Smok

Status
Not open for further replies.

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
So done. I've struggled with the Majesty mod for four months and it's been nothing but frustration. Leaking tanks, rba deck has multiple design flaws that constantly require repair and attention, display randomly goes really dark, etc....

I'm usually not the type to get on a public forum and trash a company but...if you make trash I will trash it. Just ...... I put the investment into it.

Geekvape Aegis Legend and a Zeus Dual Coil RTA from the local vape shop...TOMORROW MORNING.

See ya smok. At least I learned a lot about what not to buy anymore.

Pod_Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2018
East Coast, USA
I feel the same way about another brand. Spit hot juice all over me from two defective devices right out of the box and customer service wanted me to send it back to China on my dime. They didn't seem to care at all and never even tried to replace it or offer a credit, etc.

Luckily, there's lots of other companies that make great products.

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
People say SMOK have a lot of QC issues but I do propose this theory

Company A sells 10000 mods per month. They have 500 mods with faults.

Company B sells 1000 mods per month and 5000 tanks per month. They have 50 mods with faults.

By basic force of numbers, Company A has more mods with faults BUT has the higher quantity sold. This means that, whilst they have the same failure percentage, there's a lot more Company A mods with faults than Company B which means more disappointed customers for Company A. A disappointed customer will tell an average of 8 - 10 people about their poor experience. A positive experience will be relayed to approximately 3 people.

If you take into account the general negativity of the internet, we can assume that they are 8 x more likely to leave a bad review/post/comment etc than a positive experience customer.

Going back to the numbers, this means that, averaging 10 people per fault, 5000 people will here about bad experiences with Company A whereas just 500 will hear about Company B. Taking into account the internet, if a negative post is made and we assume an average traffic of 500 people per post (literally just pulling a figure from thin air here on the basis of it being a popular post) 2500 will hear about Company B compared to a massive 25,000 for Company A.

Customer service is a different kind of beast and not covered by my rough calculations.

Just bear this in mind when getting feedback on companies like SMOK.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I have a Smok TFV8 BBB that I am extremely happy with.

I was as well until the afc jammed only a quarter of the way open and no matter what I tried I could never fix it.

That said, I do have an Alien and AL85 along with a BB which have all held up well, including the finish.

I think it's just tough to maintain decent QC when you're coming out with something new every week.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

Company B sells 1000 mods per month and 5000 tanks per month. They have 50 mods with faults.

By basic force of numbers, Company A has more mods with faults BUT has the higher quantity sold. This means that, whilst they have the same failure percentage, there's a lot more Company A mods with faults than Company B which means more disappointed customers for Company A. A disappointed customer will tell an average of 8 - 10 people about their poor experience. A positive experience will be relayed to approximately 3 people.

If you take into account the general negativity of the internet, we can assume that they are 8 x more likely to leave a bad review/post/comment etc than a positive experience customer.

Going back to the numbers, this means that, averaging 10 people per fault, 5000 people will here about bad experiences with Company A whereas just 500 will hear about Company B. Taking into account the internet, if a negative post is made and we assume an average traffic of 500 people per post (literally just pulling a figure from thin air here on the basis of it being a popular post) 2500 will hear about Company B compared to a massive 25,000 for Company A.

Customer service is a different kind of beast and not covered by my rough calculations.

I try to keep this in mind, but there are other big companies

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio

This doesn't explain why other companies that sell similar quantities have less of a reputation for rapid failures. I have cheap mods that have out lived smok mods big time. I bought one pico, to a friends 5 various smok mods. My Pico still works, none of his smok mods works and he smokes cigs again because he had such a bad experience.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia

It's not the first time that theory has been proposed and I'm sure it won't be the last. Not that I disagree with it entirely, but not counting overall SMOK sales, simply look at ecf membership. There's been countless threads complaining about smok with a few satisfied customers coming to their defense. Just in this tiny slice of the vaping community, SMOK is batting about 250 or worse. I don't care how many more mods they sell compared to company X....those numbers are deplorable and they should be embarrassed .

And before you say unhappy customers are the loudest, explain the old ProVari threads...:D

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX

Except we have people here that do/have worked in retail sales of ecigs and have witnessed first hand how many SMOK products failed per how many sold. Reports are between 20% and 33%. It also hurts them that their "warranty" is essentially, "If it breaks you buy another". With that said below is a post I made concerning this very topic back in March of this year:

I know a lot of us (myself occasionally included) like to rib SMOK's failure rate, but the truth is the odds of getting a good one have always been in the buyers favor. Even 4 years ago when they appear to have had as high as a 33% failure rate, the odds of getting a good one were in the buyer's favor. Their failure rate over the years does seem to have improved possibly to as low as 20% according to some very NOT scientific polls of B&M stores conducted by an ECF member. The reason people rib SMOK so much is because while the odds of getting a good one are definitely in your favor, they just are not as high as getting a good one with many other brands. Sometimes a person can be unlucky and get a bad one from even the top companies. Even the (and here comes the gasoline and match) mighty Provari occasionally had issues, but they did also have a hellava warranty.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Except we have people here that do/have worked in retail sales of ecigs and have witnessed first hand how many SMOK products failed per how many sold. Reports are between 20% and 33%. It also hurts them that their "warranty" is essentially, "If it breaks you buy another". With that said below is a post I made concerning this very topic back in March of this year:

I know a lot of us (myself occasionally included) like to rib SMOK's failure rate, but the truth is the odds of getting a good one have always been in the buyers favor. Even 4 years ago when they appear to have had as high as a 33% failure rate, the odds of getting a good one were in the buyer's favor. Their failure rate over the years does seem to have improved possibly to as low as 20% according to some very NOT scientific polls of B&M stores conducted by an ECF member. The reason people rib SMOK so much is because while the odds of getting a good one are definitely in your favor, they just are not as high as getting a good one with many other brands. Sometimes a person can be unlucky and get a bad one from even the top companies. Even the (and here comes the gasoline and match) mighty Provari occasionally had issues, but they did also have a hellava warranty.
    I'm one of those people who worked in retail and saw first hand the likelihood that a SMOK product would be more likely to fail. I never recommend SMOK mods, tanks, or coils. There are much better reliable/dependable products on the market to spend your hard earned money on.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread