Yet another VTC5 battery thread but with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

staplerz

Oct 20, 2014
I recently purchased a pair of Sony VTC5 batteries from Amazon for $31. Did Sony ever manufacture VTC5's with 5 "prongs"? Could you guys help me out to determine if they are counterfeit or legit? I would like to return them if they are indeed counterfeit.

Here's are some photos of the batteries.
Are these Sony VTC5? (will update title if confirmed genuine) - Imgur

Conversation between the seller and I.
ME:
I believe the batteries I received are not Sony manufactured which would make them non-genuine. I would like to resolve my concerns before I attempt to return them. Any evidence/documentation they are indeed genuine would satisfy me.

ME:
The main reason I think their fake is because there are 5 "contact" points instead of the usual 3. I searched for a good hour and could not find any VTC batteries with 5 "prongs".

Fresh-Hat-Supply:
So here lies the problem. Most sites are selling clones and create a fake vs real image that misleads the public. The original VTC3 had a 3 prong top, vtc4 4 prong, the vtc5 has 5 prongs. So the real way to identify would be by the prong number + stripping down the coat as shown in the picture attached. That goes to show how many people out there most likely have fake batteries. This may not be 100% true, but because of the OEM nature, (see pasted article below) Sony is really only the owner of the battery cell technology. They have for a very long time not been manufactured by sony at all and various companies like samsung use the sony vtc technology.

I have no problem at all issuing you a refund and will even pick them up from you to save you the hassle. We do what all quality control centers do when testing, we look for the data and make sure it corresponds to the data sheet, since in the end a fake usually is not close to the quality of a genuine oem battery and we have seen that the tests prove to be far from the specs listed in the data sheet.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed and it won't be an issue.

Thanks,
Vinay

(I SENT HIM A PIC OF THE 5 PRONGS)
Fresh-Hat-Supply:
Nice pic! I just replied to your previous message. If you are able to test the battery for yourself, I have no doubt they perform at the specified parameters.. Would it be ok for me to use that picture you took? I will wait for your confirmation.

Me:
Use it to your hearts content! Also I am satisfied they are legit Sony VTC5 batteries! I would also like to thank you and applaud your customer support! Thank you very much! I wish there was a way to make a "sticky thread" of all of this for the vape community. lol

Thanks again and I owe you karma (or gold if you reddit)!

Enjoy your night!

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

roosterado

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2014
willmar MN
Yeah... Out of the thousands of authentic VTC5's I've seen, none have been 5 prong, yet alone 4 prong. It is totally possible that these came from the new facility in the Philippines though... If it is even open yet.
I wish I could remember the Vapers Broadcast that quoted a Sony Rep as saying the Philipines plant production was at 60% but they had other reular customers to satify[Laptops/cordless drills?] Hope this is not just rumor or a hoax. Althought there do seen to be good Alternatives according to forums

staplerz

Oct 20, 2014
I wish I could remember the Vapers Broadcast that quoted a Sony Rep as saying the Philipines plant production was at 60% but they had other reular customers to satify[Laptops/cordless drills?] Hope this is not just rumor or a hoax. Althought there do seen to be good Alternatives according to forums

The seller is claiming they are from the Philippines. Is there any way to figure out when they started shipping out of the Philippines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread