eVic VTC Dual TC setting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
I'm relatively new to TC. I've been using mechs exclusively for about 7 years with 26 ga kanthal at about 0.5 ohm. When I started using the eVic TC, I ordered SS316 in 26, 28, and 30 ga. I also have Ti in 26 and 28 ga. My plan was/is to be able to use the same builds on the eVic w/TC and my mechs. With the lower resistance of the SS, I've found that I'm using the flimsier 28 ga SS316 to get the TC to work well. I'm building an SXK Doggy Style tank for loose MTL. I'm building single spaced 3.0 mm I.d.coils at around 1.2 ohm. When I build w/the 26 ga SS, I'm doing good to get to 0.5 ohm w/3.0 mm contact coils. I'm not sure why, but I'm finding it difficult to get the TC to work consistently. Is the problem the TCR of 316? I've got some 430SS and NiFe 30 and 48 ordered. I'm using 100% VG juice which is working well at 1.2 ohm, but getting burnt taste at times w/26 ga at 0.5. Would loading ArcticFox help or will I find the other wire alloys solve most of my issues? FWIW, I'm using rayon and my liquid is thinned slightly and wicks well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Charles

Reactions: stols001

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
No idea of the mod but all i use is 316 L in TC with the Doggystyle with DNA devices. Try a slightly spaced coil at around say 0.8 ohms.TC seems to work best between 0.5 and 1.0 ohms in my experience. I only MTL and my current Doggy build is 28 ga SS 316 L 2.0 MM ID 7 wraps coming in at 0.58 ohms. I think 3.0 mm id is to big when the airhole on the SXK is only 1.6 mm.

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
make sure that the original ohm reading is taken while the coil is room temp around 70F.
I'm doing that and locking the resistance.

1.2 ohm is too high for TC. Works better below 1 ohm

I can see that and I'm sure you're correct, but the 1-1.25 ohm builds are working better. Since the 0.5 ish ohm isn't working well, maybe it's because its a contact coil. I've also read that 316 is fussy about post connections and it's TCR isn't ideal for TC. The SXK tank just has screw connections and the larger wire may not have the contact quality of the smaller gauge wire.
Charles

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
If it helps i have over 10 Doggies and they are all very stable in TC with SS316 L. Current coil is now reading 0.59 0hms, it started off at 0.58 ohms. That is after over a month of use and six rewicks. I would say SS 316 L 28 GA is perfect for the doggy. That is all i normally use with the very occasional SS 316 L 30 GA.

• Useful

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
I have no problems with SS316l at .5 ohm. If the posts don't hold the wire tight though you will have problems.

It may well be that's the issue. The deck is small, but easy to build, but getting a good grip on larger wire is a little tricky. I've got an Inbox V3 squonk w/the DNA chip coming in their next couple of days so I'll be able to play around in e-scribe w/it. I appreciate the help.
Charles

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
It may well be that's the issue. The deck is small, but easy to build, but getting a good grip on larger wire is a little tricky. I've got an Inbox V3 squonk w/the DNA chip coming in their next couple of days so I'll be able to play around in e-scribe w/it. I appreciate the help.
Charles

Just a question for you. Are you setting the Wattage as well or is it on full blast? Works better in TC when you set the wattage a little above what the coil would use but not a lot higher.

• Agree

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
Just a question for you. Are you setting the Wattage as well or is it on full blast? Works better in TC when you set the wattage a little above what the coil would use but not a lot higher.
Good question. I've got the the wattage set at 22.5 for a quick ramp up. I would probably be in the 15 watt range w/o TC. I think you're correct about iffy connections causing the issues w/the 26 ga coil. The mod has never kicked out of TC w/28 ga (really good connection), but has a couple of times w/26 ga wire. The screw heads are just barely big enough to clamp the larger wire. Just for fun I input a TCR of 0.0088 in TCR mode and the 28 ga build works about the same as it does with the native 316 TC setting. Had to raise temp 20F, but not much difference. I think the suggestion to build at 2.0 mm i.d. is probably a good idea also. I can see why a bit lower resistance might give better results. I presume it's because the amount of resistance increase at temp is a larger percentage of the total load???
Charles

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
No idea of the mod but all i use is 316 L in TC with the Doggystyle with DNA devices. Try a slightly spaced coil at around say 0.8 ohms.TC seems to work best between 0.5 and 1.0 ohms in my experience. I only MTL and my current Doggy build is 28 ga SS 316 L 2.0 MM ID 7 wraps coming in at 0.58 ohms. I think 3.0 mm id is to big when the airhole on the SXK is only 1.6 mm.

I built a 28 ga slightly spaced coil 2.0 mm i.d. 8 wraps. Reading 0.79 ohm on the mod. Works well with excellent flavor. As an awesome bonus, both the 1.25 and the 0.79 ohm builds are working REALLY well on my Super T mech mods. I'm going to use it like this for the time being and maybe try some different alloys and builds once I have the DNA mod. I really appreciate the help.
Charles

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I built a 28 ga slightly spaced coil 2.0 mm i.d. 8 wraps. Reading 0.79 ohm on the mod. Works well with excellent flavor. As an awesome bonus, both the 1.25 and the 0.79 ohm builds are working REALLY well on my Super T mech mods. I'm going to use it like this for the time being and maybe try some different alloys and builds once I have the DNA mod. I really appreciate the help.
Charles
Glad it worked out for you. I have tried lots of builds and wire in the Doggy, the one you are using to me is practically perfect.The only thing i would change is go to 7 wraps, it fits better on the small deck on the Doggy and keeps the entire coil closer to the airflow. Only a slight difference but i am always after perfection.

crammit442

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Alabama
Slightly off topic, but I've ordered a spool of SS430 and a spool of NiFe48 from Zivipf.de. Searching here and on Google, these alloys are well reviewed and seem be conducive to more accurate TC than 316. Both have higher TCR's than 316 and and have resistance values that should allow pretty easy builds. They have the best selection of regular and exotic wire I've seen in one place. Link below. Charles

Zivipf.de

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Slightly off topic, but I've ordered a spool of SS430 and a spool of NiFe48 from Zivipf.de. Searching here and on Google, these alloys are well reviewed and seem be conducive to more accurate TC than 316. Both have higher TCR's than 316 and and have resistance values that should allow pretty easy builds. They have the best selection of regular and exotic wire I've seen in one place. Link below. Charles

Zivipf.de
I have looked at Zivipf before, i guess because i get perfect results with SS 316 L i do not bother with other wires.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts

Zivipf.de

Yep, best wire from the best vendor. I have had trouble with all other vendors when ordering those two materials. Never an issue with Zivipf.
People originally told me that the material wouldn't make a difference, just use SS316L.
They apparently have never tried either one on a mod that does TC well. Those are all I have used for probably two years or more. The SS430 is my go to wire. NiFe52 is a sometime wire because of the much lower resistance it has vs SS430

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread