Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
Please be careful with charging your battery...my substitute old ego-t battery was on my bed charging whilst I fell asleep... it exploded! First and second degree burns. I quit vaping and smoking immediately as I'm horrified. What should I do? Contact Ego-t? I guess they have covered themselves pretty good.. I live in Europe..

Attachments

• 20190428_091950.jpg
    20190428_091950.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 113

Vapedog

Oct 28, 2018
Please be careful with charging your battery...my substitute old ego-t battery was on my bed charging whilst I fell asleep... it exploded! First and second degree burns. I quit vaping and smoking immediately as I'm horrified. What should I do? Contact Ego-t? I guess they have covered themselves pretty good.. I live in Europe..
Welcome. Looks painful for sure. What happened, pass through vaping and fell asleep unexpectedly? Im sure all charging is recommended to do so on a hard, flat surface so doing so like happened, though not nice at all, and the vape if it had juice layed down on the bed leaves you without a hope. That's my guess. Sorry to hear that happened to you though.

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
Welcome. Looks painful for sure. What happened, pass through vaping and fell asleep unexpectedly? Im sure all charging is recommended to do so on a hard, flat surface so doing so like happened, though not nice at all, and the vape if it had juice layed down on the bed leaves you without a hope. That's my guess. Sorry to hear that happened to you though.
I guess I never took the precautions rules too serious... it was laying on my bed for some reason (short wire on the charger, old fashioned system, phone was charging also) I was lucky it exloded on my backside and not on front, or face.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
I guess I never took the precautions rules too serious... it was laying on my bed for some reason (short wire on the charger, old fashioned system, phone was charging also) I was lucky it exloded on my backside and not on front, or face.

You should also stop unattended charging of your phone as well.

It could go next.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    It was an old fashioned style charger... not USB. My Smok Brit One broke down and I used my old pen e cigarette... ordered a new one which I sent back as I am terrified of these bombs now...

You should be using a charger to suit your vape. ie: charger output 5V/1A or 5V/2A.
    It will say on your charger:)

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2012
    Canada
    I know! I am scared of all things with batteries now! Never knew these things could actually happen.. and certainly not to me... maybe in a bad movie or something...

No need to be afraid charge all batteries as instructed by the manufacturer. Follow all of their warnings, including regular inspection and discard worn,damaged or suspected damaged units. And you will be fine.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I don't blame you for feeling afraid of batteries after that horrible experience. What happened to you is rare, but is also the reason battery safety warnings do need to be taken seriously. It's virtually impossible in today's world to avoid all Li rechargeable containing products, so following the practices of charging only while you're awake and at home, and charging only on a nonflammable surface does matter. It looks awfully painful but I'm thankful it was not worse.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Firstly I'm sorry you got injured, but the consequences could have been far worse.
    ALL batteries regardless of what they are used for should be treated with respect, and should be charged with safety in mind. Never charge any battery unattended, especially at night when you are sleeping.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Yeah... doesn't matter anymore. No more smoking or vaping for me...
    Hi and welcome,

Or phone use or laptop use or smart watch use or E-bike use, ALSO.... Right?

Sorry to hear of your accident.
    Best of luck in the future.

Cheers
    I

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Welcome to the friendly bunch :) I wish it was in better circumstances though and i'm sorry that you got hurt. As others have said what happened is very rare but not impossible...that's why we all follow the rules with regard to batteries and safety.

I guess if it keeps you from smoking the death sticks then that at least is a positive outcome. Far more people die or are injured each year from fires caused by cigarettes than they are from batteries :)

Easyjet now says in there safety blurb that if you become aware of any electronic device overheating then contact the cabin crew immediately.....it's a risk we accept to have our modern pleasures.

I hope you get back to rights soon.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Sorry to hear about your experience with the eGo battery. Hope you heal quickly without scars.

Lithium batteries come with a need for safety procedures in the high power designs, but they are necessary for today's electronics. I suppose that your charger and eGo-T battery is to blame rather than lithium cells in general. Buy a 2 bay or 4 bay charger and a mod that uses 18650 cells. Always charge on a non-flammable surface where you can monitor progress. Never charge cells when you aren't awake and aware of their charging state.

Your eGo-T has a history of battery failures (lots of sad stories in the link below). You are right to quit using it, but there are much better designs that don't have high failure histories. Don't let your experience with the eGo-T make you go back to smoking.

You might want to switch to a higher tech mod with good reviews in the name of safety. Use batteries from Sony, Samsung, and LG for the greatest safety with 18650 cells. Buy a brand name charger.

The Best Battery Chargers for Vaping 2019 [May]

ego-t battery explodes - Bing

Last edited:

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
    I don't blame you for feeling afraid of batteries after that horrible experience. What happened to you is rare, but is also the reason battery safety warnings do need to be taken seriously. It's virtually impossible in today's world to avoid all Li rechargeable containing products, so following the practices of charging only while you're awake and at home, and charging only on a nonflammable surface does matter. It looks awfully painful but I'm thankful it was not worse.
    It was really horrible.. So scary, waking up screaming whilst being burned by something. Didn't even immediately realize it was that battery.. again, I was lucky that this was the only damage that was done.. and a duvet with burn holes in it...

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Hi Tina. Welcome to the ECF.

And Thank You for posting this. Because Many members here tell people Constantly to NEVER Charge e-Cigarettes/Battery while they are asleep. And or on something Flammable like a Desk full of Papers or Bedding.

Hope you are Doing Better. And wish you a Speedy Recovery.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread