Filling 401 Carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
someone did a video on this - sorry can't remember who (CRS) but use a paperclip push up the filter-holder-deal-thingy thru the hole in cart put in couple drops then push back down w/paperclip- put back on the cap. i just refilled 10 - then seal in little baggies.-
so far it works for me.

That's great! Thanks. I do the same with my 4081 carts, and it works fine. I just didn't have a small enough wire to fit into the 401's. Used a jewelers screwdriver, and it did the trick. thanks again.
jd

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I gave up on cartridges, it was such a hassle. When at home or in my car, I just dip from a shot glass. When I'm at work, or on the go, I drip from a 3ml bottle. I get a strong vapor every hit, and this method lasts almost as long as a cartridge can provide anyway.
The wicks on the first batch of Pilots were small. The new style atomizers have a much wider, thicker wick than the first original ones. They can hold quite a bit more liquid.

Last edited:

Sheamous

May 1, 2009
Arlington TX
I hated M401 carts until I figured out a new trick to loading them from another thread.

This is the idea:

I picked this up in the modifications forum, and it's something I wanted to post here to show that it DOES work on the 510 carts.:)

OMG!

I just modified my 510 cart with a coffee stirrer. I've used poly fiberfill (greenbag/walmart) for several weeks now, and I am pretty efficient at building carts. Not too much - not too little, yada yada yada.

So I take a coffee stirrer (really has two small chambers but allows ample air and they are FLAT on one side). I cut it down to where it is apx. 1.2 milimeters from the lip, angle the bottom cut and set it aside.

Then I make a regular insert with the poly, but leave off a bit to allow for the tiny straw. I insert it...then pull it out apx. 2 milimeters and cut it off with scissors. I work it back in so it is just below the lip (as always), then I take my little straw and using the paperclip work it down along the sidewall. The little straw, btw, is maybe a 1/2 inch to 5/8s long? Pretty small, but perfect fit.

Then I dripped 20 drips EFFORTLESSLY on the poly side, not the straw, into the cart! It would have held more, but I was totally blown away at how it absorbed perfectly.

Then the test. I am using e-smokeytreats vanilla and first of all, the flavor is now perfect. I can't believe how good it tastes. BUT the DRAW is totally AWESOME! Light, smooth, and big vapor that doesn't let up!

I've turbo-charged my 510! This is an awesome, easy to do mod-idea that will blow you away.

Thank you, opusMorian!! You da man!

KreeL

BTW, here is opusMorian's original post:

I came across this when I was doing a USB pass through mod.
The issue is that every time I try to refill, I can only get about 3-4 drops in the cart before it fills to the top. I know the 901 carts with the sponge material can take at least 7 drops. I made a small modification by cutting about 1.5mm off from the bottom of the sponge material, then insert a shrink tube (any straw like material with an hollow center will do). The shrink tube's inside diameter is about the same as a toothpick. With this mod I was able to fill about 7-12 drops before it was full. I am also able to vape longer without refills.

The Idea:
graphic1g.jpg

The Steps:
Cut a length of the straw to the size of the cart chamber minus 1.5mm.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 19KB.
img0973.jpg

We also need to cut a angled slit to expose the cross section of the straw on the bottom.

wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 21KB.
img0975l.jpg

Here is what it looks like in a cart with the sponge material.
wol_error.gif
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 640x480 and weights 37KB.
img0976i.jpg

Been vaping for about a week and it works perfectly!

The original link:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/tips-tricks/11421-cart-mod-better-refilling.html

Then here is how I addapted it to the M401:

I have a Pilot M401, but I'm in the market to get my hands on a manual 510 soon. After looking through the 510 threads, I ran across this and first thought "Man, it must be nice to have carts that big." I then decided to see how much space I had to work with in my M401 and wouldn't you know, one of the small single tube coffee straws fits! I trimmed her up and placed it in the cart after 4 drops of liquid. I then stuffed some poly fill in along the side, but I was careful to cut the straw short and pull some poly fill up over the top. I was then able to get about 6-8 more drops in before it was totally saturated. That’s about 10-12 drops for a tiny M401 cart. It works great! Maccar44, who works at the same office with me, also did it on a DSE901. Very versatile mod guys, thanks! You know it's easy when you can do it on break. :)
On a more M401 note: I have also noticed that by pushing the carts forward a bit in the mouth piece you inhibit juice from slipping out (unvaporized) and down the side of the cart, which results in leakage. Nobady enjoys that. By positioning the cart closer to the atty you vaporize all of the liquid and don't have to worry as much about overfilling, at least on this model.
Thus by improving the position and the pressure of the cart, you end up with perfect wicking and a lot of vapor. My M401 now puts out as much vapor as when I'm straight dripping. Though Maccar still has me beat on cart life, I've increased my carts to last around 45 minutes to an hour; which is awesome for these tiny little guys! Also I don't have to pull up the cart with a paper clip constantly anymore. For about a week this method has been leaving me with bone dry batting, and consistent vapor for about an hour. More should see and try this method.
:evil:I'm feeling like a vape master now!:evil:

Hope this helps! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread