FDA FDA/NIH funded junk e-cig gateway study touted by JAMA intended to promote FDA e-cig ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
FDA/NIH funded junk study published/hyped by JAMA falsely insinuates e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes and OTP to confuse, scare and lobby for FDA’s proposal to ban >99.9% of nicotine vapor products on the market.
JAMA Network | JAMA | Association of Electronic Cigarette Use With Initiation of Combustible Tobacco Product Smoking in Early Adolescence

Note that study was coauthored by conflicted former TPSAC Chair Jonathan Samet, purported to study potential gateway effects of e-cigs, but only ask irrelevant questions about “ever use” of e-cigs and “past six month” smoking, then improperly excluded all smokers from the data analysis, and then failed to acknowledge any of overwhelming evidence disproving authors’ assertions.

JAMA invites Adam Leventhal (one of the FDA/NIH funded authors) to further hype terribly designed and irreconcilably biased study that deceitfully insinuated e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes (which the study never found, nor was designed to study).
JAMA Network | JAMA | Electronic Cigarette Use and Smoking During Early Adolescence

JAMA invites Big Pharma funded Nancy Rigotti to misrepresent the evidence, perpetuate the “gateway” lie about e-cigs and promote FDAs’ proposed e-cig ban
JAMA Network | JAMA | e-Cigarette Use and Subsequent Tobacco Use by Adolescents:  New Evidence About a Potential Risk of e-Cigarettes

JAMA touts junk study that falsely insinuates e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes, grossly misrepresents the scientific evidence, demonizes the lifesaving products
JAMA Network | JAMA | Electronic Cigarette Use and Smoking During Early Adolescence

Obama’s NIH promotes terribly designed junk study it (along with FDA) funded and JAMA published falsely insinuating that e-cigarettes are gateways to cigarette and OTP smoking, promotes NIDA’s false fear mongering claims about e-cigarettes and nicotine
http://www.nih.gov/news/health/aug2015/nida-18.htm
Teens using e-cigarettes may be more likely to start smoking tobacco | EurekAlert! Science News

Big Pharma financed CTFK’s Matt Myers further misrepresents JAMA junk study on e-cigs to confuse, scare and lobby for FDA’s proposed e-cig ban
Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

MSA financed Legacy Foundation (which urged FDA to ban e-cigs in 2009) promotes FDA/NIH funded e-cig junk study in JAMA, announces name change to Truth Initiative despite its many false and misleading claims about e-cigs, smokeless tobacco, industry marketing practices, and FDA’s proposal to ban >99.9% of nicotine e-cigs
New JAMA Study Heightens Public Health Community’s Concerns with Youth E-Cigarette Use - American Legacy Foundation

Big Pharma financed CTFK touts Legacy’s so-called Truth ad that Lies about flavored OTP to lobby for FDA proposal to ban >99.9% of e-cigs and many OTP
New truth® Ad: Don’t Get Played by Flavored Tobacco Products - Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
FDA/NIH funded junk e-cig study in JAMA falsely claiming e-cigs are gateways to cigarettes deceives dozens of lazy stupid news reporters and editors to repeat false fear mongering claims and promote FDA’s proposal to ban >99.9% of nicotine e-cigs

Study Finds Ninth-Graders Who Used E-Cigarettes More Likely to Smoke - WSJ

Teens who vape e-cigarettes turning to tobacco, USC researchers find

Study: E-cigs a gateway to smoking tobacco | TheHill

Teens who try e-cigarettes more likely to start smoking: study| Reuters

E-Cigs May Spur Teens to Try Smoking: Study

Advocates say study fuels push for FDA e-cigarette regulation - Modern Healthcare

Teens' e-cigarette use linked with later smoking | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

Teens Who Use E-Cigs Are More Likely to Start Smoking, Study Says

Researchers claim electronic cigarettes "gateway" to real smoking but experts unsure - CBS News

E-cigarette use may lead to conventional smoking in teens, study finds - Medical News Today

Study: Link Between E-cigarettes, Smoking in Youth | Al Jazeera America

Teen e-cig users more likely to smoke tobacco | Science News

How E-Cigs Could Be a Gateway | dailyRx

Study: Vaping May be Gateway to Tobacco for Teens | Medpage Today

E-cigarettes can help people quit smoking but may be gateway for non-smokers, studies suggest - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

E-Cigarettes Could Serve as Gateway to Traditional Tobacco Products - California Healthline

Teenagers who use e-cigarettes ARE more likely to start smoking tobacco | Daily Mail Online

E-cigarette is ‘95% less harmful’ but may encourage teenage smoking, conflicting studies suggest — RT News

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Excellent Commentaries on FDA/NIH funded junk e-cig study in JAMA

Clive Bates: JAMA paper finds some adolescents experiment with stuff – so what?
JAMA paper finds some adolescents experiment with stuff – so what? « The counterfactual

Konstantinos Farsalinos: A new study finding e-cigarettes are gateway to smoking? Not really
A new study finding e-cigarettes are gateway to smoking? Not really

Mike Siegel: According to Campaign for tobacco Free Kids, new study suggests e-cigs are gateways to smoking
The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: According to Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, New Study Suggests E-Cigs are a Gateway to Smoking

Linda Bauld – Young people and e-cigarettes: what we know so far
Young people and e-cigarettes: what we know so far

Also

NPR repeats fear mongering claims in JAMA junk study, interviews conflicted former TPSAC Chair Jonathan Samet (who was funded by FDA/NIH to conduct the terribly designed study to lobby for FDA’s proposed e-cig ban) and AVA’s Greg Conley (who provided objective and accurate information about e-cigs).
AirTalk | Kids who vape 4x more likely to smoke tobacco, according to new JAMA study | 89.3 KPCC

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Although some of this crap from JAMA, news stories and excellent commentaries (exposing the study's many flaws, and refuting its fear mongering insinuations) appear on other ECF threads, I'm creating this thread to organize all the documents, expose that this FDA/NIH junk study was intended to lobby for FDA's proposed e-cig ban (not to study potential gateway effects of e-cig), and to make it easier for future searches on ECF.

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Can an admin please delete my duplicate thread postings of this same thread.
The first five times I tried to create the thread, nothing happened (or so I thought), so I tried again and again until I was notified that the thread had been posted.
I don't know how to delete a thread.

Reactions: JC Okie

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Can an admin please delete my duplicate thread postings of this same thread.
The first five times I tried to create the thread, nothing happened (or so I thought), so I tried again and again until I was notified that the thread had been posted.
I don't know how to delete a thread.

Bill the more you post the better off we are. Your posts are very informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread