Evoke Induction Vaporizer on Indiegogo, have you seen this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Anyone seen this?

I have contributed one of the 79.00 models, very interesting. Only 60 left at this price.

indienew_01-banner.jpg

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/evoke-the-first-smart-vaporizer-powered-by-induction

Dan

Last edited:

Duckonquack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Canada
It looks cool but this part kind of has me worried

Flexible Funding
Q. What happens if the Evoke's Indiegogo campaign doesn't reach its goal? *Newly Added*
A. If our Evoke campaign is not successful we will refund everyone back their money. We are working hard to make sure it will be successful but one of the biggest contributions you can make is spreading the word. If you tell your friends and spread this campaign on Facebook, social sites, and forums, you will be instrumental in helping us reach our goal!

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
So if they don't meet their goal do you still get the device? And does it come with a tank or an atomizer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, if they do not meet their goal, indiegogo does not cut them a check for funds collected, it is returned the donators.
Dan

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Intriguing. Let us know how it works once/if you get it.

I wonder if you can set the temperature since it's supposed to work for dry content too. Doesn't dry content require a higher temperature?

They have stated they will be making 3 different models first, then possible a combo model after initial orders are filled. Did you see the final price, 250.00 once production starts. 79.00 is a steal if it is produced for the first 100.
Dan

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Took way too long to get to the point:

Q. Why is induction better?

A. It has 4 major advantages: no hotspots (like the coil), all electrical components remote from the wick/liquid, the coil never needs replacing, and it will have very controllable and accurate vaping heat cycle.

All the other baloney we could do without; all you really need is a system where do don't have to keep changing out the coil or some other indispensible part like that.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Took way too long to get to the point:

All the other baloney we could do without; all you really need is a system where do don't have to keep changing out the coil or some other indispensible part like that.

Agreed, the only benefit I can really see is no need for silica, cotton, hemp etc.. A SS wick would be heated in the induction coil, of course it will have to be cleaned periodically IMHO. But temperatures could be controlled very precisely.
Dan

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Agreed, the only benefit I can really see is no need for silica, cotton, hemp etc.. A SS wick would be heated in the induction coil, of course it will have to be cleaned periodically IMHO. But temperatures could be controlled very precisely.
Dan

The SS wick question is a real good point; if you heat the metal by induction then there would be no need to oxides it!!
Therefor perhaps some non corroding metal such as aluminium can be used.

Nuclear Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Memphis, TN
No, if they do not meet their goal, indiegogo does not cut them a check for funds collected, it is returned the donators.
Dan

Are you sure about this? I read on that page they were in "flexfunding" status and they would receive the funds even if the goal wasn't meet. Now I've never gotten involved with anything like this but it does sound risky to me.

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
Are you sure about this? I read on that page they were in "flexfunding" status and they would receive the funds even if the goal wasn't meet. Now I've never gotten involved with anything like this but it does sound risky to me.

That's the way I read it. I submitted a comment asking about this but haven't checked back to see if they responded yet.

Regardless, I went ahead and risked $79 for an early-bird unit. Like many things on the bleeding edge it's a gamble. But if they pull it off, it should be pretty interesting and something of a conversation piece to boot.

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Their initial goal of 70K was reached, so the project has the greenlight. At this point in time, if you contribute you will get the mod you pre ordered 6-7 months after the campaign ends (around the 27th I think).

I went ahead and went with a 99$ pre order e-liquid pack. Its a interesting design and concept, I'm willing to invest in it. Honestly, I think its gonna flop, but its interesting none the less and I'll be excited to have a very unique mod. Besides, its SS mesh wicking, so it already wins in my book :D

EDIT: That being said, I dont think one of the project leaders knows their stuff bout e-juice vaping. On the tech crunch site ( Evoke Is A New Induction-Based Vaporizer That Looks And Feels Like An Old-School Pipe | TechCrunch ), they claim that formaldehyde is created by firing za coil and wick system and not in their induction system. I thought we found it was formed by super heating juice... Also, they claim that you get a bad taste from "Burning Fiberglass", but doesnt fiberglass burn around 1800*C or something ridiculous like that? Its more or less the juice burnign aand gunking and tasting bad and imo thats still a potential issue with even a induction system...

But in any case, its still a very interesting design and concept.

Also, it doesnth ave a 510 connection, so you cant use any of your tanks with it. it has a build in tank and wick assembly in which the wick sits inside a induction coil. Electromagnetism causes the wick to heat up, and when hot enough, it vaporizes the juice. Its a sound and interesting concept, lets see how it works

IF only I could get them to custom engrave mine XD

Last edited:

kgs-wy

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Gillette, WY
This is, indeed, very interesting, potentially quite innovative... But, when I watched the main presentation video on the Loto Labs website, I felt moved to go to their YouTube page to comment about it. In my opinion, the comments their "rock star physicist" made about how atomization in a wick and coil setup are, at best, questionable -- which is my personal view on the comments -- and at worst, downright insulting, and I'm fairly sure there's been more than a couple people that got angry about the comments...

I do hope they tone down the sensationalist rhetoric, as the vaping community is in grave danger not only in the US, but worldwide, of being shut down, and such claims can do nothing but hurt the community as a whole. I won't post it here, unless anyone else wants a small wall 'o' text, but if anyone asks, I'll be more than happy to oblige them. :)

-Laters...
kgs-wy

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
Saw the video on youtube. Seems like lots of vapor........vaporware.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something in the video, but he says that conventionally, we heat the wire until it's red hot in order to vaporise the liquid. Alarm bells go off for me here.

Two, according to him, the wick would be the medium getting heated. Why then is there a need for the coil in the computer generated portion of the video.

Three, and this is what really really bugs me. Did you see the way he vaped?

I'm no scientist or engineer, so, maybe I'm not understanding how the product works. Who knows, I may be using it on a couple of years time...... If it ever gets to market.

Edit: I guess the coil needs to be there to enable induction?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
The science behind this concept is sound.
Induction heating could very well be the future of these devices.

That said, from their ad they seem to have the right idea, but not alot of experience in starting a business.
Which makes me wanna stand back and wait.

The ridiculous claims and bizzaro world
Pricing turns me off.
"Buy one now before we even have the kinks worked out, or wait for a good product and pay 3 times the price!"

I'll wait and see how it works out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread