eVic Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_chang79

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
CA
Reviving this old thread. So what is the consensus on the battery type to be used on an eVic?

I've got a short tube coming my way. Some say either button or flat top 18350s would work. Being a noob on the subject, should I go with protected or not? Is IMR a good choice?

Thanks!

"IMR" is the chemistry of the battery, in short, it's a type of Lithium Ion battery, but the chemistry has Manganese (Mn) in it.

I'm gonna guess your question is on the brand of battery to use. I'm using an IMR type of unprotected battery in my shorty. The brand I'm using is AW. The AW brand has the lowest mAH spec, but after sifting through many discussion on this topic, is because AW is more conservative with their numbers, and they usually get the first cut from the contract manufacturer who actually produces these sales. I believe Efest gets the second cut (first cut being the cream of the crop), and so on...

Don't be fooled by the capacity numbers, there is only so much charge that can be stored inside this little 18350 form factor for batteries.

My suggestion, get the AW 18350 battery. My opinion, and my opinion only, you don't need protected batteries... eVic would not be pulling anywhere near the discharge limitation of these cells.

As for button top and flat top, whatever you can get your hands on. They both work. The spring mechanism on the end cap is forgiving enough that it can operate with both. I'm using the AW 18350 700mAH IMR, unprotected, button top in my shorty and it works just fine.

I think I'm going to get another AW 18350 cell soon, since going from 2600mAH Samsung (default one that came with it) to the 700mAH, the 700mAH lasts only about 1/4 of my day of vaping!

Also, switching between two batteries, you have pseudo-extended the life of the battery by 2 folds (ok, the MTBF is still the same, but from user-experience of before failure)....

:)

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)

roffles18963

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
If you're only going to be using stock coil heads (above 1.8 ohms), yes the default battery will work and not explode on you. If you're using RBAs or RDAs, just get AW IMR or Efest IMR batteries, especially if you're going sub ohm (down to 0.6 ohms on 18650, don't go lower than 0.8 ohms on 18350/18490/18500, granted you can but give some leeway for AMP draw, go use an ohm's law calculator to find your amp draw for your coil heads), and you can also consider getting a Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250 mAh. If you're going super sub ohm, get an MNKE 18650 1500 mAh battery or a Sony US18650VTC3 1600 mAh.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
If you're only going to be using stock coil heads (above 1.8 ohms), yes the default battery will work and not explode on you. If you're using RBAs or RDAs, just get AW IMR or Efest IMR batteries, especially if you're going sub ohm (down to 0.6 ohms on 18650, don't go lower than 0.8 ohms on 18350/18490/18500, granted you can but give some leeway for AMP draw, go use an ohm's law calculator to find your amp draw for your coil heads), and you can also consider getting a Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250 mAh. If you're going super sub ohm, get an MNKE 18650 1500 mAh battery or a Sony US18650VTC3 1600 mAh.

You do realize this post is ridiculous right?
eVic has built in protection and it will NOT do sub ohm by design. You cannot overload it as it sill simply refuse to fire an overly low load.:glare:

Your Data is reasonable for a Mechanical Mod discussion.:)

e30ernest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Philippines
You do realize this post is ridiculous right?
eVic has built in protection and it will NOT do sub ohm by design. You cannot overload it as it sill simply refuse to fire an overly low load.:glare:

Your Data is reasonable for a Mechanical Mod discussion.:)

The post above him was asking if he converted the eVic into a Mech by replacing the head, would the battery hold up. So yeah it was a mech mod discussion. :)

roffles18963

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO, USA
The question I was answering was about switching out the user's evic for a mechanical mod, so my response was well justified. :D My advice WOULD be completely ridiculous if I was answering for the evic doing sub ohm~ XD

Although I did forget to mention picking up a 2 cents for safety/vape safe fuse..........

humpstyles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
"IMR" is the chemistry of the battery, in short, it's a type of Lithium Ion battery, but the chemistry has Manganese (Mn) in it.

I'm gonna guess your question is on the brand of battery to use. I'm using an IMR type of unprotected battery in my shorty. The brand I'm using is AW. The AW brand has the lowest mAH spec, but after sifting through many discussion on this topic, is because AW is more conservative with their numbers, and they usually get the first cut from the contract manufacturer who actually produces these sales. I believe Efest gets the second cut (first cut being the cream of the crop), and so on...

Don't be fooled by the capacity numbers, there is only so much charge that can be stored inside this little 18350 form factor for batteries.

My suggestion, get the AW 18350 battery. My opinion, and my opinion only, you don't need protected batteries... eVic would not be pulling anywhere near the discharge limitation of these cells.

As for button top and flat top, whatever you can get your hands on. They both work. The spring mechanism on the end cap is forgiving enough that it can operate with both. I'm using the AW 18350 700mAH IMR, unprotected, button top in my shorty and it works just fine.

I think I'm going to get another AW 18350 cell soon, since going from 2600mAH Samsung (default one that came with it) to the 700mAH, the 700mAH lasts only about 1/4 of my day of vaping!

Also, switching between two batteries, you have pseudo-extended the life of the battery by 2 folds (ok, the MTBF is still the same, but from user-experience of before failure)....

:)

This was extremely helpful. I guess I don't vape nearly as much as others (~50 puffs a day), because my 2600mAh lasts nearly a weekk before getting down to 20% when I will recharge it completely. I am hoping the 700mAh you described lasts a full day!

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Sorry to revive this old thread, but does anyone have any advice on Efest IMR 18350s? (800mAh) Or, if I'm going to use 18350s, should I just seek out the AWs?

I use Efest IMR 18350 flat tops in my shorty eVic

eVicSiamMods.jpg

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
I use Efest 18350's from Mt Baker (always on sale) in my shorty eVic - they work fine. Funny, I just got a Provari and it is SO much more finicky about batteries than the eVics. These eVics may be less sturdy than the Provari, but they are a lot more flexible (and the display kicks you-know-what!)

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I'm a gadget guy, so I love the evic because of the display. I've tried to use it in short 18350 mode, but I just vape too much.

I use both of the batteries listed above...I will add that I tried a tenergy 18650 it was too thick and wouldn't fit.

In 18350, I've used some cheap blue ones (no namers), flat top worked fine and efest 18350 worked fine and even ultra fire 18350 (1200mAh from fasttech) also worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread