Status
Not open for further replies.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I'm sure your experience is a valuable lesson to everyone in regards following warnings and using common sense. Especially when dealing with electricity.
Hopefully your physical scars will fade.
Lithium Ion batteries have become so much a part of our daily lives that it is easy to just assume they are safe and to mistreat them. Sometimes with disastrous results.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Hi and welcome. Sorry you were unjured, glad it wasn’t worse.

When I first started vaping with an ego, they wereginefor a few months. Then one day I saw a small arc as I put one on the charger. Fortunately it happened right then while I was there, because before I could say what’s that smell? It started smoking. I pulled the charger from the wall and immediately took both charger and ego out of my house. I went and got an eleaf istick and always kept an eye on it while charging.

I don’t let anything charge over night or while I’m out, and I turn off any mods not in use. Haven’t had a problem since.

But that’s one of the benefits of this forum, sharing information and safety advice.

There are people out there who don’t realize the risk. And your story might keep it from happening to someone else.

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
That's the main reason I posted on here. To make people aware of the dangers of these batteries when not handled correctly. I saw some video's of exploding e cigarettes (also when not in charger) and thought that those incidents were rare. Now I realize it's not that rare as it happened to me!

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
That's the main reason I posted on here. To make people aware of the dangers of these batteries when not handled correctly. I saw some video's of exploding e cigarettes (also when not in charger) and thought that those incidents were rare. Now I realize it's not that rare as it happened to me!

Well I for one hope that if you feel like smoking again....you won't be frightened of picking up a vape device instead....come straight here for advice on a safe setup if you like :)

I hope that burn heals soon...

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
Well I for one hope that if you feel like smoking again....you won't be frightened of picking up a vape device instead....come straight here for advice on a safe setup if you like :)

I hope that burn heals soon...
No never cigarettes again... and really don't want to vape again either.. just hope this craving will eventually stop

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
No never cigarettes again... and really don't want to vape again either.. just hope this craving will eventually stop

It kind of will...it just kind of fades until one day you think...heey I haven't had a craving. I gave up smoking for 6 months years ago and started again (stupid man) but I was definitely over the cravings...In the end I needed vaping to stop...smoked for 35 years....not good :)

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
People also sometimes use the wrong wall wart when charging the older eGo, eGo-T, Evod, and similar batteries. They shouldn't be charged using wall warts with an output rating that's meant for the higher powered devices. The older 420mA and 500mA output wall warts are the ones that usually came with them and should be used for charging them.

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
It kind of will...it just kind of fades until one day you think...heey I haven't had a craving. I gave up smoking for 6 months years ago and started again (stupid man) but I was definitely over the cravings...In the end I needed vaping to stop...smoked for 35 years....not good :)
Sa
People also sometimes use the wrong wall wart when charging the older eGo, eGo-T, Evod, and similar batteries. They shouldn't be charged using wall warts with an output rating that's meant for the higher powered devices. The older 420mA and 500mA output wall warts are the ones that usually came with them and should be used for charging them.
Yes... that's probably one of the things why it went wrong here... never realised how important it is to sort of be informed about technical stuff. I just thought when it fits and charges it's okay...

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
You should be using a charger to suit your vape. ie: charger output 5V/1A or 5V/2A.
It will say on your charger:)
....and test the charger. I bought a USB tester, and the amperage and cables vary widely no matter what the charger says. It's really been an eye opener. I've seen chargers that advertise 2.1 amp charging port, but when I plug it in, it is only charging at 1.3 amps with a known good cable. There has been one case that advertised 2.1 amperage, but it was putting out 3 amps unless something else was plugged into it.

With EGO-T's being so small, there is minimalist room for any sort of protection circuitry. But seriously, to the OP, get a charging station or somewhere dedicated for charging anything with lithium Ion. I did that for my family...

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
I'm sure your experience is a valuable lesson to everyone in regards following warnings and using common sense. Especially when dealing with electricity.
Hopefully your physical scars will fade.
Lithium Ion batteries have become so much a part of our daily lives that it is easy to just assume they are safe and to mistreat them. Sometimes with disastrous results.
Yeah, what if one of those batteries would explode in a cargohold of an airplane or something. I'm sure a lot of people are not aware these things are potentially mini bombs!

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
....and test the charger. I bought a USB tester, and the amperage and cables vary widely no matter what the charger says. It's really been an eye opener. I've seen chargers that advertise 2.1 amp charging port, but when I plug it in, it is only charging at 1.3 amps with a known good cable. There has been one case that advertised 2.1 amperage, but it was putting out 3 amps unless something else was plugged into it.

With EGO-T's being so small, there is minimalist room for any sort of protection circuitry. But seriously, to the OP, get a charging station or somewhere dedicated for charging anything with lithium Ion. I did that for my family...
This was not a usb chargeable battery.

Tina B.

May 19, 2019
This was not a usb chargeable battery.
Just noticed it was Ego-c instead of Ego-t. The pictures show the charging unit and the emptied out battery cover.

Attachments

• 20190519_190200.jpg
    20190519_190200.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20190519_190259.jpg
    20190519_190259.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm glad you are more or less okay.

I WILL say the language and statements are getting just a TAD inflammatory for my taste. I do not view my batteries as "pipe bombs" I view them as batteries that I have to handle correctly. You have repeatedly said you did not do so and I thank you for your honesty. I also do not go around thinking the majority of people are going to explode their batteries on airplanes, I really don't. In fact, dare I say it is EXTREMELY unlikely for someone to fall asleep-- while charging their vape battery-- and overcharge it an set the plane on fire.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I also want to point out that it was an AVOIDABLE mistake. One you stated also that you did not think "could happen to you."

So, I hope if the cravings do NOT go away, you learn and follow some really not too difficult safety precautions because DESPITE your experience vaping is still safer FOR YOU provided you learn to handle your batteries correctly.

The problem was not vaping or your equipment even. The failure was in the choice YOU made.

Best of luck, I hope you heal up well and do well in the future.

Cautionary tales are only needed for those who do not BELIEVE in the risks to begin with so I hope some others will be helped.

But vaping is SAFE. For those who CHOOSE to do it safely.

No one is above the safety rules, NO ONE. I bet you ANYTHING Mooch uses every battery precaution he can.

Anna

Tina B.

May 19, 2019

I WILL say the language and statements are getting just a TAD inflammatory for my taste. I do not view my batteries as "pipe bombs" I view them as batteries that I have to handle correctly. You have repeatedly said you did not do so and I thank you for your honesty. I also do not go around thinking the majority of people are going to explode their batteries on airplanes, I really don't. In fact, dare I say it is EXTREMELY unlikely for someone to fall asleep-- while charging their vape battery-- and overcharge it an set the plane on fire.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I also want to point out that it was an AVOIDABLE mistake. One you stated also that you did not think "could happen to you."

So, I hope if the cravings do NOT go away, you learn and follow some really not too difficult safety precautions because DESPITE your experience vaping is still safer FOR YOU provided you learn to handle your batteries correctly.

The problem was not vaping or your equipment even. The failure was in the choice YOU made.

Cautionary tales are only needed for those who do not BELIEVE in the risks to begin with so I hope some others will be helped.

No one is above the safety rules, NO ONE. I bet you ANYTHING Mooch uses every battery precaution he can.

Anna
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying vaping is dangerous. It's definitely not just me who underestimates the power of those lithium batteries! I'm just trying to let people like myself (the not-technical/interested) know what can happen if you don't take these measures about handling lithium batteries serious. Trust me I am not proud of sharing photos of my naked back and .... online... I just know that there are plenty of people like me who just don't know how important correct battery usage/handling is.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
While we're at it, the reason I signed up here was a battery accident involving shorting an 18650 in a mechanical mod. It flew round the room like a rocket shooting out sparks, flames, toxic smoke and soot. The almost red hot case finally came to rest on the wooden floor where it proceeded to burn itself a hole. Batteries contain a lot of energy.

Before
62C1R4B.jpg

After
Zk2aVo4.jpg

Tina B.

May 19, 2019

Anna
Anna... btw..batteries can also explode when not attached to a charger. Just check video's on youtube. A guy lost 7 of his teeth whilst vaping...

• Agree

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Ouch.

Don't feel too bad though. We've all done risky things in our lives through ignorance or carelessness, just most of the time we got lucky. And hopefully we learn a lesson.

I had a mod that suddenly started firing while it was sitting on my desk. The battery started heating up and smoke came out the bottom. I was right there and got the bottom off before it caught fire, but I could have had it in my pocket or been out of the room. Something went wrong with the electronics. It can happen with a whole range of battery powered devices, even if you follow all the rules. The up side is that if you follow the rules the chances of a problem go down close to zero.

Appreciate you taking the time to help spread the word. If you ever get tempted to smoke again get some decent vape gear and don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread