Everyone should read - Propylene Glycol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Except the big bad chemical they quote as being present in trace amounts wasn't ethylene glycol, it was diethylene glycol!

My bad...you're absolutely correct. I actually did search for diethylene but it took me too a tox profile for ethylene instead. Just went back to see if I could find one specifically for diethylene but, while many articles mention it, I can't find an actual tox profile for it. I do however stand corrected.

Kattdaddy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
As you all are probably figuring out by now I have been Mr. Research both for my own vaping use and especially before I started a petition in support of it. Constantly seeing people talking aboutvaping ingredients "specifically propylene glycol" and thought you would all like this link. While I have ready MANY MANY studies I'm hoping you will all find the source to be credible enough for you!:p

I especially like this line: Concentrations in foods range from <0.001% in eggs and soups to about 15% in some seasonings and flavorings. Propylene glycol is an FDA-approved additive for military dietary rations (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry 1997).

Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Toxicity: What is Propylene Glycol | ATSDR - Environmental Medicine & Environmental Health Education - CSEM
So, Mr. Research,
What your saying is.... Your wondering how many FDA minions are needed to handle that big old shovel ????? Meanwhile, I am willing to tell them where they can shove it!!!

My $0.02 worth.. Happy vaping.
Tom

Canute

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So, Mr. Research,
What your saying is.... Your wondering how many FDA minions are needed to handle that big old shovel ????? Meanwhile, I am willing to tell them where they can shove it!!!

My $0.02 worth.. Happy vaping.
Tom

Ya know, I'm 100% all for that....I'm just not so sure that approach will make sure that we can still order our e-liquids six months down the road.

helix

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2009
Jonesboro, AR
on a side note.... although we ingest PG everyday through food products and ect... and it is totally safe, the big difference with us is we are not ingesting it, we are inhaling it (into our lungs) so i dunno if those aricles i read are totaly accurate, since some of them mostly deal with EATING PG not inhaling.....

I watched a youtube video done by Shawn from ZigCigs, where he talked about a study that was done in the 1940's....

Short story, they constantly pumped a high concentrate of vaporized PG into the living environment of monkeys/rats/etc., and for the control they kept another set of monkeys/rats/etc. in a completely normal atmosphere (normal air).

After long term exposure, they did an autopsy on both sets of monkeys (experiment and control) and there were NO differences in the organ health of these animals.

Of course, we all know monkeys are our closest genetic match, so this proves relevant to Humans as well.

Also worth mentioning, PG is actually a germicide... It has been proven to kill the flu virus, and other respiratory diseases. (This is mentioned in the video)

Click here to watch the video

Last edited:

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Most peeps who have tried both, prefer the USP Grade Vegetable Glycol anyway. There may be minor side effects for some with the PG (cramps, dehydration) but I have never heard complaints with the thicker VG, used mainly for baking and making icing on the cake. I made a poll on here. check it out.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...50464-poll-how-long-have-you-been-vaping.html
most people have been vaping nearly an entire year! I don't think we have anything to worry about.

cliff5550

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
West Central Illinois - USA
Seems I read somewhere, maybe in the forums, that normal analog cigs contain propylene glycol so we may have already been inhaling it. Noticed the other day my little store-bought apple pie contained propylene glycol, and then today my daughter picked up a roll on headache "medicine" Head On, and one of the main ingredients was propylene glycol.
The more you check ingredients lists, the more you see it is in about everything.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Propylene is also an ingredient in many nasal sprays... If anyone has ever used a nasal spray you have inhaled propylene glycol as well as exposed your mucus membranes to it. Now, most of us don't use nasal sprays on a daily basis, but some people do... My daughter has allergies and it is in her mist... she sniffs it into her nose when needed and can't take a pill.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Most peeps who have tried both, prefer the USP Grade Vegetable Glycol anyway. There may be minor side effects for some with the PG (cramps, dehydration) but I have never heard complaints with the thicker VG, used mainly for baking and making icing on the cake. I made a poll on here. check it out.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...50464-poll-how-long-have-you-been-vaping.html
most people have been vaping nearly an entire year! I don't think we have anything to worry about.
That's the second time you've said that. I might add a very small amount of VG to my juices (<10%), but in general it's PG that drives my wagon.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
soooo must of you use VG?
Most likely not.
My guess would be about 15% at most use VG instead of PG liquid.

And my guess would be that 20% make their own juice.
And of those that make their own juice, they probably use both PG and VG in their mixes.
My further guess would be an average of about 30% VG mixed with 55% PG and then flavor and water.

No way most of us use VG as was previously noted.
No way.

But I've been wrong before, once or twice.
:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread