Erie (NY) County Health commissioner claims e-cigarettes are very attractive to children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
More crap from folks who either know better or should know better, but the title of the article should encourage more smokers in Buffalo to try e-cigarettes.

E-cigarettes gain in popularity as a way to quit smoking
E-cigarettes gain in popularity as a way to quit smoking - Life & Arts - The Buffalo News

BTW Rosswell Park's Richard O'Connor (who also made some absurd claims in the article) asked me to stop sending him information about e-cigarettes more than a year ago (before he began working for the FDA, where he urged them to require companies to spend tens of millions of dollars just so they could truthfully claim a smokeless tobacco product or e-cigarette is less hazardous than cigarettes).

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
BTW Rosswell Park's Richard O'Connor (who also made some absurd claims in the article) asked me to stop sending him information about e-cigarettes more than a year ago (before he began working for the FDA, where he urged them to require companies to spend tens of millions of dollars just so they could truthfully claim a smokeless tobacco product or e-cigarette is less hazardous than cigarettes).
Money talks and the Rest Walks
:p

If honesty were suddenly introduced into American life,
the whole system would collapse!
George Carlin

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
More crap from folks who either know better or should know better, but the title of the article should encourage more smokers in Buffalo to try e-cigarettes.

E-cigarettes gain in popularity as a way to quit smoking
E-cigarettes gain in popularity as a way to quit smoking - Life & Arts - The Buffalo News

Well I have to say that this article is better than most that I've read recently in the news papers. Hopefully it's an upward trend, but I'm sure Big Pharma will be involved every step of the way, kicking & screaming (and paying off people)!

Sent from my Galaxy Tab with Tapatalk2

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I hate the argument that they could get kids to inhale other things (like real cigs).... I wonder how much money has been spent to research this and come up with false info? I'd bet a whole lot more than kids have spent on e-cigs where they are permissible. One thing however that people need to understand is that in some places there are no laws outlawing the sale of e-cigs to kids under 18 which is a real shame. Because of this, vendors on the web are constantly being lumped in to those who will sell to the under-aged, when they aren't doing that at all.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
Personally, I don't mind if someone under 18 vapes. Some teenagers, who starting smoking analogs in elementary school, claim to have quit because of their early introduction to e-cigs. I heard of a 17-year-old in Spokane County, Washington who had this experience (he started smoking analogs at 12). However, I understand how much it pisses off the ANTZ and shines a poor light on CASAA.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
Personally, I don't mind if someone under 18 vapes. Some teenagers, who starting smoking analogs in elementary school, claim to have quit because of their early introduction to e-cigs. I heard of a 17-year-old in Spokane County, Washington who had this experience (he started smoking analogs at 12). However, I understand how much it pisses off the ANTZ and shines a poor light on CASAA.

Me neither. If someone is smoking, no matter what the age, then I think vaping is a reduced harm alternative.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I agree - and the fact is that kids are getting into a lot more insidious and dangerous stuff (and cheaper!) but I don't see big pharma spending a cent on that. Disgusting and immoral.

I hate the argument that they could get kids to inhale other things (like real cigs).... I wonder how much money has been spent to research this and come up with false info? I'd bet a whole lot more than kids have spent on e-cigs where they are permissible. One thing however that people need to understand is that in some places there are no laws outlawing the sale of e-cigs to kids under 18 which is a real shame. Because of this, vendors on the web are constantly being lumped in to those who will sell to the under-aged, when they aren't doing that at all.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
This makes me wonder, if kids are likely to use e-cigs as a gateway to tobacco (which is absurd, but there it is), where's the science that shows this? What are the actual numbers? And why do the ANTZ always assume adults don't like flavors?? :glare:

/rant

I finally found some numbers. To get numbers that mean anything, the right questions need to be asked.

My thanks to Dr. Konstantinos Farsolinas (the Greek cardiologist who recently presented the results of his study of effects of vapor and of smoke on heart function) who took a photo of the poster from the 2012 European SRNT Conference.

Korean-SRNT-Poster-Youth.jpg

In case this doesn't come out clearly enough, the Korean survey of 1872 middle and high school students found that 6.3% of youth had experience using e-cigarettes, and 17% had previous experience with cigarette smoking. What about cross-over? Among those with cigarete smoking experience, 31.8% had e-cigarette experience.

The odds ratio of using e-cigarettes was 33.05 (95% CI) for students with smoking experience. What the odds ratio means is that if you are a young Korean smoker, your odds of trying out an e-cigarette are 33 times higher than if you are not a smoker.

What did the Koreans conclude from all this?

Wait for it....

"Let's ban e-cigarettes."

Can you say "Duh" boys and girls?

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I expect many surveys (of youth use of e-cigarettes) will be conducted and published in the next several years, and that the authors of surveys funded by e-cigarette prohibitonists will grossly exaggerate their survey findings to claim that e-cigarette use is now epidemic among youth, and that the only solution is for the FDA to regulate (er ban) e-cigarettes.

The way they will do this is by only asking youth if they've ever used an e-cigarette and perhaps if they used an e-cigarette in the past 30 days. Then they will label all youth who have ever used an e-cigarette, or those who used in past 30 days, as "current e-cigarette users". The most (and perhaps only) relevent question in e-cigarette surveys is daily use of e-cigarettes, which isn't even relevant unless e-cigarettes are found to increase disease risks.

Here's a recently published survey (by objective researchers) of e-cigarette use by youth in Poland
Electronic Cigarette Use Among Teenagers and Young Adults in Poland

Electronic Cigarette Use Among Teenagers and Young Adults in Poland

Pediatrics published 17 September 2012, 10.1542/peds.2011-3448

Maciej Lukasz Goniewicz and Wioleta Zielinska-Danch
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are battery-powered devices developed with the goal of mimicking the action of smoking, including nicotine delivery, without the toxic effects of tobacco smoke. Little is known about the uptake of e-cigarettes among young people.

METHODS: A survey was conducted with a cluster sample of 20 240 students enrolled at 176 nationally representative Polish high schools and universities between September 2010 and June 2011. We estimated national e-cigarette prevalence among various demographic groups by using population weights. Multiple logistic regression was used to evaluate which demographic factors were independent predictors of 2 outcomes: ever use of e-cigarettes and use in the previous 30 days.

RESULTS: Among high school students, aged 15 to 19 years, 23.5% had ever used e-cigarettes and 8.2% had done so within the previous 30 days. Among those in universities, aged 20 to 24 years, 19.0% had ever used an e-cigarette and 5.9% had done so in the previous 30 days. In multivariate analyses that controlled for covariates, smoking cigarettes, male gender, living in an urban area, and having parents who smoke were associated with ever use of e-cigarettes. Overall, 3.2% of never smoking students reported ever use of e-cigarettes.

CONCLUSIONS: About one-fifth of Polish youth have tried e-cigarettes; most of them had previously smoked cigarettes. It is unclear whether e-cigarettes are just a novelty that young people try only once or whether they have potential to compete in the marketplace with conventional cigarettes.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I expect many surveys (of youth use of e-cigarettes) will be conducted and published in the next several years, and that the authors of surveys funded by e-cigarette prohibitonists will grossly exaggerate their survey findings to claim that e-cigarette use is now epidemic among youth, and that the only solution is for the FDA to regulate (er ban) e-cigarettes.

The way they will do this is by only asking youth if they've ever used an e-cigarette and perhaps if they used an e-cigarette in the past 30 days. Then they will label all youth who have ever used an e-cigarette, or those who used in past 30 days, as "current e-cigarette users". The most (and perhaps only) relevent question in e-cigarette surveys is daily use of e-cigarettes, which isn't even relevant unless e-cigarettes are found to increase disease risks.

Here's a recently published survey (by objective researchers) of e-cigarette use by youth in Poland
Electronic Cigarette Use Among Teenagers and Young Adults in Poland...

I would love to see this done again next year, even in the USA, by an equally objective group. I'd be curious of the numbers a couple of years later, after popularity and awareness has grown.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I wish there had been e-cigs back in 1990 when my best friend and I started stealing a pack of cigs a week out of her grandfather or uncle's carton to smoke on "girl's night".

A. It would probably be a lot harder to "borrow" someone's PV for the weekend. (I know where all mine are at all times).

B. Even if we'd found a store willing to sell to a minor (online vendors don't, and even before the ban on sales to minors in NYS, stores considered it a tobacco product), at least I wouldn't have developed a 22 year habit of inhaling over 4,000 chemicals that are proven to be harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread