Emphysema from ecigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Just found out I have emphysema when I had to go to the ER for a kidney stone.

8-10 years before I quit smoking (after smoking for 32+ years)...I was diagnosed with having the mild beginning stage of COPD (which can be due to chronic bronchitis or emphysema). In my case it was beginning emphysema.

It wasn't diagnosed by my doctor...simply by listening to my breathing and knowing that I was a longtime smoker. It was through comparisons of my yearly chest X-rays and noticing changes in them that indicated beginning emphysema and the results of a spirometer test that I took. My past medical history was also of help in the diagnosis.

So, IMO, unless you had at least a chest x-ray and a spirometer test done when you went to the ER for your kidney stone...there's no way anyone there could or should have said that you have emphysema.

If you're concerned about it, go to your regular doctor and ask for testing to be done.

Edited to Add: By the way, within only 1.5 years of my quitting smoking and just vaping (chain vaping actually), my new spirometer test results showed my breathing was now like that of someone who had never smoked! My lungs also sounded completely clear...the best they'd sounded in the 18+ years I'd been seeing my same doctor. He actually said he wouldn't be surprised if the warm, moist vapor had actually helped my lungs heal better and faster. My blood oxygen level also had greatly improved, too!

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I've been using ecigs for over 10 years. Just found out I have emphysema when I had to go to the ER for a kidney stone. Has anybody else here been diagnosed with that and has only been using ecigs for as long as I have?
How many years did you smoke? What is the pollution rating for Pittsburg? I'm not saying vaping didn’t play a part in your possible condition, just pointing out there are innumerable other variables. Hope your health issues get resolved.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
My aunt didn't smoke, but she was a stenographer in a law office where there was considerable smoke. She developed emphysema and eventually had to carry portable oxygen with her. She also had pernicious anemia caused from no intrinsic factor in her stomach, which disrupted her vitamin absorption, and that in itself may have been the cause of the emphysema, not the smoke. This was about 45 years ago.

More recently, a gentlemanly third cousin of mine quit smoking in about 1996. When I met him through a genealogy forum in 2000, he had developed emphysema, but he said when he quit he hadn't had any symptoms that he knew of.

No vaping involved in either of these. I'm not trying to say that vaping can't possibly cause any harm, but correlation doesn't always mean causation.

On another note, sorry to hear of your stone and your lung diagnosis. I'm of the opinion that our diets are to blame for a lot of our ills, and that even if we avoid inflammatory foods and eat the right things, we still don't get the amounts of vitamins and minerals we need for optimum health. Vitamin K2, especially, with vitamin D3 and magnesium. It might help your body put your circulating calcium in your bones instead of your kidneys (or coronary arteries, like mine does).

Last edited:

Jack H

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
Kunming, China
8-10 years before I quit smoking (after smoking for 32+ years)...I was diagnosed with having the mild beginning stage of COPD (which can be due to chronic bronchitis or emphysema). In my case it was beginning emphysema.

It wasn't diagnosed by my doctor...simply by listening to my breathing and knowing that I was a longtime smoker. It was through comparisons of my yearly chest X-rays and noticing changes in them that indicated beginning emphysema and the results of a spirometer test that I took. My past medical history was also of help in the diagnosis.

So, IMO, unless you had at least a chest x-ray and a spirometer test done when you went to the ER for your kidney stone...there's no way anyone there could or should have said that you have emphysema.

If you're concerned about it, go to your regular doctor and ask for testing to be done.

Edited to Add: By the way, within only 1.5 years of my quitting smoking and just vaping (chain vaping actually), my new spirometer test results showed my breathing was now like that of someone who had never smoked! My lungs also sounded completely clear...the best they'd sounded in the 18+ years I'd been seeing my same doctor. He actually said he wouldn't be surprised if the warm, moist vapor had actually helped my lungs heal better and faster. My blood oxygen level also had greatly improved, too!

I agree.....
See my post e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/my-health-check-results-are-in.739917/. I have similiar results proven by my Dr that my lung damage has all but disappeared after switching to vaping 5 years ago.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I've been using ecigs for over 10 years. Just found out I have emphysema when I had to go to the ER for a kidney stone. Has anybody else here been diagnosed with that and has only been using ecigs for as long as I have?
Hope that diagnosis turns out to be wrong! I've had the opposite result in my years of vaping - much better lung health and oxygen absorption.

How many years did you smoke before ecigs? I expect some of us former smokers to still end up with the diseases smoking causes.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der

been at it since jun 09, just had a full physical on nov 5th ,,no lung problems

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

CharlesSC

Nov 25, 2018
sorry to hear about your health problems. i fully agree with others and would hope your next step is to see your doctor and not rely on an er visit for that diagnosis.
as a former but long term smoker, my health suffered over the course of many years. happy to say that thanks to vaping, I have been smoke free for 4 years now. My lung capacity, circulation, blood pressure and overall health and has improved tremendously.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
My father was diagnosed with emphysema forty years after he quit smoking. And it's not that it was undetected before: he had been going to a cardiologist regularly for thirty years because of severe atherosclerosis that led to various crisis and correction. The emphysema simply didn't raise its ugly head for a long, long time.

My sister, who is a doctor, says that just about anyone who has smoked for any length of time can develop emphysema, even long after quitting.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Man-o-man I wouldn't wish a kidney stone on an enemy. As if your day wasn't bad enough...
"We're sorry Mr Kool, you're going to live after giving birth to that spikey speck of sand caused you great agony as it ripped and tore on the way out...but we have some bad news"....

I remember hearing of some vape products causing irratation in some peoples lungs, but down right cause emphezema? I've not heard of that one yet. Not ruling it out though.

Like others said, you should definitely seek a pro opinion. If the ER didn't give you an antibiotic post kidney stone you'll likely be see-ing a doctor soon anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread