Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
FDA's Comprehensive Plan for Tobacco and Nicotine Regulation

This was just released today......

Today, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., and CTP Director Mitch Zeller co-authored “Advancing tobacco Regulation to Protect Children and Families: Updates and New Initiatives from the FDA on the Anniversary of the tobacco Control Act and FDA’s Comprehensive Plan for Nicotine,” a new post on the FDA Voice blog.

The post announces several new initiatives and efforts under FDA’s Comprehensive Plan for Nicotine and Tobacco Regulation, which was unveiled one year ago. Efforts that are further outlined in the blog include, but are not limited to:
To learn more about these new initiatives, as well as review many of the Comprehensive Plan’s milestones of the last year, read today’s blog post.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    ...and (D) Dick Durbin just filed this bill:
    S.3319 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): A bill to impose additional restrictions on tobacco flavors for use in e-cigarettes.
    I wonder if congress will try to bypass the FDA.
    Do they have to pass it before we can find out what's in it?
    As of 08/03/2018 text has not been received for S.3319

I will continue to stock up and plan for the worst, which may happen sooner, if the November election changes things.
    What, you aren't finished yet? :eek:

• Agree
    Reactions: puffon

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2009
    The text of Durbin's bill has been posted. It bans the sale of all flavored vapor, smokeless tobacco, pipe tobacco and cigars, but exempts menthol cigarettes (which are the only truly harmful flavored tobacco products).

The bill has zero chance of passage this session. But since CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA, AAP and Legacy did NOT submit comments to FDA on its ANPRM to ban some (but not all) flavorings in all tobacco products, it appears those groups have decided to lobby for the Durbin bill instead.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    The text of Durbin's bill has been posted.
    Interesting:

“(ii) EXCEPTIONS.—An electronic nicotine delivery system component or part shall not contain or use an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco) that is a characterizing flavor of the product or its aerosol unless the Secretary issues an order finding that a manufacturer has demonstrated that use of the characterizing flavor—

“(I) will increase the likelihood of smoking cessation among current users of tobacco products;

(II) will not increase the likelihood of youth initiation of nicotine or tobacco products; and

“(III) will not increase the likelihood of harm to the person using the characterizing flavor.”.

So if someone made a "smart device", say one that has Bluetooth, and only worked within a few feet of a phone that it had been paired with, and that phone had to have an app on it that verified its owner's age somehow, then that company would probably be allowed to sell flavored vapes..

Guess who has already announced that they are working on such a thing and plans to test-market it outside the US before the end of the year?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Interesting:

“(ii) EXCEPTIONS.—An electronic nicotine delivery system component or part shall not contain or use an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco) that is a characterizing flavor of the product or its aerosol unless the Secretary issues an order finding that a manufacturer has demonstrated that use of the characterizing flavor—

“(I) will increase the likelihood of smoking cessation among current users of tobacco products;

(II) will not increase the likelihood of youth initiation of nicotine or tobacco products; and

“(III) will not increase the likelihood of harm to the person using the characterizing flavor.”.

So if someone made a "smart device", say one that has Bluetooth, and only worked within a few feet of a phone that it had been paired with, and that phone had to have an app on it that verified its owner's age somehow, then that company would probably be allowed to sell flavored vapes..

Guess who has already announced that they are working on such a thing and plans to test-market it outside the US before the end of the year?

Do ever stop and look at things and wonder... "How Did We Get Here?"

I'm mean, a Bluetooth enabled e-Cigarette that is paired to a Smart Phone which then connects to the Internet via an Age Verification app just so an Adult can Vape a Raspberry e-Liquid?

Seriously? Did we Lose a War or Something?

LOL

BTW - I hope that Age Verification app does a better job of Verifying my age then the 2nd to last place I tried to buy Nicotine Base from. If your Age app fails, what do you do? Send a Photo Copy of your DL to JUUL?

BTW2 - What would be the Statutory Criteria for the Secretary to grant an Exemption to the Characterized Flavor Ban? Or is "Demonstration" another one of those arbitrary ways for a Government Agency to say "If we Feel Like it"?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Everyone knows where this is headed eventually. So it is a good thing that these agencies move at glacial speed and everything takes years to for them to do.

What they eventually want is a closed system where you can only get items with tax stamps on them. Too much money left on the table for them to not grab it.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I just think back fondly to vaping on a plane and the stewardess being too confused to be able to tell me to knock it off. Etc.

I also agree that (given our society today) these things are sort of moving at a glacial pace IN comparison to vaping's success, and I do believe vaping's greatest problem is that it WORKS, and enough to draw the attention of governments and some are saner than others about it.

However, I also felt that vaping's demise is its biggest success, and harm reduction is being achieved. I hate to see smokers penalized they kind of go through enough already. I do think the somewhat glacial pace is (in the USA) really just sort of turning the water on for the frog, and waiting as protests die down and etc.

The changes vaping will undergo may not be as severe as *I* hope but for certain, they will be there. I'm just kind of happy to have been around for much of it. Etc.

I don't really blame any vaper for it or class of vapers, it was simply inevitable. Etc. I hope mod makers continue to try and find novel ways to circumvent the issue, frankly.

I don't want ANYONE to have to vape out of closed pod systems unless they WANT to, although it will still be better than tobacco. It will STILL penalize vapers with a "sin and health" tax, despite multiple studies showing so far that there is no sin or no health tax needed.

It is what it is. I have plenty of nice things to vape with. I hope that never changes.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread