Status
Not open for further replies.

bwoodroof

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cookeville, TN
www.facebook.com
So this is the second set of "VTC5" batteries that I received from sellers on eBay. I will post all the correspondence from one seller and the batteries i received from him. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Me: These batteries are fake and I would like to return them for a refund.

Seller: Offered a $0.01 partial refund and stated that he does not sell fake batteries

Me: Here is information from Illumination Supply, a reputable company that works with these batteries and portable lights that use them. (1st and 2nd photos) I have also taken a picture with the batteries I received from you along with a real VTC5, which is on the far right of the picture. They are hard fakes to spot, but in the end they are fake.

Seller: They are authentic Sony's. They come from one of our partners; Vapeusa.net. Please call them if you would like and ask them about the Sony VTC5. They are a US based authentic dealer, and will be glad to help. There is only so much I can help with through here. I know the site you refer to, as most people do, Sun Vapors. They are mistaken when they made their article about the Sony's. There are actually 3 editions of the VTC5, all authentic but have slight differences. If you run a readout of these batteries yourself you will see how they perform as they should. If you'd like, I can also supply you with numerous highly reputable company websites which sell these same batteries. Let me know!

Me:
Those first two pictures came from Illumination Supply, not Sun Vapors. Sun Vapors' article is dated since more counterfeit batteries look more like VTC5 batteries. Also the quality of the battery is not clean like my authentic VTC5s, the wrapper is not centered correctly on all the batteries. I will place another picture with discharge ratings of the Samsung 25R, fake VTC5, and a real VTC5. As you see the batteries that look like Samsung 25R, like the ones you sold me have less capacity and are not authentic.

Attachments

• VTC5 Fake 2.jpg
    VTC5 Fake 2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 31

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So this is the second set of "VTC5" batteries that I received from sellers on eBay. I will post all the correspondence from one seller and the batteries i received from him. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated.
With all due respect to you sir, why are you purchasing batteries from eBay? :?:

If you want to increase your chances of getting authentic battery brands, why not purchase from the more reputable vendors like RTD Vapor, Illumination Supply, or Orbtronics (when they are in stock)? eBay and Amazon are notorious for selling counterfeit batteries

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
AFAIK, there are no legit VTC5 on the market right now. Best we can do are VTC4.

There may be... I'll know in about 30 minutes when the mailroom guy returns from the post office.

edit: mine are fake.

What's the deal with the lack of authentic VTC5s? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

Apparently, the Sony battery plant in Japan was adversely impacted by the earthquakes a few years ago and production either ceased entirely or capacity was greatly diminished.

Depending on what time of day it is, you can read either that Sony is building (has built?) a new plant in the Philippines and the VTC cells will be back in the pipeline at some point or that Sony has permanently discontinued production of all 18650 cells. I've not seen any credible sources to verify either claim.

Last edited:

bwoodroof

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cookeville, TN
www.facebook.com

bwoodroof

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cookeville, TN
www.facebook.com
With all due respect to you sir, why are you purchasing batteries from eBay? :?:

If you want to increase your chances of getting authentic battery brands, why not purchase from the more reputable vendors like RTD Vapor, Illumination Supply, or Orbtronics (when they are in stock)? eBay and Amazon are notorious for selling counterfeit batteries

Everywhere else is sold out. I went to a local B&M and bought their last VTC4 yesterday, which was authentic, for $15 and change.

methodz

Nov 5, 2014
Hollywood
The seller is captainvapor on eBay. He is offering a full refund + he is paying return shipping. He has sold a crap ton of these. I hope nothing happens to the people who bought them from him. After I emailed him about this he changed the picture on his listing from one that are authentic to the actual ones he is selling.

2 Sony VTC5 US18650 2600mAh 30A Rechargable Li on Batteries Authentic Genuine | eBay

Dude, I bought from this guy and my batteries have a sticker on them that say made in China :( so I guess fake then :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread