Status
Not open for further replies.

CFreeAngie

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2017
Tucson, Az.
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
With all the news about the FDA loosening it's chokehold on e-cigarettes. I have been reading and it makes me wonder; IF the FDA considers E-cigarettes to be tobacco products because they contain nicotine, why are they not forcing the same regulations onto patches, lozenges and gum? Does anyone have more information? or comments?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
With all the news about the FDA loosening it's chokehold on e-cigarettes. I have been reading and it makes me wonder; IF the FDA considers E-cigarettes to be tobacco products because they contain nicotine, why are they not forcing the same regulations onto patches, lozenges and gum? Does anyone have more information? or comments?
Those are FDA approved medical devices to stop smoking. Vaping isn't

CFreeAngie

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2017
Tucson, Az.
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
Exactly!...but why? How do they justify the difference?
If their main argument is that e-cigarettes contain nicotine which is derived from tobacco. Patches and the others do as well. I am just opening this up for debate for the sake of conversation, knowing that there really is no simple answer.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Pharmaceutical companies paid for the testing on the patches, gum etc with the intent of cleaning up on them. They aren't cheap.

Those companies can't control vape equipment and e-liquid so they won't do the research and testing needed to get approval as medical device.

There is simply no room to make a lot of money for them on vaping. You can roll your own coils, make your own juice. That doesn't leave them with a stream of cash

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Pharmaceutical companies paid for the testing on the patches, gum etc with the intent of cleaning up on them. They aren't cheap.

Those companies can't control vape equipment and e-liquid so they won't do the research and testing needed to get approval as medical device.

There is simply no room to make a lot of money for them on vaping. You can roll your own coils, make your own juice. That doesn't leave them with a stream of cash

So the FDA gave them (BT/BP) another 5 years to let the market grow and consolidate before they (BT/BP) step in and take over the vape industry.

Cheers
I

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
On this note, I was charged a tobacco use fee from My oncologist because I vape, Would I be charged that for using a nicotine gum? or lozenge? and if not WHY?
I told my new doc I quit smoking three years ago then made the mistake of saying I did that by switching to vaping. He added vaping to my medical record and is bugging me to stop vapinng. If I'd known he would do that I wouldn't have mentioned it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Exactly!...but why? How do they justify the difference?
If their main argument is that e-cigarettes contain nicotine which is derived from tobacco. Patches and the others do as well. I am just opening this up for debate for the sake of conversation, knowing that there really is no simple answer.

In the eyes of the FDA, it Isn't that Both contain Nicotine that was Derived from Tobacco. So they are the Same.

It is One is making a Medical/Health Claim (the Patch) and one is the Recreational Use of "Tobacco" (e-Cigarettes).

Now Both can be Equally Effective in helping a person quit smoking. In fact, e-Cigarettes may/can be More Effective in someone quitting. And they Both can/are "Safer" to use than Smoking.

But If I, as an OEM, want to say that an e-Cigarettes can Help you Quit/Safer than Smoking, I need to Back Up my Claim by jumping into the FDA's Rabbit Hole/Money Pit.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I told my new doc I quit smoking three years ago then made the mistake of saying I did that by switching to vaping. He added vaping to my medical record and is bugging me to stop vapinng. If I'd known he would do that I wouldn't have mentioned it.
I recently had my annual DOT physical. During check-in I marked smoker on the form. Dual user. During my interview I was asked how much I smoke. I answered, had one yesterday, had one 3-4 days before that and 2 or 3 a few days before that, I vape.
After the physical I checked the paperwork and saw that she had marked my status as "ex-smoker converted to e-cig". Cool!:thumb:

CFreeAngie

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2017
Tucson, Az.
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
I recently had my annual DOT physical. During check-in I marked smoker on the form. Dual user. During my interview I was asked how much I smoke. I answered, had one yesterday, had one 3-4 days before that and 2 or 3 a few days before that, I vape.
After the physical I checked the paperwork and saw that she had marked my status as "ex-smoker converted to e-cig". Cool!:thumb:
That is awesome! I wish this kind of recognition would spread!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
That is awesome! I wish this kind of recognition would spread!
I could have said I don't smoke. It's been long enough. I mentioned it because I wanted to promote the idea that vaping is a good thing. That didn't work. What docs know about is the illnesses they treat. They don't know much about vaping because they aren't treating illnesses caused by vaping.

CFreeAngie

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2017
Tucson, Az.
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
I could have said I don't smoke. It's been long enough. I mentioned it because I wanted to promote the idea that vaping is a good thing. That didn't work. What docs know about is the illnesses they treat. They don't know much about vaping because they aren't treating illnesses caused by vaping.
Me too, I had originally said that I was an ex smoker, and when she asked again for some reason, I said I vape. that's when she put that charge in.

Reactions: Foggy Road

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler

I had one start that and I said "you haven't heard anything about me dragging a doctor out in the street have you" she now has a nurse sit in with us, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread