fastest charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofastman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
MN
So far I see the Xtar SP2 offers a 2A setting, is there anything faster?
I usually charge at 250mah, but sometimes I need my 18650s to be charged NOW. (For my mods and a flashlight I have at work)

Perhaps i should get this and solder a couple magnets to the ends of the charge leads? Would that work as long as proper max charge rates are observed?

Last edited:

Madmullet

Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA, Earth
Fast charging will lower your battery life cycle and not give you the most optimal run time. Slow and steady will win the race. I would look into going the other route and pick up some quality batteries that you have charged on hand. Some Sony VCt 4 or CVT5 you can probably find 4 of them for the cost of a new charger. I think most chargers are limited to lower charge rates for safety reasons.

The 185650s we use are crazy powerful batteries you don't want to anger them they will fight back and make a mess of things or even worst burn down your house.

Here is a vid of what kind of energy is in a 18650 and what happens if you charge them to fast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsAymO7Y9lU

Just my 2 cents
Have a great Saturday

glycerol

ECF Veteran
I don't know about this 2A Xtar, but 1A output is the safe rmax for 18650s, 500mA for 18350s. Heard people push *18650s only* up to 1.5A, but that's really dangerous and kills brand new batteries in two months. Imho one must get a descent universal intel. charder that doesn't overcharge, charges progressively and at maximum 500mA, just to be safe, one with more (like 6+) bays and a few more batteries and you will always have some freshly charged.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
The 2 amp setting is probably for a 26650 big dog

My efest soda @ 1amp will fully charge a 18650 2000mah in about an hour. You need faster than an hour? I guess you could
Go up to 1c max more than that your damaging the battery. So technically you may be able charge a 2000 mah + imr battery at 2 Amps, depending on the batteries amp rating and discharge max rate.(imr) but its recommended to charge at a max Of .75c or charge cycles are reduced.

Do not charge at over 1c rating of the battery or you definitely risk a vent or worse.

Last edited:

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
It's not if they can handle it, it's how many 500mAh full charge cicles you'd kill during just a single 4A charge. But yeah, if one has the money to buy batteries every two weeks or so - why not?
Oh come on. Charging at 2C now and then isn't too bad. I wonder where some of you guys get their "facts" from.

The second link in the first post is a link to one, I'm just wondering if it's compatible with LMO batteries
Sure, just use the Li-Po function which uses exactly the same charging algorithm as Li-ion.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Sony VTC5. And again, I understand the consequences of fast charging, this is only for rare occasions

Hey gofastMan, are you sure sony vtc5's are 4 amp charge rate, I'd be interested to see where you found that spec. From what I've seen they are 1c max charge Rate which would be 2.6 amps. 2 amps would probably charge them in a half hour. I can't see needing more than that.

1c -http://m.alibaba.com/product/1698285713/30a_Discharge_Vtc5_18650_Battery_2600mah/specifications.html

4 c would be pretty crazy that would be 10.4 amps, that battery would probably melt down. Just sayin'

Last edited:

gofastman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
MN
Hey gofastMan, are you sure sony vtc5's are 4 amp charge rate, I'd be interested to see where you found that spec. From what I've seen they are 1c max charge Rate which would be 2.6 amps. 2 amps would probably charge them in a half hour. I can't see needing more than that.

1c -http://m.alibaba.com/product/1698285713/30a_Discharge_Vtc5_18650_Battery_2600mah/specifications.html

4 c would be pretty crazy that would be 10.4 amps, that battery would probably melt down. Just sayin'
I read that spec in the Sony data sheet, which I can't find now, but here is one site that will vouch for that number
sony us18650vtc5 30a discharge li-ion power cell 3.6v 2600mah

gofastman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
MN
You saw Specs Right from sony; wow those are pretty impressive if they can handle that... 2 amps should be pretty quick for you though..

That gens ace you linked in the op was pretty sweet man. Wonder how much that costs... 150?
$45 :toast: if they ever get them back in stock...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread