The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Smok

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by smizak, Aug 20, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. smizak

smizak Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2018
    So done. I've struggled with the Majesty mod for four months and it's been nothing but frustration. Leaking tanks, RBA deck has multiple design flaws that constantly require repair and attention, display randomly goes really dark, etc....

I'm usually not the type to get on a public forum and trash a company but...if you make trash I will trash it. Just pissed I put the investment into it.

Geekvape Aegis Legend and a Zeus Dual Coil RTA from the local vape shop...TOMORROW MORNING.

See ya Smok. At least I learned a lot about what not to buy anymore.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    NE FL
    Rules of thumb:
    • Do not buy batteries that are have "Fire" as part of the name.
    • Do not buy devices that have "Smok" as part of the name.

• Agree x 14
    • Like x 6
    • Funny x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. jim_87

jim_87 Resident Forum Lurker ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    I don't own, and will never own a smok product. They have a lot of QC issues, there are many better brands. You will really like the aegis legend, I also have one.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pod_Vaper

Pod_Vaper Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I feel the same way about another brand. Spit hot juice all over me from two defective devices right out of the box and customer service wanted me to send it back to China on my dime. They didn't seem to care at all and never even tried to replace it or offer a credit, etc.

Luckily, there's lots of other companies that make great products.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Doctorvapes

Doctorvapes Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2017
    The aegis Legend is nice. I love mine. I have it paired with pharaoh mini. Good luck.

• Like Like x 5
  6. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    You may want to upgrade the firmware on the legend depending on what it comes with. Or ideally make the vape shop do it if they can

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Excellent advice!
    I have been following the rules since 2014.

Cheers
    I

• Like Like x 12
  8. NicotineRush

NicotineRush Linux Mint/Mate Verified Member ECF Veteran

Never had a problem with any Aspire product. (i have plenty!) Think I'd quit vaping if Smok was the only choice!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Oops wrong thread. Nvm

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. LewisW295

LewisW295 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2015
    South Glamorgan, Wales
    People say SMOK have a lot of QC issues but I do propose this theory

Company A sells 10000 mods per month. They have 500 mods with faults.

Company B sells 1000 mods per month and 5000 tanks per month. They have 50 mods with faults.

By basic force of numbers, Company A has more mods with faults BUT has the higher quantity sold. This means that, whilst they have the same failure percentage, there's a lot more Company A mods with faults than Company B which means more disappointed customers for Company A. A disappointed customer will tell an average of 8 - 10 people about their poor experience. A positive experience will be relayed to approximately 3 people.

If you take into account the general negativity of the internet, we can assume that they are 8 x more likely to leave a bad review/post/comment etc than a positive experience customer.

Going back to the numbers, this means that, averaging 10 people per fault, 5000 people will here about bad experiences with Company A whereas just 500 will hear about Company B. Taking into account the internet, if a negative post is made and we assume an average traffic of 500 people per post (literally just pulling a figure from thin air here on the basis of it being a popular post) 2500 will hear about Company B compared to a massive 25,000 for Company A.

Customer service is a different kind of beast and not covered by my rough calculations.

Just bear this in mind when getting feedback on companies like SMOK.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I have a Smok TFV8 BBB that I am extremely happy with.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I was as well until the afc jammed only a quarter of the way open and no matter what I tried I could never fix it.

That said, I do have an Alien and AL85 along with a BB which have all held up well, including the finish.

I think it's just tough to maintain decent QC when you're coming out with something new every week.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I try to keep this in mind, but there are other big companies

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    This doesn't explain why other companies that sell similar quantities have less of a reputation for rapid failures. I have cheap mods that have out lived smok mods big time. I bought one pico, to a friends 5 various smok mods. My Pico still works, none of his smok mods works and he smokes cigs again because he had such a bad experience.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    It's not the first time that theory has been proposed and I'm sure it won't be the last. Not that I disagree with it entirely, but not counting overall SMOK sales, simply look at ecf membership. There's been countless threads complaining about smok with a few satisfied customers coming to their defense. Just in this tiny slice of the vaping community, SMOK is batting about 250 or worse. I don't care how many more mods they sell compared to company X....those numbers are deplorable and they should be embarrassed .

And before you say unhappy customers are the loudest, explain the old ProVari threads...:D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  16. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Haha, that mighta had more to do with the personalities of the participants than the product :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Isn't it always a struggle when you want to click like, agree AND funny?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Except we have people here that do/have worked in retail sales of ecigs and have witnessed first hand how many SMOK products failed per how many sold. Reports are between 20% and 33%. It also hurts them that their "warranty" is essentially, "If it breaks you buy another". With that said below is a post I made concerning this very topic back in March of this year:

I know a lot of us (myself occasionally included) like to rib SMOK's failure rate, but the truth is the odds of getting a good one have always been in the buyers favor. Even 4 years ago when they appear to have had as high as a 33% failure rate, the odds of getting a good one were in the buyer's favor. Their failure rate over the years does seem to have improved possibly to as low as 20% according to some very NOT scientific polls of B&M stores conducted by an ECF member. The reason people rib SMOK so much is because while the odds of getting a good one are definitely in your favor, they just are not as high as getting a good one with many other brands. Sometimes a person can be unlucky and get a bad one from even the top companies. Even the (and here comes the gasoline and match) mighty Provari occasionally had issues, but they did also have a hellava warranty.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. LewisW295

LewisW295 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2015
    South Glamorgan, Wales
    As I said, just a theory guys :)

• Like Like x 5
  20. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'm one of those people who worked in retail and saw first hand the likelihood that a SMOK product would be more likely to fail. I never recommend SMOK mods, tanks, or coils. There are much better reliable/dependable products on the market to spend your hard earned money on.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.