Status
Not open for further replies.

pkj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2010
Paula in Arizona
FDA advisory panel says removal of menthol cigarettes would benefit public health | StarTribune.com
FDA advisory panel says removal of menthol cigarettes would benefit public health

Associated Press
Last update: March 18, 2011 - 9:44 AM

RICHMOND, Va. - A Food and Drug Administration advisory panel said Friday that the removal of menthol cigarettes from the U.S. market would benefit public health.
The agency's tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee said at meeting in Silver Spring, Md., that the minty smokes hurt public health and offer no benefits. It was unclear whether the panel is recommending an outright ban of the cigarettes that are a key area for growth in the shrinking cigarette market.

Many panels like the tobacco committee advise the FDA on scientific issues. The agency doesn't have to follow their recommendations but usually does. There is no timeline for the FDA to take action.

While the panel said menthol smokers are not likely to be at a higher risk of disease or exposed to a greater number of toxins, menthol cigarettes make it more likely for certain groups like youth and African Americans to experiment with smoking and make it harder for them to quit. It also said menthol cigarettes increase the prevalence of smoking.

The panel also said that there are gaps in understanding of menthol cigarettes that should be addressed with further research, and said the federal agency should develop a program to monitor the marketing of menthol cigarettes. It also suggested that should the FDA choose to recommend a ban or other restrictions, the agency should study the potential for contraband menthol cigarettes.
A menthol ban or other restrictions on the flavored cigarettes would fall heavily on Lorillard Inc., whose Newport brand is the top-selling menthol cigarette in the U.S., with roughly 35 percent of the market.

Lorillard, the country's third-largest tobacco company, is based in Greensboro, N.C.
Lorillard did not provide immediate comment.

Lawrence Deyton, director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products, signaled a ban is not a sure thing. "I need to be very clear. ... The report does not set FDA policy, does not set FDA actions," Deyton said. "Receipt of the final report will not have direct, immediate effect on the availability of menthol products."

Draft chapters of the FDA panel's report also say menthol cigarettes may not be more risky, but their use is highest among minorities, teenagers and low-income people.
There's evidence consumers perceive that menthol cigarettes offer some form of health protection or medicinal benefit that non-menthol cigarettes don't, according to the drafts. That report says menthols are disproportionately marketed to African Americans and younger smokers.
The report due to the FDA next Wednesday was mandated under the 2009 law giving the agency the authority to regulate tobacco. The FDA can't ban nicotine or tobacco, but it can limit what goes into tobacco products, require the ingredients be publicized and limit marketing, especially to young people.

Meanwhile, a tobacco industry report to the FDA acknowledges that "all cigarettes are hazardous to health" but says there's no scientific basis for regulating menthols differently. The industry report concludes that menthol cigarettes don't make it easier for people to start smoking or harder for them to quit or raise their risk of disease. It also asserts a ban on menthol would lead to more contraband smokes.

Lorillard and Reynolds American Inc., which is based in Winston-Salem, N.C., and owns the nation's second-largest tobacco company, R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., maker of Camel and Pall Mall brand cigarettes, have asked a federal court to stop the FDA from relying on the advisory panel's recommendations. The tobacco companies claim members of the FDA panel have financial conflicts of interest and are biased.

Altria Group Inc., the owner of nation's biggest cigarette maker, Marlboro maker Philip Morris USA, plans to submit separate menthol findings and recommendations to the FDA. Altria, based in Richmond, Va., was the only major U.S. tobacco company to support FDA regulation.

Pez

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Last edited:

trailblazer6

A.K.A. Igor the Vapaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Lakewood , NJ
www.bikerornot.com
Just saw a Blurp scroll by about a half hour ago on CNN. About this subject. My thought was "Are they Nut's ?" After a little research I see this going nowhere fast. Big Tobacco will fight this and even the Antis don't want to touch this as this could be akin to kicking a fresh turd on a hot summer day. Some things you just don't do because of the consequences.

Last edited:

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
Just wow! I am constantly amazed at the idiocy of the FDA about smoking. They might as well say "They're not riskier, but the people who smoke them have less of a chance of hiring lobbyists or fighting back in any way." And do they really think that people will stop smoking rather than just switching to regular instead of menthol? When I smoked I smoked menthols, but if I was out I would bum a regular if that was all I could get, but I had tons of people ask to bum a cig off of me and when I told them it was menthol they didn't want them. Most menthol smokers will just complain about the taste of regulars and keep smoking rather than quit. Plus it's plenty easy to get stuff to spray on regulars to make them taste like just about any flavor you can think of including menthol.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Plus those flavors are attractive to children. I suggest the only alcohol they allow marketed is Scotch. I don't think any kid would drink if that was the only liquor available, most adults can't stand it. Then again, there are always those rebellious youth that just won't buy anything the man (parents and adults) tells them and peer pressure does effect decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread