Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Feedback:
Joseph Collins of Hudson Valley Vapor was purchasing a Provari 2.5 from me this past weekend. We negotiated a price plus shipping.

The Buyer sent payment via PayPal but informed me that he had problems with his account and mistakenly sent the payment twice.

I received a notice that the payments were pending due to an inquiry into the account.

During this time the Buyer Joseph Collins contacted me asking for a refund because he “found something better and less expensive”. So he reneged on the deal.

I refunded him the total of his payments minus the PayPal fee I had to pay for the initial transaction which was about $6.80. But much to my chagrin his payments are still pending so I’m out $213 unless he returns it.

Today I received an email notification from PayPal that Mr Collins has disputed the charges saying the Items Were Not Received.

I was requested to Refund the money to settle the dispute. I’ve been in contact with PayPal Resolution Center detailing this entire transaction. I will be reporting him as fraud to PayPal. My refund is pending because I fortunately didn’t transfer money from my bank account into my PayPal account. However PayPal won’t cancel it because I used Family and Friends.

I’m not sure if this guy is just a jerk for reneging on a deal or a scammer but I would not do any business with him or Hudson Valley Vapor.

Last edited:

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hell, I hope so too. I just want my 220$ back. I'm guessing the OP is inexperienced with paypal transactions. Paypal doesn't keep fees for refunded orders. But just for kicks, here's the last message I sent to her -

"I’m not sure why you felt you needed to dispute the transactions since I had already refunded your money sent including the duplicate payment."
Perhaps you didn't see the previous message I sent you -
"I'm not sure why doing that. I'm going to file a dispute case. If someone does that it gives you the option to refund. Maybe doing it that way itd go through?"
Clearly there was an issue with the refunding. I figured by doing it through the resolution center it may have worked without pending.

Either way, I just want my money back. All of it. No more, no less. Feel free to make a feedback report and/or escalate. I've got nothing to hide.

First, dragging your feet for some reason - perhaps to see if someone would bite for the full amount you initially wanted(?), then the BS with paypal [admittedly not your fault, just added to the bs], then you requested MORE money than you initially said due to fees. Like.......? Who doesn't know about paypal fees? And who would expect someone to send money as family as friends when you don't know the other person? You should have factored that in prior. It honestly seemed kind of scammy from my end. Oh yeah, also you requested MORE than it would take to ship it. Those last 2 are the real kickers. 10$ for priority shipping?! pfft

Hun, I ship out tons of packages all the time. Priority flat rate boxes are 7.90. It costs even less if you go by weight and you're in the same time zone as the other person. Hell, I'd have been fine with regular shipping. paypal fees are like 2% plus 30 cents per transaction..on 110$ that's what? Like 2.10? Minus the 7.90...you would have ended up with damn near 100$ even. But anyway..

So..yeah, go for it. Make a thread about it. We can post our entire chat and let other members decide what's what. I like that idea. In any case, I really don't give a ..... I don't come on here at all really anymore.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At any rate, I'll be getting the full amount I sent back. ALL OF IT. ****NO MORE, NO LESS****, as I said in my latest reply. Honestly the whole 'requesting more than you initially did due to fees, as well as requesting more than it actually costs to ship the mod' came off as scammy on my end, and that's half the reason I backed out. [The other half of the reason was what I said in the pm's - there is another place I'm going to get one.]

Oh...and p.s. HVV is a dead company, heh, so no worries there.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The real story... and people on here have known me for years to be an honest person.. and yes somewhat inexperienced in selling and buying but without any incident to date with honest buyers & sellers.

E45B89C1-ED4B-44BC-896D-3B4DD6EC6123.png
8344C4C8-8343-4D77-904A-8E07108DD829.png
01D7C325-89F5-46B9-9729-7D41A939EBA3.png
74768663-7401-44B8-B5EB-FF769EB08241.png
9F4A888A-EDBB-4405-B771-D8B683EC0DD3.png
4A307C17-0757-45BD-8D7E-3C7F0B72F02E.png

here’s a screen shot from PayPal dated 1/21 that still shows his payments have not cleared into my account and are still Pending!!! There have been no update since then.
531DAE8C-4488-45E2-A68D-24B3A68D986C.jpeg

And a screenshot of my attempt to send him back his payments regardless that his payments haven’t cleared and are still pending...

A4DF0C61-4E12-4F57-93EF-59E0CCAA5F5D.png

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the OP is inexperienced with paypal transactions. Paypal doesn't keep fees for refunded orders.

And did you take the time to explain that? Would it not be beneficial for all parties involved to educate those who may not fully understand the workings of PayPal? You made the error and paid twice, you could have exercised a little patience and worked toward a resolution. It is not the sellers fault you made this error. I also do not understand your comments on shipping. If $110 was agreed which includes shipping, it does not matter if shipping costs $7 or $700, you agreed on the price.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hope this works out in your favor Sara, I know you to be an honest trader from experience.

I just spoke with customer service and they will get back to me. Thanks

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Punk In Drublic a phone call will go a long way to both resolve the issues here and also to fill in some of the missing bits of PayPal law going forward.

Sara is a very trustworthy person and I would certainly do business with her in a moment.

Sara...just noticed that you phoned....good luck.....it'll work out. Don't worry :wub:

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just an update-
I've still not received neither the refund which Fidola supposedly sent via a repayment as friends and family[?] for less than the amount I originally sent, nor have I received a refund via the refund option found on each transaction page. Currently both cases are under paypal review.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just spoke with customer service and they will get back to me. Thanks
Just so you're well informed, as you seem to be a bit inexperienced with paypal; Under each transaction- which can be found on the list of your summary page, there is an option to refund found about half way down the page in the transaction details section. In the future if you ever need to, this is the method in which you can and should refund a payment. As you said before, sending someone a payment back via friends and family can potentially create a situation where you can be scammed.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this method is still available to you on the transaction pages with the money I sent you. If it is, I'd appreciate a refund for both 110$ payments I sent. At this point you've accused me of being a scammer, despite having no evidence to support the claim. I'm not hurting for money, though I would very much appreciate getting a refund for both payments. I imagine I'll be getting them back by Feb 6th anyway - the date which paypal says they'll settle the 2 open cases by. However, it wouldn't look too good on your part to just let the clock run out - this could have happened to someone who doesn't have the extra money. Just throwing that out there.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point you've accused me of being a scammer, despite having no evidence to support the claim.

I have no dog in this fight, but from a 3rd person perspective, can you blame @Fidola13 for such accusations? You paid twice, error or not that is not normal, especially when you broke the agreement and decided against the sale. I am not going to throw out there who has more experience with buying/selling used goods, but if the funds have been transferred, that to me is a sealed agreement.

You have also dished out your own fair share of accusations with your aggressive response. And why are you using a defunct business name? Do you not think that along with your errors, breaking of an agreement and accusations is enough to raise suspicion? I certainly do.

You may not be a scammer, but acknowledge that your actions and errors are not promoting the warm and fuzzies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just so you're well informed, as you seem to be a bit inexperienced with paypal; Under each transaction- which can be found on the list of your summary page, there is an option to refund found about half way down the page in the transaction details section. In the future if you ever need to, this is the method in which you can and should refund a payment. As you said before, sending someone a payment back via friends and family can potentially create a situation where you can be scammed.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this method is still available to you on the transaction pages with the money I sent you. If it is, I'd appreciate a refund for both 110$ payments I sent. At this point you've accused me of being a scammer, despite having no evidence to support the claim. I'm not hurting for money, though I would very much appreciate getting a refund for both payments. I imagine I'll be getting them back by Feb 6th anyway - the date which paypal says they'll settle the 2 open cases by. However, it wouldn't look too good on your part to just let the clock run out - this could have happened to someone who doesn't have the extra money. Just throwing that out there.

please make your comments through PayPal Resolution Center.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You paid twice, error or not that is not normal, especially when you broke the agreement and decided against the sale. I am not going to throw out there who has more experience with buying/selling used goods, but if the funds have been transferred, that to me is a sealed agreement.

I wouldn't call it normal, so I suppose in that sense I'm inclined to agree with that part. Mistakes do happen though.

I only broke the agreement after she requested the extra money AFTER I sent the funds. Like you said, it was a sealed deal....up to that point. She had already requested more than the actual shipping amount. To me, asking for more money to cover fees after already receiving enough money for shipping to cover both shipping AND fees was a deal killer.

Last edited:

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
please make your comments through PayPal Resolution Center.
Paypal has all the information they need to make a decision. Being self-admittedly not so familiar with paypal, I figured I'd explain to you how to refund prior to paypal's intervention/decision. [Another member asked if I had explained how to refund, and at this point, I have]

Being that you're still refusing to refund, I'm leaving negative feedback for you here

• Disagree
Reactions: Hitcat44

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it normal, so I suppose in that sense I'm inclined to agree with that part. Mistakes do happen though.

I only broke the agreement after she requested the extra money AFTER I sent the funds. Like you said, it was a sealed deal....up to that point. She had already requested more than the actual shipping amount. To me, asking for more money to cover fees after already receiving enough money for shipping to cover both shipping AND fees was a deal killer.

I understand mistakes happen. It’s our actions on how we handle such mistakes that can see to a quick and civil solution.

No comment on the negotiations. Perhaps there was a miscommunication somewhere, or in other words, a mistake! As you have said, they do happen.

@Fidola13 has requested further communication be made through PP resolution center. So I have no further comments.

• Agree
Reactions: Hitcat44

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No comment on the negotiations.
Well heck, you already commented on the negotiations - saying that it was a done deal once I sent payment and that I was the one who broke the agreement. It wasn't. Anything surrounding the deal will be posted here, at least by me. As I said before, paypal has all they need.

Oh, by the way it's a bit off topic, but since you asked; I tried starting HVV maybe 8ish years ago making e-juice. The market was flooded at the time and despite my best efforts I didn't advertise enough to generate enough sales to keep the business as a viable source of income. As a result, I shut it down maybe a year after it started. The name is still attached to my PP account for some reason. It's never been an issue so I just left it there.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Stop making things up. I have the entire conversation if you want me to post it. I was asking $125.00 We agreed on $100 for the mod and $10 for Priority Mail Express.

Your “payment” to me is still Pending. as soon as it’s cleared you can have you money back.

You reneged on an agreed upon transaction why should I pay the fee of abt $3 since you canceled the sale?

DCB00E91-0674-4F53-B980-FB0288CC553A.png
BE70C66D-FCCD-4890-A67C-5807EDD14024.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread