Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
On the edge of insanity..
So I picked up the EVO Intelligent VV-LCD Transformer Kit because I was a fan of the EVO PV and always liked the simplistic yet sleek look of the device. I also got it because I said that if a true VV came out that I would purchase it right away. This not only goes from 3.0 - 6.0 volts, but it also checks the ohms of whatever you're using and so far it has been spot on. :)

I am having an issue though I think? I can't seem to push a 2.8 ohm carto past 4.8 volts. On my LT I can run the same cart to 5 volts with no problem. The description says it has a 6+ amp switch. Any ideas??

Thank you!

RedFox

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
It's great, and yeah I really like it so far. I have a lavatube and I used to have the iTaste. Battery life has been pretty good as well. The menu system is relatively easy to navigate also.

No ideas, just wondering how the vv part is? Do you like it? Do you have anything else vv to compare it to?

RedFox

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
I know the iTaste V1 did that, but not sure about this one? Then what is the point of a 6 amp switch?

Wasn't there one of those VVs that measured and adjusted itself to the ohms?

I don't know which one it is, but if that's what it is, you may have no control over it.

Maybe LordDavon can shed some light on the subject?

Last edited:

Mooki

ECF Veteran
possibly this ? still tho. if it says 6amp switch.. bit weird

Amperage limiting system protects against over current situations

or

Low Atomizer Resistance Detection Alarm

When the resistance of the atomizer is less than 1.0 ohm, the output voltage is more than 4.5 volts, the device will alert you and button LEDflash 8 times. Locate the problem or replace the atomizer and the device will resume normal operation.

SabbelMR

Feb 21, 2012
Germany
You may want to check out this Video on the new EVO LCD VV:

Evo LCD VV készülék - YouTube

It's in Hungarian - being from Germany, I don't understand that language and I guess most of you guys won't either.

However, for all those interested in the EVO LCD VV, it helps you to get an impression of build quality and the menu - both of which I consider very well done (from the Video).

As far as the question in this thread is concerned:

At approx. 12:30 you see the guy from the video trying to fire up a dual LR carto - I much suppose it is the Smoktech one, so it would be 1.5 Ohms - at 4.6V - and the EVO LCD refuses. Going down to 4.4V, it would fire the Carto, though (check around 12:50).

Assuming 1.5 ohms, 4.5V equals to 3.0A current or 13,25 Watts.

This does not necessarily mean the EVO LCD has a 3.0A current limit - it may very well be possible that it can deliver higher currents at lower voltages, but of course there's got to be some current and some wattage limit.

Now when you say the EVO LCD would refuse to fire your 2.8 Ohm (please confirm) carto past 4.8V, that (i.e. 2.8 Ohms @ 4.8V) would equal approx 1.7A or or 8.16 Watts, what confuses me, as the Hungarian guy, from my understanding, got a max. of 3.0A and a max of 13,25 Watts from the unit in an 1.5 Ohm setup..

However, I don't believe the manufacturer that the EVO LCD employs a 6A switch. 3A seems more realistic to me.

As the EVO LCD can be powered by a single 16340 battery, assuming the EVO LCD could output 6A at the lowest setting (3V), that would be 18 Watts, and with a nominal voltage of 3.7V and a regulation efficiency of 90%, that would drain the battery by 20 Watts / 3.7V = 5,4 Amps, and that's really an awful lot of load for a single 16340 battery..

SabbelMR

Feb 21, 2012
Germany
possibly this ? still tho. if it says 6amp switch.. bit weird

Amperage limiting system protects against over current situations

or

Low Atomizer Resistance Detection Alarm

When the resistance of the atomizer is less than 1.0 ohm, the output voltage is more than 4.5 volts, the device will alert you and button LEDflash 8 times. Locate the problem or replace the atomizer and the device will resume normal operation.
Well that particular part of the manufacturer's spec would indicate a 4.5A limit.

Since the Hungarian guy from the Youtube video drained 3.0A from the unit with his 1.5 Ohms (assumed) XL dual coil carto
at 4.5V (the highest possible voltage for his setup), there might be a 4.5A current limit in addition to a 13-14 Watts power limit (see above).

However, that still won't explain why RedFox can't fire his 2.8 Ohm carto past 4.8V with his EVO LCD unit (as this would be both below 4.5A and below the 13-14 Watts) - strange..

SabbelMR

Feb 21, 2012
Germany
Addition:

The Hungarian Shop that has the EVO LCD in stock says the limit is 2.5A:

LCD EVO VV (MAXIMUM SZETT) *AJÁNDÉK VIVI NOVA KÉSZLETTEL*

"2.5A biztonsági áramkorlát
DC-DC (Buck-Boost) Converter"

( use google translate on it, so did I.. )

Assuming the dual coil carto from the guy in the video (see above) was 1.8 Ohm not 1.5 Ohm, it would make sense that he could not go higher than 4.5V in that setup:

4.5V / 1.5 Ohm = 2.5A..

Last edited:

RedFox

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
No, RedFox was not talking about a 1.8ohm carto :) I have attached currently a 2.9 ohm SR Boge carto. I have confirmed this with both my multimeter and the EVO VV LCD. Once I go above 4.8 volts there is no change in the current to the carto. If I crank it to anything above 4.8 volts it remains the same. I have also tried my 2.8 ohm vivi nova and the highest it will go is 4.7 - 4.8 volts. I also tried putting a 1.8 ohm head on my vivi nova and the highest it would allow me to take it is 4.0 volts.

Oh and all this is on a fresh battery. I'm thinking that there is no way it has a 6 amp switch.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Last edited:

SabbelMR

Feb 21, 2012
Germany
RedFox,

thanks for the additional information.

As I pointed out before, on the site of the European vendor carrying the EVO LCD, it says the limit is 2.5A actually (and not 6.0A as Loongtotem advertises it).

From your measurements:

2.9 Ohm @ 4.8 Volts = 7,94 Watts
2.8 Ohm @ 4.7 Volts = 7,89 Watts
1.8 Ohm @ 4.0 Volts = 8,89 Watts

..it looks to me as if the EVO LCD additionally had an 8 Watts overall limit (assuming the 1.8 Ohm Vivi Nova head was probably like 1.9 - 2.0 Ohm actually, as they have some tolerance..).

RedFox

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
No problem and thank you for the additional help. Kind of what I was thinking as well about it being a 2.5 vs 6.0+ amp switch.

Oh and surprisingly enough, all the vivi nova heads I have have been dead on. The boges however have been all over the place from 2.4 to 3.2.

Quick thanks to everyone for your input on this :)

RedFox,

thanks for the additional information.

As I pointed out before, on the site of the European vendor carrying the EVO LCD, it says the limit is 2.5A actually (and not 6.0A as Loongtotem advertises it).

From your measurements:

2.9 Ohm @ 4.8 Volts = 7,94 Watts
2.8 Ohm @ 4.7 Volts = 7,89 Watts
1.8 Ohm @ 4.0 Volts = 8,89 Watts

..it looks to me as if the EVO LCD additionally had an 8 Watts overall limit (assuming the 1.8 Ohm Vivi Nova head was probably like 1.9 - 2.0 Ohm actually, as they have some tolerance..).

No problem and thank you for the additional help. Kind of what I was thinking as well about it being a 2.5 vs 6.0+ amp switch.

Oh and surprisingly enough, all the vivi nova heads I have have been dead on. The boges however have been all over the place from 2.4 to 3.2.

Quick thanks to everyone for your input on this :)

yup i bought 15 boge XL stainless 3.0ohm

and the ohms are all over the place. anywhere from 2.4 to 2.9 never had a 3.0ohm yet lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread