Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
People say smok have a lot of QC issues but I do propose this theory

Company A sells 10000 mods per month. They have 500 mods with faults.

Company B sells 1000 mods per month and 5000 tanks per month. They have 50 mods with faults.

By basic force of numbers, Company A has more mods with faults BUT has the higher quantity sold. This means that, whilst they have the same failure percentage, there's a lot more Company A mods with faults than Company B which means more disappointed customers for Company A. A disappointed customer will tell an average of 8 - 10 people about their poor experience. A positive experience will be relayed to approximately 3 people.

If you take into account the general negativity of the internet, we can assume that they are 8 x more likely to leave a bad review/post/comment etc than a positive experience customer.

Going back to the numbers, this means that, averaging 10 people per fault, 5000 people will here about bad experiences with Company A whereas just 500 will hear about Company B. Taking into account the internet, if a negative post is made and we assume an average traffic of 500 people per post (literally just pulling a figure from thin air here on the basis of it being a popular post) 2500 will hear about Company B compared to a massive 25,000 for Company A.

Customer service is a different kind of beast and not covered by my rough calculations.

Just bear this in mind when getting feedback on companies like smok.

Overall the odd work out but then SMOK doesn't actually provide any customer service. All companies have a few lemons but SMOK seems to have several. There is enough dissatisfaction out there with SMOK for me to steer clear of them.

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
People say SMOK have a lot of QC issues but I do propose this theory

Company B sells 1000 mods per month and 5000 tanks per month. They have 50 mods with faults.

By basic force of numbers, Company A has more mods with faults BUT has the higher quantity sold. This means that, whilst they have the same failure percentage, there's a lot more Company A mods with faults than Company B which means more disappointed customers for Company A. A disappointed customer will tell an average of 8 - 10 people about their poor experience. A positive experience will be relayed to approximately 3 people.

If you take into account the general negativity of the internet, we can assume that they are 8 x more likely to leave a bad review/post/comment etc than a positive experience customer.

Going back to the numbers, this means that, averaging 10 people per fault, 5000 people will here about bad experiences with Company A whereas just 500 will hear about Company B. Taking into account the internet, if a negative post is made and we assume an average traffic of 500 people per post (literally just pulling a figure from thin air here on the basis of it being a popular post) 2500 will hear about Company B compared to a massive 25,000 for Company A.

Customer service is a different kind of beast and not covered by my rough calculations.

Just bear this in mind when getting feedback on companies like SMOK.

I understand your point. That being said, the other products I've held in my hand were obviously of better quality. The Aegis is IP7 rated for slightly more money. I just didn't know better.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't love hating on Smok and I think they do some things well: big clouds, color, design, a new mod to impress your friends with every 3 months or so. I am not a sub0hm vaper so I'm really not equipped to say whether the vape is "good" or not, although I do hear plenty of complaints about their tanks and mods. They play well to a certain demographic, the kind that wants to wander around with something inexpensively "cool" in their hands, aren't super discriminating besides fog and whatnot, and are risk takers. Smok has no customer service because they spend all their money on marketing to their target demographic, who often expects less because they started with Smok from the vape shop.

Where I take issue with Smok is their QC process. Their rate of failures is abysmal. I'm not saying Smok as a brand should be demolished or anything but they should be held accountable, for near misses, for mods blowing up, for poor coil quality, and they should (in my opinion) be held to a similar standard as other, more quality vape manufacturers. There is for sure, voting with your feet, but there is for sure, inherent more risk (IMHO) in smok products, they're like one tiny bit less risky than a mech.

Unfortunately or fortunately, that day is probably far away and if they do get sort of "forced" into some quality, somehow, well it will be along with other vaping "things" that I may or may not agree with.

I think Smok should put out half as many products, and the rest should be spent on quality control. But, that's just me.

Anna

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I LOVE MY SMOKs!!!:wub::wub::wub::pervy::pervy:

My 2 ancient SMOK SID tube mods vape like a dream. (Best $10 BOGO vape deal I've ever come across!) My SMOK R-STEAM MINI 80 WATT has been an excellent single bay charger for about 2 years now. Does a wonderful job of keeping batteries ready for all my iStick Pico mods!;)

Last edited:

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
I don't like any of their mods. From the friends I have who ever owned any Smok mods, they do not last too long.

My beef with Smok is their TFV8s. The tanks are ok. They do their job and they do have decent flavor, but their coils are horrible. They last a couple days and they gunk up so fast, even with non sugary flavors. Now that is my experience and everyone will have varying degree of success and failures with this brand.

RumbleFish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
L.A.
I've been relatively happy with my SMOK products. I did have an X-Priv mod go whacky and, their coils leave a bit to be desired but, my TFV12 Prince tank has been reliable in terms of not leaking and it holds the most juice of any tank I've ever had. I also like the attached top of the tank for easy refills. I really like my X-Priv Baby. You get the big screen and features in a pocket friendly size. TFV8 Baby Prince tank that comes w/ it accepts the Vaporesso Cascade One GT coils, which is nice. I just got the new V-Fin mod, haven't tried it yet but, 8000mah built in battery was appealing.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
People think the model t was a great, incredibly reliable car. As evidence they show the model Ts still running. Sadly this is not really true. The model t was neither well built nor particularly reliable. What it was was made in terrific quantities. Yes some model Ts survived. It IS possible to make a reliable car on an assembly line be that does not normally produce them. It requires a certain amount of luck is all, and if you roll the dice enough times eventually you will hit box cars. Are there reliable good performing smok mods? Yes. But there are less of them than there probably should be. Smok engineers are not incompetent. The devices work as designed. They just don’t have the fit and finish to do it for very long. If all you want for a device is to last until something better comes out this is fine. There’s a good argument for it even. Smok products are cheap. This sort of thing only matters if you want a device that will last and withstand bad handling. Not everyone does.

Last edited:

Lil_Nugget

Aug 21, 2018
People say SMOK have a lot of QC issues but I do propose this theory

Just bear this in mind when getting feedback on companies like SMOK.

~~ I agree completely. The one and only Aspire tank in my possession is sitting in it's box unused because of the terrible leaking I experienced. KangorTech has been my go to for a couple of years, then I found the Smok Baby Prince stick set and fell in love!! No leaking. Top fill. Battery lasts forever. The glass tanks? Not so much. They are top heavy and I knock things over. A 3D printed band fixed that problem.

It's not so much an ENTIRE brand that sucks. People have limited knowledge of the ka-zillion products out there. That's what stops me from changing anything. Not ALL THESE THINGS ARE CRAP kind of posts (I do not mean that as a judgment of the OP <3)

My thoughts. Take them as you will. With the best intentions. Always.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Smok mods over the last few years are a primarily targeted at specific audience. Flashy lights, garish colors and short attention spans, those who don't care that a mod only lasts 6 months so they can go out and buy another flashier mod with even more LEDs and pointless features. Flakey paint and terrible QC are consequential of their carpet bombing marketing strategy.
It must be a successful business model because they have shifted millions of units.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

~~ I agree completely. The one and only Aspire tank in my possession is sitting in it's box unused because of the terrible leaking I experienced. KangorTech has been my go to for a couple of years, then I found the Smok Baby Prince stick set and fell in love!! No leaking. Top fill. Battery lasts forever. The glass tanks? Not so much. They are top heavy and I knock things over. A 3D printed band fixed that problem.

It's not so much an ENTIRE brand that sucks. People have limited knowledge of the ka-zillion products out there. That's what stops me from changing anything. Not ALL THESE THINGS ARE CRAP kind of posts (I do not mean that as a judgment of the OP <3)

My thoughts. Take them as you will. With the best intentions. Always.

If you get one that works they can be very nice products. My 2 Smok mods still work and look fine. But overall they do have a higher failure rate than others, and the frequent new releases makes it hard to perfect a consistent assembly line.

My bigger beef is how they name stuff. Between 6 different tanks of tvf6 and another bunch of tvf12 models, throw in the bizarre coil labeling and good luck figuring out replacement coils to buy.

RumbleFish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2011
L.A.
Smok mods over the last few years are a primarily targeted at specific audience. Flashy lights, garish colors and short attention spans, those who don't care that a mod only lasts 6 months so they can go out and buy another flashier mod with even more LEDs and pointless features.

So, now you're taking shots at the people who buy SMOK products by calling them people with short attention spans who are drawn to garish colors and flashing lights? All my mods are basic black & red or polished aluminum. I buy the gear I buy based on the features and reviews.

So, you're some kind of vaping snob who likes to belittle those who don't use the same gear as you?

It's one thing to bash a product, it's quite another to insult those who might purchase said products. I get annoyed by people who pass judgement on people they've never met and who they know nothing about.

I see that like in many areas of life, there's doochbags here too.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So, now you're taking shots at the people who buy SMOK products by calling them people with short attention spans who are drawn to garish colors and flashing lights? All my mods are basic black & red or polished aluminum. I buy the gear I buy based on the features and reviews.

So, you're some kind of vaping snob who likes to belittle those who don't use the same gear as you?

No, he was objective very correct about the bright colors and flashing lights. You are attempting to find objection where none exists.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um I think that's one of Smok's PLUSES actually, they do color well, they do develop products quickly (maybe sometimes too quickly) but they DO IT, and well, some people like to vape new things, some people enjoy large clouds.

Every single thing said about Smok is somewhat true, honestly. If they make black mods for like the less colorful among us, then great. I actually think color by smok is one of its best features, to be quite honest.

You don't have to be a glass empty kind of person, really.

I just have this desire for my vape equipment to not blow up and to work. I'm pretty hard on gear, and I am a MTL vaper so I own some very elderly, new to me provaris.

There are significant downsides to a provari for sub0hm vaping, but I shall tread very lightly as this post is about smok.

I've always prided myself about not really caring about the things *I* like. In a nanny interview one time this rather brash dad asked me if my danscos (the shoes of the ugliness, the shoes every medical professional owns because you can stand in them all day) "were cultural." Instead of getting offended, I told him that no, uh, they were shoes I could wear to chase down any kid, including his.

IDK if he thought part of my heritage was Danish, but I did not care that he thought my shoes were so ugly, they were noteworthy, etc. I did not feel the need to go into the dark history of women's footwear starting with Chinese footbinding either. LOL.

Anna

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser

It's one thing to bash a product, it's quite another to insult those who might purchase said products. I get annoyed by people who pass judgement on people they've never met and who they know nothing about.

I was poking fun, you shouldn't take yourself so seriously. Black and red is still pretty garish.
By the way you misspelled ..........

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That opinion is natural for a reviewer. They never use one mod for more than a few weeks. The issue is that more than a few smok mods don’t LAST more than a few weeks. Smok mods are designed to garner good reviews. That they do so is unsurprising. It’s the sometimes extremely short service life that the anti smok contingent has a problem with and that is something the average reviewer is not equipped to test. You get those kind of reviews in places like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread