Electric shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipGnosis

May 15, 2015
Wisc
I'm preparing to get into DIY e-liquid(ing).
I'm near an American Science and Surplus store that has all kinds of electric motors for cheap, so it'd be easy for me to make an electric shaker for my juice.
I already have a flat box with soft foam in it to hold the bottles and a digital timer.

How much should I shake the juice? A minute or 5? Just after mixing it or every day for a few days? Or every X days?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Automation at its finest, I guess. Um, have fun.

I just use my hands and I'm fairly sure that I could get the husband to build me some sort of shaking device but 1)whhhhyyy and 2) It's kind of helpful for me to shake after hunching over and making my mixes for hours and I can use the exercise. LOL.

I mean, I guess if ingenuity is your thing well, the question is also "Why not?" and as far as amount of time, well I think you are in uncharted waters. Etc. You could shake for hours and have it be like, awesome, I guess, or not so awesome. I'm afraid you may need to test shake.

Also isn't it just as much work installing each mix and shaking it as it also just would be to just shake it by hand.

I do about 30--60 seconds whenever I remember to, which isn't even every day anymore but I also do a fairly long steep.

Whatever you do or don't do report back though! I'm kinda curious and whatnot, now. And good luck.

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I just shake mine once a day or try to. My mixes sit on the table next to my tv watching chair so when I happen to look over and see my mixes and feel like it I shake them up a bit. Like Anna said it’s good exercise, lol. But I usually steep for a couple weeks at least so a shake here and there is plenty for me. With a setup like your talking I’d set it up for maybe a five minute shake once a day should be plenty as long as you give it some steep time. If your in a rush just do a 24 your shake. The let it steep for a few weeks, lol. As you can tell it’s not very scientific and most of us have no real idea it’s more of a trial and error thing. But no real errors just a feeling you may want to steep it longer. Well I’ve rambled long enough good luck and let us know if you make any breakthroughs into the art of the steep.

HipGnosis

May 15, 2015
Wisc
Automation at its finest, I guess. Um, have fun.
I mean, I guess if ingenuity is your thing well, the question is also "Why not?"
Not much ingenuity, but it kinda is my thing. Just gonna put a disk on a motor, mounted off-center so it's a cam. I'll put my box on top of it and connect the motor to the timer.

Also isn't it just as much work installing each mix and shaking it as it also just would be to just shake it by hand.
No installing, so no work. My box has egg-create foam in the bottom and top. Just gonna put the juice in the box.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I use a paint shaker, ironically the same one that is linked above. I shake my mix for a minute or two depending on the bottle size (bigger the bottle the slower it shakes them). I do this once for mixes that steep fast (less than a week) and every other day or so for the ones that take longer for the first week and then once a week or so after that until ready. I also shake all my mixes right before I use them for the first time. I also shake them by hand before every use.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I use a hand mixer. If you are going to build a shaker you may as well just build a magnetic stirrer instead.

CD drive + computer fan + harddrive magnets + rheostat + transformer (I think I used a volume knob from an old car radio and a phone transformer).
I tried mixing 100mg 100% VG to 50mg 100% VG, too thick. I never thought to try my mixing magnets in an eliquid bottle to see if they fit. It might be hard to spin it slow enough for that small of an amount.
I definitely have some flasks they would fit in for larger batches. Now where are my mixing magnets?

Attachments

• Stir Plate.png
    Stir Plate.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

HipGnosis

May 15, 2015
Wisc
I use a paint shaker, ironically the same one that is linked above. I shake my mix for a minute or two depending on the bottle size (bigger the bottle the slower it shakes them). I do this once for mixes that steep fast (less than a week) and every other day or so for the ones that take longer for the first week and then once a week or so after that until ready. I also shake all my mixes right before I use them for the first time. I also shake them by hand before every use.
Thanks. I'll use this for my shaking schedule.
To be clear; my shaking right before use will still be by hand - as I'm already doing for my non-diy juices.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Thanks. I'll use this for my shaking schedule.
To be clear; my shaking right before use will still be by hand - as I'm already doing for my non-diy juices.
Yeah, I have the habit of shaking every time I use too.

I should also mention the shaker I bought was at my local shop and costed less than half of the one in the link above, so if anyone is interested in one I'm sure you could find them for a better price if you look around.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.

How noisy are those shakers?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I shake my mixes, by hand, for 2 minutes, immediately after mixing. They come out of it all opaque and frothy-looking from the millions of microscopic bubbles which become infused into the liquid. I may be wrong, but I view this as evidence of sufficient mixing. Sometimes I'll shake them again, briefly, prior to the first fill from my 120ml "mixer" bottle to the 30ml that I actually fill devices from, but then that's it. Maybe one of these days I'll mix up two batches of the same recipe, and see if there's any difference between one that's shaken often and one that's not.

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I only noticed a difference in mixes that take a long time to steep, it seemed to help them steep faster if I shook it up a few times (I assume it has to do with the bubbles, maybe from the air or maybe from the slow motion of the bubbles rising). I never noticed a taste difference though.

Shaking before use is more of a habit and nothing to do with making it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread