Explain mods to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnWillyson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
So I understand the bottom feeder mods... so you dont have to constantly fill or drip.

I also understand some people like variable voltage to play with...

If I dont like either of those, whats the benefit of a mod? For example, a silver bullet. Are they just for a bigger battery for less charging? Or do they have some tangible benefits?

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...heavier duty, less prone to any breakdowns, significantly cheaper batts...prettier...and in the case of mods such as the E-Power/RoughStack/etc, modular which, allows you to replace switches and such for cheap(er) maintenance and some are totally mechanical, thus, eliminating electrical problems from printed circuit boards...a 3.7v batt whether, it is in a mod or a proprietary is just a 3.7v batt...but never discount the "niceness" of longer lived and longer lasting batts...
madjack:2cool:
p.s. they also handle the hi amp draw from using low resistance accessories better than their proprietary brethren........mj

nqabassist26

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
SoCal
A regular "mod" with no fancy bottom feeding or VV circuitry still have benefits over proprietary PVs like the eGo/kGo/Riva/etc as most have covered already up here.

-Some mods have juice wells that catch any juice leaking from an atty (my Joye 510s do A LOT), so that is a benefit.
-The batteries are cheaper and you can keep spares with you at all times if you would like.
-The build quality is *typically* better than the mass produced fat batts.
-They come in many shapes, sizes, colors and you can find one with any type of connection you'd like.
-They support LR atties/cartos better because most of them can withstand a higher amp draw better.
-There are all mechanical ones that have no chance of an electrical failure.
-Some support different battery arrangements that can give you 3.7v/5v/6v/7.2v ETC, and that's a benefit if you would like to try different voltages without having a "VV" mod.

They're just better all around, for the most part. That being said, however, I still use my kGo plenty because it's so purdy with a pink Ming drip tip from Cherry Vape :p

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Def one of the big benefits is that they use non-proprietary batteries. Also many of the tube mods are made well and will last/be able to take a beating. I also like that they are generally alot more versatile. There really are all kinds of mods though and they can come in all different shapes and sizes, variable voltage mods, all mechanical mods, feeder mods, etc etc. there are quite a few high end mods, but there are also some very affordable tube mods too. I use an Epower which is considered a lower end tube mod, but is still a decent PV. It's similar to a riva and kGo because they are all 3.7V PVs and have 510 connections, but the Epower uses non-proprietary batteries instead and that was one of the things I liked the most. Epower batteries cost only $4 compared to riva and kGo batteries which are proprietary and cost around $14-20, and the non-proprietary batteries last a lot longer before they need to be replaced. That's just one example though. There are many other benefits of using a mod type PV. I just used that example bc it shows that you dont have to be looking for a feeder system or VV etc to benefit from using a mod type PV

studio52

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2011
Meridian MS
An Ego is a mod...and they are wonderful. But there are pretty nice Mods available..yes the Silver Bullet is an industry standard, It operates on an 18650 battery, or 2 smaller batteries for vaping at 6 Volts, but in general its a tube mod used with an 18650 at 3.7 Volts. Battery life varies according to your vaping habits, you can get anywhere from 1.5 to 3 days from one charge. As a Mod junkie, I have over 50 mods, 5 silver bullets, I like the different colors, but each mod has its own special feature, yes the features are tangible..like the Darwin, and Provari....but for a first mod...you cant beat a Silver Bullet.

sumoman25

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2011
South Dakota
Now that everyone else has explained everything to you, I'll give you a few recommendations on a first mod.

Any box mod, good cheap choice.
Roughstack v2, mini or maxi, both are great. Top button is strange, though.
CCV has the bolt, very nice pricing and comes with a battery.
E-power, tube mod ego styled

Tube mods are better, imo. Although I'm currently looking into wetboxes. Tube mods are my go to though.

kodakkuki12

Moved On
Dec 22, 2011
bser
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: hidden spam

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
You got some good explanations as to the advantages to mod type PV models, especially the part about better batteries that cost much less and also last much longer lifetime wise and overall build quality.

Two of the bigger advantages with at least some of the better built models is warmer vapor and consistency, which, thus, better simulates the real thing. A good 5 volt model will give you warmer vapor. Many consider 4.5 - 5.0 volts the ideal vaping power level. Models that have regulated, boost circuit technology provide the ultimate in consistency. A freshly charged battery will always provide the best vaping performance. But as the battery drains, the performance begins to suffer. Ususally within the first half hour. Models that have boost circuit technology, maintain the fresh battery vaping experience throughout the battery charge from first use until the battery dies. I don't know anyone who would not prefer consistency and many of us want warmer vapor.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Think about versitility.
    Try putting a 5v booster on your eGo
    BOOSTERTANK.jpg

or a kick (if they ever get them made) in it
    61193d1320629183-nhaler-announces-kick-evolv-kicked.jpg

Last edited:

hairball

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    Any opinions on a Provape-1? Lifetime warranty, slew of safety features... Is it regulated?

I had one and from what I can remember, it's regulated at 3.7V and it's not all mechanical. I would rather have an all mechanical mod with an AW battery in it. The AW (red jackets) hold their voltage for a longer period of time before dropping off and it's a drop off that you'll notice immediately.

Don't get me wrong, the Provape-1 is a nice mod, but there's always the worry about electronic boards going kerput. The warranty is great but still, you're out the PV until it gets repaired.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ont.
    I own both a Megalodon and a Provari. The all mechanical Don I can drop, knock over and know it's not going to get damaged. The SB is much the same.The Provari on the other hand, which I also own, is pretty and versatile but I know the electronics on it could be damaged if I were to drop it. There are just so many Mods out there but I believe this post by wv2win sums it up best:
    "Models that have regulated, boost circuit technology provide the ultimate in consistency. A freshly charged battery will always provide the best vaping performance. But as the battery drains, the performance begins to suffer. Ususally within the first half hour. Models that have boost circuit technology, maintain the fresh battery vaping experience throughout the battery charge from first use until the battery dies. I don't know anyone who would not prefer consistency and many of us want warmer vapor."
    I say this because most Mods will give a superior vape but not all will give a consistent superior vape because of batt limitations. Some Mods can overcome or compensate for these limitations. Most battery performance at 50% drain drops off a cliff. I have seen the charts illustrating this shortfall.
    Good Luck, Vapoor.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    If you want to check out variable vaping on the cheap, try a Madvapes vv box mod. 0-7.4v on two 14500 batts. It's $35 and you will need two 14500 batts and a charger. Still, at $50 for the whole thing, you get the experience for 1/3 the price of a Provari and backup in case the expensive mod has to go back for service.

alanselo

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    If you want to check out variable vaping on the cheap, try a Madvapes vv box mod. 0-7.4v on two 14500 batts. It's $35 and you will need two 14500 batts and a charger. Still, at $50 for the whole thing, you get the experience for 1/3 the price of a Provari and backup in case the expensive mod has to go back for service.

I'm with Dave on this one. Additionally I would add a dual coil tank also from madvapes and still pretty cheap. I personally like to have a switch/dial in lieu of changing out batteries and having to have different batteries etc. Just move the dial and you are there, a couple of extra batteries and you are set.

Personally I like function over form. To each his own, whatever works for you. Good luck with the wealth of opinions and information. As long as you get off cigs you are a winner.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member

Me three. Thanks to that MadVapes VV box mod, I discovered that my "sweet spot" was really about 3.8 volts through a 3.0 ohm Boge. So a fancy VV mod just isn't for me -- back to less expensive alternatives. Beats spending hundreds on a "Mercedes" mod to discover this.

So I understand the bottom feeder mods... so you dont have to constantly fill or drip.

I also understand some people like variable voltage to play with...

If I dont like either of those, whats the benefit of a mod? For example, a silver bullet. Are they just for a bigger battery for less charging? Or do they have some tangible benefits?

My wife has a Silver Bullet, among other mods, after having started on "Lucky Slicks" and Egos about 8 months ago. Yes, the bigger battery is a "draw" (no pun intended), but the durability is another major factor. The Silver Bullet was her first mod, purchased 1 month after getting into vaping. It is solid, reliable, all-mechanical. The big battery (18650) means you can vape at 3.7 volts for 2-3 days between charges, but you can also stack two CR123A batteries to bring it up to 6 volts, for high-voltage vaping. Several other mods can do this trick, but some of them are hard to acquire, because they're constantly out of stock. She got her Silver Bullet from Altsmoke, and their customer service is excellent.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread