Not open for further replies.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on new enforcement actions and a Youth Tobacco Prevention Plan to stop youth use of, and access to, JUUL and other e-cigarettes

• FDA cites 40 retailers for violations related to youth sales of juul e-cigarettes
  • Agency announces a new blitz of retail establishments targeting youth sale violations
  • Agency takes new action to examine youth appeal of juul
  • Agency takes steps to foreclose online sales of juul to minors
  • These are the first steps in a new effort aimed at stopping youth use of e-cigarettes

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Yeah... But it Plays well in the Press.

And helps Quell those on The Hill that have been having a Hissy Fit lately.

Yep. If they want to fine a few gas stations and convenience stores for selling Juuls to minors, I say go for it. They could be doing so much worse.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yep. If they want to fine a few gas stations and convenience stores for selling Juuls to minors, I say go for it. They could be doing so much worse.

Yeah... If you want to sell e-Cigarettes, just ask for a Valid ID.

How Hard is that?

Aescwynn

Apr 18, 2018
Atlanta
"In yet another action, the FDA said it has asked the maker of Juul products for documents that could help explain why kids find the products so appealing.

"We don't yet fully understand why these products are so popular among youth. But it's imperative that we figure it out, and fast. These documents may help us get there," Gottlieb said."

FDA Cracks Down on Youth Access to Juul E-Cigarettes

Sounds to me as if he's hoping to find a smoking gun a la Big Tobacco and the Joe Camel campaign of the 1980's (which was most definitely targeted at the teenage population, or even younger, despite RJR's repeated claims to the opposite.) Like he's hoping to find some nefarious memo where Juullab's executives clearly lay out how their future lies in getting kids hooked on their product.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
"In yet another action, the FDA said it has asked the maker of Juul products for documents that could help explain why kids find the products so appealing.

"We don't yet fully understand why these products are so popular among youth. But it's imperative that we figure it out, and fast. These documents may help us get there," Gottlieb said."

FDA Cracks Down on Youth Access to Juul E-Cigarettes

Sounds to me as if he's hoping to find a smoking gun a la Big Tobacco and the Joe Camel campaign of the 1980's (which was most definitely targeted at the teenage population, or even younger, despite RJR's repeated claims to the opposite.) Like he's hoping to find some nefarious memo where Juullab's executives clearly lay out how their future lies in getting kids hooked on their product.

They aren't going to find anything from Juul labs (formerly Pax labs).. they arent admitting the problem..

The problem is that some kids want what's "bad".. and at the moment there is nothing worse according to media than the Juul.

The more attention politicians and media give to this "epidemic" of kids getting hooked on this blight on our youth called Juul (sarcasm intended) the more desperately kids will want to buy it..

It's reverse psychology at its finest really, every parent knows how to get kids to do what you want is to tell them you don't want them to..

Nothing like a self created epidemic... they (politicians and media) planted the seeds, and the seeds grew. duh.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Awareness campaigns are more beneficial than vilification. But there's so much misinformation out there that even the awareness campaigns become "refer madness" upgraded for the new millennium.

The best thing is to tell them that it's addictive and effects are unknown. Best thing to inhale is clean air, etc. Offering zero nic stuff.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm really glad I'm not Juul right now.

I also fail to see how one particular maker getting "selected" by the kids to use and being vilified really helps. HONESTLY? They'd be better off asking the KIDS why they like the device.

C'mon we all know why they like it, it's probably the best way to get a "nic buzz" for the nic naïve. Also, I fail to see why this is Juul's fault, exactly.

But, que serra, I guess.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Also, I fail to see why this is Juul's fault, exactly.
Right! Juul doesn't do any of the, "this is obviously aimed at children" stuff that the rest of the industry has been vilified for. They don't use brightly colored cartoonish labels or marketing material, nor do they make flavors like "bubble gum", "cotton candy", "gummy bear" or "fruity loops". It's also pretty much impossible to do vape tricks with a Juul, 'cause there simply isn't much vapor to be had.

Perhaps we could now get the ANTZ to admit that that the "obviously aimed at children" stuff really isn't, or at least that it doesn't work, so it doesn't matter?

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Right! Juul doesn't do any of the, "this is obviously aimed at children" stuff that the rest of the industry has been vilified for. They don't use brightly colored cartoonish labels or marketing material, nor do they make flavors like "bubble gum", "cotton candy", "gummy bear" or "fruity loops". It's also pretty much impossible to do vape tricks with a Juul, 'cause there simply isn't much vapor to be had.

Perhaps we could now get the ANTZ to admit that that the "obviously aimed at children" stuff really isn't, or at least that it doesn't work, so it doesn't matter?

David Sweanor said "With the effort to deal with the hysteria being created by supposed health groups about youth, JUUL is like a football player who is trying to evade a tackle by someone he thought was on his team so he can try to score a touchdown.”

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
David Sweanor said "With the effort to deal with the hysteria being created by supposed health groups about youth, JUUL is like a football player who is trying to evade a tackle by someone he thought was on his team so he can try to score a touchdown.”

Not to start a new debate, but that also describes David Sweanor at one point in time. It appears he has changed. Which is good. How far, I'm not certain.

Professor Warns War On E-Cigarettes Protects Big Tobacco And Kills Smokers

Adjunct professor of law at the University of Ottowa and special lecturer with the division of epidemiology and public health at the University of Nottingham, David Sweanor spent more than 30 years fighting tobacco. He was even a pivotal force in persuading the Canadian government to introduce bans on cigarette advertising, higher taxes and smoke-free public places.

But now, Sweanor has split from many in the anti-smoking movement because he supports e-cigarettes.

Professor Warns War On E-Cigarettes Protects Big Tobacco And Kills Smokers Read more:

He and others reject the idea that a private business owner has private property rights and should be able to choose to be smoking or non-smoking or a combination of the two. Sweanor 'knows' better. He was part of the demonization that is now plaguing the vaping industry.

Am I glad he's pro-ecig? - sure. In the way I was "glad" that the butcher Stalin was on our side in WWII.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Am I glad he's pro-ecig? - sure. In the way I was "glad" that the butcher Stalin was on our side in WWII.
This applies to several other "allies" of ours as well. I'm glad they're advocating for vaping now, but due to their lies about the dangers of second-hand smoke, I will never really trust them, nor can I forgive them for their previous demands that the power of the state be used to push us out behind the dumpster and tax us into the poor house.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Gottlieb just gave JUUL about $1 Billion in free advertising after the vapor prohibitionists AAP, Legacy, CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA and their Congressional Democrat allies gave JUUL several billion dollars in free advertising during the past 5 months (by generating lots of anti-JUUL news stories).

The similarly clueless idiots in the news media also don't realize that their many news stories about JUUL have encouraged even more smokers (including teen smokers) to buy, try and switch to JUUL.

And if the absurd claims in the news media demonizing JUUL prove to be true (no actual evidence of that yet), then JUUL would have caused youth cigarette smoking to drop to even new record lows, which is great news for public health.

But now, Sweanor has split from many in the anti-smoking movement because he supports e-cigarettes.

Professor Warns War On E-Cigarettes Protects Big Tobacco And Kills Smokers Read more:

Sweanor (who has been a close friend and colleague for the past 30 years) and I split from the tobacco control movement 15 years ago because it lied about and was trying to ban the sales and use of very low risk smokefree alternatives.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Gottlieb just gave JUUL about $1 Billion in free advertising after the vapor prohibitionists AAP, Legacy, CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA and their Congressional Democrat allies gave JUUL several billion dollars in free advertising during the past 5 months (by generating lots of anti-JUUL news stories).

The similarly clueless idiots in the news media also don't realize that their many news stories about JUUL have encouraged even more smokers (including teen smokers) to buy, try and switch to JUUL.
Yep. What got me interested 4-1/2 years ago was the media's constant lamentation then, that the FDA wasn't doing its job, because they hadn't begun regulating e-cigs.

And if the absurd claims in the news media demonizing JUUL prove to be true (no actual evidence of that yet), then JUUL would have caused youth cigarette smoking to drop to even new record lows, which is great news for public health.
Wait, I thought youth smoking keeps setting new records lows every year?

• Agree

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Requiring the showing of a picture ID would curtail most of the teen activity with vaping. Some enterprising teens might have access to software that enables them to create fake ID's, especially with the availability of cheap lamination packs available at Walmart.

Requiring a driver's license would stop most of it. Those are kind of hard to duplicate accurately with all the hologram images and faint shades of color.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread