Status
Not open for further replies.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
Sorry about this but I couldn't find enough info to feel comfortable about these batteries yet. I bought this set from a recent recommendation on the Vapor Joe site. It was from an eBay seller with a 5-figure rating. I checked out Sun Vapors site and compared pics but their article is for VTC5s. Mine looked like the pics of the real battery except the UPC mark looks more like the fake and is on the opposite side from the other printing, like the fake they show, but again, they are comparing VTC5s.

How to spot a fake Sony VTC5 battery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 416

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I saw your first post yesterday Miata, but I didn't have a good response. I have both VTC3 and VTC4 batteries. My VTC3 have the same negative end shape as the fakes on that website. All my UPC marks are worn off. I'm not aware of any fake VTC4s out there.

I buy from known good suppliers. Going forward, I'm probably going to favor Illumination Supply because they caught the VTC5s which were actually Samsung 25R's. None of this helps you though.

If I were in your position I would check voltage drop under load. I know my new VTC4s had a very consistent 0.4V drop with a 0.5 ohm atty in a couple of my mods. If new VTC4s came in at 0.43V I would be unsure of them. At 0.45V I would consider them not VTC4s.

That's all I've got.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
I saw your first post yesterday Miata, but I didn't have a good response. I have both VTC3 and VTC4 batteries. My VTC3 have the same negative end shape as the fakes on that website. All my UPC marks are worn off. I'm not aware of any fake VTC4s out there.

I buy from known good suppliers. Going forward, I'm probably going to favor Illumination Supply because they caught the VTC5s which were actually Samsung 25R's. None of this helps you though.

If I were in your position I would check voltage drop under load. I know my new VTC4s had a very consistent 0.4V drop with a 0.5 ohm atty in a couple of my mods. If new VTC4s came in at 0.43V I would be unsure of them. At 0.45V I would consider them not VTC4s.

That's all I've got.

My story is the exact same as the OP. I received my batteries yesterday and they just didn't look 'real'. It looks like someone wrote with a felt-tip pen on it and then put messy scotch tape over it which smugged the writing. It's unreadable. Then there's a mark on it that's almost unreadable and printed very light on the battery side which says "SE US18650UTC4 C4" then under that it looks like "G 0623042WE27H". Then to the right of all that is a symbol or backwards RJ or some such thing. Also, far to the left of all the print is that black square data box?

The battery comes in a green box that says "High Discharge Rate Li-ion Battery...VTC4 3.7V...2100mAh. Also says, "Change Life...Realize Dream". Also says, "CLRD" inside a circular rainbow design.

I've written to the seller to ask if he/she knows whether or not this is a legitimate battery.

The battery voltage shows 3.6 on my Vamo. I'm charging it now. My question is how do I check for voltage drop, can I do that also with the Vamo (I can't find my volt-meter). Is this the way to find out if these are good batteries or not?

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry about this but I couldn't find enough info to feel comfortable about these batteries yet. I bought this set from a recent recommendation on the Vapor Joe site. It was from an eBay seller with a 5-figure rating. I checked out Sun Vapors site and compared pics but their article is for VTC5s. Mine looked like the pics of the real battery except the UPC mark looks more like the fake and is on the opposite side from the other printing, like the fake they show, but again, they are comparing VTC5s.

How to spot a fake Sony VTC5 battery

One thing you have to Consider about e-Bays rating System.

I can sell a Ton of Old Clothes, Used CD's, Baseball Cards, Shoe Laces and Rack Up a Ton of Positive Feedback. But that Doesn't Mean that I know Anything about telling the Difference between a Real and a Fake Batteries. Or have any Way (or Knowledge) to Test a Battery.

I think that Most People who Sell Fake Batteries are acting on Good Faith. They believe what the person who Supplied them with the Batteries tells them. And Most People would not Willing Sell a Fake Battery if they Knew it was Fake.

BTW - How Much Did you save by Buying these Batteries on e-Bay? Verses How Much did you Spend Every Month when you Smoked?

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
My Seller on eBay has very good feedback. But of course that doesn't mean he/she knows anything about batteries. But I would sure hope no Seller would sell batteries before they knew they were safe.

I don't know what spending money on smoking analogs has to do with buying batteries on eBay.

The savings on these batteries was promoted by "Vapor Joe's" but is it dangerous to assume that he knows the batteries he recommends are safe? That is another good question.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I don't know what spending money on smoking analogs has to do with buying batteries on eBay.

The Reason I asked was because I was Spending about $175/Month on Analogs when I switched to e-Cigarettes.

So when I go to buy a Battery, I don't think twice about spending 2 or 3 Bucks More to buy from someone who is Registered on the ECF as a Supplier. And I can Read if the Supplier is Reliable and or has ever had a Problem with Selling Fake Batteries.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Although my batteries are the VTC4's...I compared them with the VTC5 real and fake batteries. Mine passed the test. I wonder if the '5' fake batts look the same as the '4' batts. Prolly?

I'm still waiting for an answer from the Seller. For now, my first batt tested at 3.6 V before charging and 4.2 after charging, so I'm using it in my Reo to see how it does.

zoiDman...I figured that was your reason for asking how much we spent on analogs long ago. And your reasoning is good. But remember, before just recently, there was always good competition for better prices on good batteries. Now, unfortunately, we have to be more careful and consider more than just the cost.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My story is the exact same as the OP. I received my batteries yesterday and they just didn't look 'real'. It looks like someone wrote with a felt-tip pen on it and then put messy scotch tape over it which smugged the writing. It's unreadable. Then there's a mark on it that's almost unreadable and printed very light on the battery side which says "SE US18650UTC4 C4" then under that it looks like "G 0623042WE27H". Then to the right of all that is a symbol or backwards RJ or some such thing. Also, far to the left of all the print is that black square data box?

The battery comes in a green box that says "High Discharge Rate Li-ion Battery...VTC4 3.7V...2100mAh. Also says, "Change Life...Realize Dream". Also says, "CLRD" inside a circular rainbow design.

I've written to the seller to ask if he/she knows whether or not this is a legitimate battery.

The battery voltage shows 3.6 on my Vamo. I'm charging it now. My question is how do I check for voltage drop, can I do that also with the Vamo (I can't find my volt-meter). Is this the way to find out if these are good batteries or not?

Let's take the easiest one first; you can't check voltage drop on a regulated mod, even with a volt meter. You can only do it on a mechanical mod.

I can't help you with the 'is it counterfeit' question. I would have to test it somehow. V-drop seems like a good way to go to me. That's a very good indication of internal resistance.

Once you've bought from a unknown source, testing the battery is the only way to know what you've got for sure.

Sorry I can't help more.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
But I would sure hope no Seller would sell batteries before they knew they were safe.

Not every seller knows how to test batteries and not every seller has the equipment to do so. On Ebay or Amazon you don't really know the sellers like so many people know for example RTD Vapor or Illumination Supply. Without that known reputation, all bets are off and I would expect the seller to not know what they are selling and if I was not prepared to accpet that I would not buy from them. I would not buy a vape battery from either of these sources unless I knew the seller as well as I know the two I mentioned.

zoiDman already responded to that, but I wanted to add one thing. A little while back I put together a post about the cost of good batteries. Check it out. It might surprise you just how little it costs to buy the best batteries.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks Ryedan. I think there are probably a lot of vapers that trust "Vapor Joes" to not lead us to unsafe batteries, just like they trust the tried and true vendors. I banked my purchase on that. It's just a cryin shame that somebody is messing with batteries now.

There is Nothing New about Knock-Off Batteries. And they have been Slipping into the Market for a Long Time. Way before the e-Cigarettes hit the Scene.

But you are Right. It is a Shame that it Has to Happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread