky to get the draw right with vertical rebuilds in those small BCC heads---for me it's been finicky and hit-or-miss. I reserve the vertical coil heads for use in my larger GS-H5 clearos (about $1.70 each from FastTech0 and their spiffier brothers, the GS-H5S (which are pricier, about $4.30 each from FT, because they come with the pro tank-2 style airflow control valve). When armed with the 1.8 ohm vertical coil heads, both those clearos are well-suited to use on an iStick 20W at 10-11 "Eleaf watts (mean voltage calibration rather than RMS). Their superior wicking allows them to handle the higher voltages/temps of the iStick 20W without burning.

From the pictures on the FT product pages, the 1.0-ohm coils definitely appear to be verticals, like the higher-resistance 1.8s, but the other resistances and dual coil heads in that group are horizontals.

Rebuilding the kanger heads to vertical is not actually that difficult, just a little more time consuming. I use the EMOW Mega tanks and re-build the enclosed dual coils to single vertical wrapped with japanese cotton. A great vape in my opinion.

I posted a tutorial on how to re-build here if anyone is interested.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ed-kanger-dual-coil-single-vertical-coil.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread