EPM Mods (And now for something completely different...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
For the past month or so I’ve been using the most interesting mod I’ve yet to encounter. I expect that it might not be for everyone, but for some it could easily become an absolute favorite.

It’s a “EPM VW-18650”, which is dual (Panasonic-CGR) 18650 pack wrapped in an absolutely beautiful brushed stainless steel body, and topped with a delrin cap and an on/off switch (to avoid pocket-firing). To say it’s well built would be the understatement to top all understatements. The thing is an absolute tank. The 18650 model weighs in a whopping 9.5 oz, while the (slightly shorter) dual 18490 model comes in at 7.7. By comparison, a full sized Provari with a battery and extension cap weighs 6.2 oz.. The body is completely rounded and is oval shaped when looking down on it from above. It is extremely comfortable to hold and the button is perfectly positioned. The word "unique" screams from this thing from all directions.

It it’s variable wattage device that goes from 2-16 watts with an 8 amp limit. Pretty impressive when compared to what else is out there. The kit also includes a car charger and a EPM matching carto tank, that will not crack or leak no matter what juice you put in it.

I will include some pictures and a link to the spec sheet for it at the bottom of this post. Therefore the balance of this will be descriptive, and my subjective experiences with it. Those interested in the technical details may engulf themselves in the spec sheet, that is very well put together for inquiring minds.

This mod comes to us courtesy of EPM Vapor Mods, out of Australia. I believe they're only doing small runs at this point, but I won’t be surprised if that changes soon. This is truly something different, from just about every perspective.

For my personal tastes it is the most aesthetically appealing mod I’ve ever held in my hands. The stainless steel body is impeccable and unparalleled, at least for me. A very careful examination will undoubtedly leave almost anyone impressed with the craftsmanship.
As for performance, it uses two Panasonic 2250 CGR/IMR hybrid cells, paired in series using a sealed user replaceable battery pack (available from EPM Mods only). According to Eric, the modder behind the EPM, not only is this a very safe approach, but this method also allows you achieve much better efficiency than using a buck boost in the circuitry with two cells in a parallel configuration. In my opinion the EPM performs with the very best of everything I’ve tried.

For battery life, its been averaging just about twice what I get with a single Panny 2250 in a Provari, which is about what one might expect. It charges the battery through the 510 connector (so it can’t be used as a pass-through) and does so amazingly fast. It charges the dual pack, from dead-to-full in about 110 minutes. US users will require an adapter since it’s configured for use in Australia. I got this one, for just a couple of bucks, on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Watson Adapter Plug 3 Prong Australia/Argentina to 3 Prong USA: Electronics

Now for the really interesting part; the controller. It’s all driven via a single button control with a multi-color ring around it, that varies in colors along a psychedelic spectrum, straight out of Woodstock. The different colors tell you what power you're at, since there's no display screen.

Battery and wattage levels are conveyed by counting blinks in their respective responses, much like a horse banging its hoof to count off numbers. If you think Provari’s single button is nuts, this one would put you in a white coat. It's not for the faint-of-heart, that's for dang sure. That being said, I mastered it in a very short time, and am actually considering getting one of the smaller (18490) ones to travel with. Because yes, it’s that good.

To navigate, one fast push engages the settings mode. You know this because the surrounding ring blinks very fast, colored green. From there you push again, between one and seven times, depending on what function you wish to use. Increasing or decreasing wattage is measured by watching the color of the light change, in accordance with a.chart in the directions, and stopped by pushing the button again when the desired color is reached. It's pretty much impossible to explain, and I really didn't feel like doing a video review, so this is the best description you'll get.

Reading the directions is an obvious and absolute necessity with the EPM, but thankfully they are very well written and easy to comprehend. Again though, for you people who think the Provari menu is overly complicated, please proceed to the nearest "other" mod.

PROS
Attractive design
Build quality on par with the very best
Phenomenal performance
Great battery life
Fast recharging

CONS
No display (vape-by-taste)
Single button can be a bit cumbersome

OVERALL
I’d recommend it to experienced vapers who have a basic understanding of wattage & battery levels, and who are looking for something with extraordinary battery life, that charges quickly and is built like a tank.

Instructions:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Uk-4ztA3ZbUUxtMzU1LXFXdDA/edit

Pictures:
epm.jpg IMG_0996.jpg IMG_0999.jpg IMG_1001.jpg IMG_1168.jpg

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
"The mod delivers between 2-16 watts of power with a 1ohm and 8 amp cut-off point, making it the most versatile variable wattage mod to date."

Eh?

I'm not sure how to respond. I've re-read what you pasted and am not sure what is unclear.

Or is ALL of it unclear to you?

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
Very good factual review, no fan boy stuff there, just the facts, nice job.

I picked up the 18490 version some months back. I was looking for something that was similar or shorter in height than the ProVari mini, that was easy to turn off making it pocket friendly, with similar build quality and better battery life. The 18490 ticked all the boxes for me. I can now head out for the day with a full tank of juice and a fully charged EPM knowing I'll be set. I don't have to carry spare batteries which is a big plus for me.

I know the term 'ProVari like' in relation to quality is bandied about a fair bit, but the EPM is genuinely in the same ball park as the ProVari when it comes to build quality.

The downside to the device is that the 55 minutes it takes to charge to 18490 version from dead flat to fully charged feels like forever. My solution to this problem was that I bought another one, and then I bought a third as a back up to my other 2. It is also very heavy, which I like, but may not be for everyone. It's weight and shape makes it incredibly stable, it just doesn't fall over, you won't need to buy a tatroe base for your EPM.

I've always vaped to taste so the lack of a digital display is a plus for me, but may not suit everyone. The single button on the EPM is very important to the overall experience when using this device, if the button was no good, the whole device would be a fail. Thankfully the button is a pleasure to use, it's comfortable, easy to find and responsive.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Thanks Adam. And thanks for putting me onto the EPM also. If not for you I'd be missing out on one of my great enjoyments each and every day.

I agree with every single point you just made and will very likely grab one of the smaller ones when he does another run.

Marvelous. Simply marvelous.

Last edited:

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
I'm not sure how to respond. I've re-read what you pasted and am not sure what is unclear.

Or is ALL of it unclear to you?

Judging by his avatar I think he just meant since the dna20 can output up to 20 Watts and go below a ohm, you calling it the MOST versatile is very subjective. I'm not sure on the DNA's amp limit, but 8 is impressive. I like seeing new gadgets and hearing what they can do. Thanx for sharing!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Judging by his avatar I think he just meant since the dna20 can output up to 20 Watts and go below a ohm, you calling it the MOST versatile is very subjective. I'm not sure on the DNA's amp limit, but 8 is impressive. I like seeing new gadgets and hearing what they can do. Thanx for sharing!

OK. I've currently two marvelous DNA20 mods (at one time I had four), and love them too. And that is a subjective statement, but much related to vaping is. I tried to keep things as objective as possible, which isn't always easy when you like something a great deal. I hope at least some of that was conveyed.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise

You got it, but the 8 amps is meaningless if those specifications are correct, as 16w @ 1 ohm is 4 amps. Note that's actually some copy from the mod's instruction book.

OK. I've currently two marvelous DNA20 mods (at one time I had four), and love them too. And that is a subjective statement, but much related to vaping is. I tried to keep things as objective as possible, which isn't always easy when you like something a great deal. I hope at least some of that was conveyed.

It's not subjective at all. When it's related to the power supply device the capabilities are quite objective. And as noted it's absolutely objectively not the most versatile mod out there. That is an objectively false claim the manufacturer is making.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
You got it, but the 8 amps is meaningless if those specifications are correct, as 16w @ 1 ohm is 4 amps. Note that's actually some copy from the mod's instruction book.

It's not subjective at all. When it's related to the power supply device the capabilities are quite objective. And as noted it's absolutely objectively not the most versatile mod out there. That is an objectively false claim the manufacturer is making.

I would agree that the wording might be better if stated "ONE OF the most...".

Are you his ex-wife or something along those lines? ;-)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Nah, just someone who notices these things. Sticks out like a sore thumb, actually ...

I actually hadn't really noticed it until you pasted it. But I never pay much attention to anything related to the word "best" with things like this. But I get your drift and definitely would not have worded it that way.

It's a great mod for me, as are my Mamu Max, Hana & Provari. Heck, even my SVD is pretty good for my purposes. When I don't like something, I sell it (see my history in the classies for reference). I've even sold a bunch that I LIKED, but didn't have any significant advantages to hanging onto. I won't be selling the EPM anytime soon. Maybe never (but that's another word that I try to avoid).

Here's to our choices. Long may they wave. :thumbup:

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
I'd agree with you if the manufacturer claimed it was the most powerful vw device available, but they don't, they say it's the most versatile. Is 2-16 watts more versatile than 7-20 watts? I don't know, don't really care, but I don't think the manufacturer is trying to mislead customers.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'd agree with you if the manufacturer claimed it was the most powerful vw device available, but they don't, they say it's the most versatile. Is 2-16 watts more versatile than 7-20 watts? I don't know, don't really care, but I don't think the manufacturer is trying to mislead customers.

I too highly doubt there was any conscious attempt to mislead. The best choice of words? Probably not. But by no means do I believe it was anything subversive.

And I'd hate for this to turn into a technical jargon exchange and lose focus of the point. Just get a Provari (I couldn't resist...).

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise

I knew someone would try to bring that up, and the answer to that lies in several other features the mod lacks, such as ohm metering, pass-through/vape while charging, etc. At best the wattage issue is a wash. So it is still objectively not as versatile.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I knew someone would try to bring that up, and the answer to that lies in several other features the mod lacks, such as ohm metering, pass-through/vape while charging, etc. At best the wattage issue is a wash. So it is still objectively not as versatile.

OK. Now that everyone's had their say regarding the accuracy of the word "versatile", let it rest. In the big picture it's irrelevant. Forest, trees.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Fair enough, don't want to derail the thread.

But it does have an ohm meter :)

Duly noted and confirmed.

Like everything in this vaping world, the device should only be judged on the entire experience, not any one component. Otherwise Evic (downloadable firmware) and Blu (social features) would rule the universe.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Fair enough, don't want to derail the thread.

But it does have an ohm meter :)

Without a screen the device cannot be used as an ohm meter. EDIT: I guess I should say "as a practical matter" ... 7 buttons and counting flashes is impractical but its utility is subjective. Withdrawn.

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Without a screen the device cannot be used as an ohm meter. EDIT: I guess I should say "as a practical matter" ... 7 buttons and counting flashes is impractical but its utility is subjective. Withdrawn.

This isn't health care, Doc. The government's not forcing you to buy it. Again, the beauty of choice remains intact. Here, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread