Electronic Cigarettes and the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

ach2308

Dec 21, 2018
i have noticed in most shops where you get the vape gear i see that the number of atomizers that are rebuild-able (especially the tanks) are becoming less and less available... now i think its great that noobs can get their hands on a device that is ready to use, the down side to this IMO is simply this .. if the FDA gets their way and we are going to wind up back in the stone ages as far as atomizers and the supply of pre-built coils will be gone... with these regulated mods , not mech mods my best guess is its probably near impossible to cause a battery to explode in the mod due to a improperly built atomizer , wire and cotton will always be around.. imo even if you enjoy using prebuilt coils i believe it would be wise to learn to build a coil and wick it , now if i am wrong i welcome any critique

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I mostly agree. My suspicion has always been that shops like coil cartridges because they are more profitable. As for not being able to blow up a battery with a badly made coil this is true IF you are using a regulated mod. It CAN be done with a mechanical though it takes some fairly willful stupidity. It is a major reason why unregulated mods are not recommended to new vapers. There’s math and you have to be careful

ach2308

Dec 21, 2018
to this day i make my own juice lol i also only buy tanks that can be rebuilt , i totally agree that a mech mod or unregulated mod can cause bad battery fires , but in your local shops , i dont know about your area but where i am you really have to go out of your way to find a mech or unregulated mod

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
You'd think these manufacturers would make drop in coils which were built to be re-wicked. We all know coils don't last forever. But coils / massed produced coils are hit and miss given the fact that the pre-installed cotton could be either too tight or too loose.

These manufacturers should be looking into ways to innovate an "applicator" to insert the cotton. They could charge for that device. Tailor made cotton inside a little plastic applicator which can be easily used to insert into a drop in coil.

It's not a new idea either is it. :thumbs:

And they'd probably make more money with something like this.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
My rebuildables consist of 2 rta's, an rdta, and one rda. I still have a couple drop ins but never use them anymore. These are sufficient for my needs but im always looking. I may own a dead rabbit rta one day because i like my dead rabbit rda pretty much. But eventually newbies become old hands at vaping and should learn coil building and proper wicking.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
You'd think these manufacturers would make drop in coils which were built to be re-wicked. We all know coils don't last forever. But coils / massed produced coils are hit and miss given the fact that the pre-installed cotton could be either too tight or too loose.

These manufacturers should be looking into ways to innovate an "applicator" to insert the cotton. They could charge for that device. Tailor made cotton inside a little plastic applicator which can be easily used to insert into a drop in coil.

It's not a new idea either is it. :thumbs:

And they'd probably make more money with something like this.
Its an awesome idea

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Vape shops will stock what they can profitably sell. A few years ago vape shops mixed their own juice for their customers, which was a high margin product and built customer loyalty who wanted to stick with the store's juices. Now it's all prepackaged retail juice with not only lower margins but no exclusivity so folks can go wherever it's stocked at a good price.

They used to be able to wrap, mount and wick coils for their customers. Great for those getting into rebuildables but not quite comfortable with their own ability. No more. So if they do sell you an RTA or RDA not only can they not build it for you for a few dollars or more for a specialty complex coil they spun themselves, they can't even show you how to do it yourself. Tough to sell someone new to an RTA when the best you can do is tell them to watch some YT videos to figure it out. (All of this is US experience).

Now new folks buy a pod, some juice, and if they are hopefully successful at quiting smoking can only advance as far as factory coils and the same retail juice if they're loyal to the store. Some of those will use this newfangled internet thing and discover the same stuff they get in the store is half the price online. Tough times now for the vape shop.

The one saving grace might be the FDA crackdown on underage sales. They've already gone the underage sting operations and found legitimate stores didn't bite. They also found the shops didn't stress the kid popular Juul, but more expensive pods, kits, and juices kids might be less able to afford. So now 7 Eleven is feeling the heat on sales and that might drive more adults into B&M stores.

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Detroit

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Just seems to me that not all parties are completely happy with the state of the current market. The industry can please it's self whilst the customer has to like it or lump it. Not a good deal for the customer !. A compromise where a drop in coil, inside which the actual coil itself isn't rebuildable, can allow for the cotton to be removed with tweezers and replaced with tailor made cotton which can be purchased sandwiched inside a plastic applicator ( A little like a Tampax except the cotton is hollow). Although this would only be applicable to vertical coil assemblies.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread