Evod Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I know from this forum that this is an issue so it did not surprise me when it happened. I vaped one of my OE Evods down to about a quarter tank and it started leaking badly. To the point that it was unusable. I cleaned everything up and refilled it and it works great.

Yesterday I received a 7 pack of knockoff Evods from FT. I have only used one but at about a half tank it did the same thing. I filled it back up and all was good.

Does anyone know why this occurs? I'm really curious about this. Since I haven't seen a "fix" here I suppose it's something you just have to live with.

rasmith1959

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Guthrie, OK
I know from this forum that this is an issue so it did not surprise me when it happened. I vaped one of my OE Evods down to about a quarter tank and it started leaking badly. To the point that it was unusable. I cleaned everything up and refilled it and it works great.

Yesterday I received a 7 pack of knockoff Evods from FT. I have only used one but at about a half tank it did the same thing. I filled it back up and all was good.

Does anyone know why this occurs? I'm really curious about this. Since I haven't seen a "fix" here I suppose it's something you just have to live with.

Here's a video that helps explain why this happens. This is for a Kanger T3, but it's built basically the same as an EVOD:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=diasQUcxQkI&desktop_uri=/watch?v=diasQUcxQkI

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 4

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Here's a video that helps explain why this happens. This is for a Kanger T3, but it's built basically the same as an EVOD:

How To: Fix your leaking Kanger T3! - YouTube

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 4

I watched that jackwagon run his yap for 43 profanity-laced minutes for about two minutes of useful information.

However, it's only useful for the original T3 and MT3. Those were plagued with leaking problems due to the design flaw he identifies when showing the base with the wicks pulled out. The Evod and the MT3S addressed those problems with a better design.

Adding to the flavor wicks in an Evod can address leaking issues. Increasing the power to the coil can also help. If you're using a fixed voltage battery, getting 1.8 or 2.0 Ohm coils can help, too.

I'm not sure why many BCC's start leaking when the liquid gets very low. It may be that the fluid transfer performance of the wick is greater when there's more air and less liquid, which puts more liquid in the coil head than the coil can vaporize quickly enough to prevent leaking.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I am using a fixed voltage battery but I have a twist ordered that will be here tomorrow or Monday. I just rebuilt the atomizer on the clone that I am using and no gurgle now. Used 3mm and 32 gauge and 5 wraps. Ended up with 2.2 ohms. The first atomizer I rebuilt I put 4 turns on and it came out 1.7 ohms. Really seemed to vape better with the 3.7 battery.

Before I knew better I ordered 10 replacement atomizers at 2.5 ohms plus I now have 12 new Evods that are 2.5 ohms. I need to crank up the voltage to get a better vape.

I just filled the tank on the clone I rebuilt. Anxious to see what happens when the level gets low.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
In a word, pressure. That's not the only reason. As mentioned, when the atomizer cannot or does not atomize the juice fast enough, you get flooding and leaking. The factors are juice, carbonized wick (heat), caramelized wick (sweet juices), Juice that is too thin, removal of flavor wicks, vape frequency, coil temperature, wick material, etc. I used the evods for months (carto tanks now), and learned that the first time I heard a gurgle, to remove the base, clean and clear, and refill. Almost like a reflex. Unfortunately, with the juice I use, I also had to replace heads every two or three days, and clean after about three tanks. Rebuilding with cotton solved many problems. Love the vape, but when I figured out how a good carto tank works, and NEVER leaks, I never went back...plus the vapor was better. Many videos on cleaning and clearing out there. I kept lots of pipe cleaners and Qtips handy, when I used evods and Protanks and Davides, which I occasionally use. Good Luck!

Edit:

Kayfun 11.jpg

This is a picture of a different topper, but the device is top down into a thick sponge that I cut a slice into, and allows the easy clearing and filling of all bottom coil devices. Not my idea (one of those videos out there), and it works great, making quick fixes quite easy. Many will tell you that their evods never leak. Not my experience, but lucky them! Best to you!

Last edited:

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I have 4 Evods all with different juices in them and a VV battery. I found that the 2.2 ohm coil works best at 4.2 volts. I believe that comes to about 8 watts. None of my Evods have leaked, but I never let them go down to a 1/4 tank. Might be my OCD as my car and motorcycle are always full as well.

I have had these Evods for 4 weeks now and none have leaked. I know the coils now used in the Evod are the same as in the Pro Tank which has a longer stem. I have no clue if the longer stem has anything to do with leaks.

Two days ago I ordered a 5 pack from Great Deal on Electronic Cigarette Kits, Parts and e Liquids - Wholesale. and plan to keep one and give the other 4 to my son.

Last edited:

jpwr25

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2011
Southern Illinois
I had this same problem on stock EVOD heads, but have recently been rewicking all of them with cotton (from a boiled organic cotton ball). This has solved the problem for the most part, and I can only speculate as to why. Obviously YMMV, but it works for me. When the low liquid gurgles return, I know it's time to rewick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread