Status
Not open for further replies.

regal55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2013
york,PA
The idea of a circulation pump is high volume high quality, for a mom & pop shop looking to scale up. The filter canister would be large and the extract would cueculate under many passes tell cleaned up. These whatman filter papers don't do a whole lot unless changed frequently, under or over pressure and made multiple passes. Filtering is a complxs science and not as simple as reading the box. I would take a 5 micron poly felt over a a whatman paper any day, 3 microns for one brand is not 3 micron for another, there is marketing involves.

The best filtering for our needs comes from the petroleum industry, research that and you come away with a new perspective. I hate to be blunt but for our purpuses filtering at best is used for drippers unless you have a whole lot of time and patience. But for drippers a 5 micron filter somehow pressed is great for drippers. JMHO.

Edit : fixed grammar from blutooth keyboard

Last edited:

MikeNice81

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2014
NC
I am not a chemical engineer, but I have torture tested more than a few rewicked (cotton wicks) Kanger heads. I have found that home made extracts that are gravity filtered through a 6 micron and then 2.5 micron Ahlstrom filter paper will easily last 4ml (probably longer I just wanted to change flavors) if the wick is properly constructed. The question that has to be asked is, how far are you trying to stretch before rewicking or dry burning? 4ml of juice will last me 1.5 - 2 days if I keep the wattage around 7.0 to 8.0 watts. That isn't hard using a vv/vw device.

I understand people wanting to stretch the coil and wick as far as possible. Just remember, most homes that have their own well are running 5 micron filters. So, once you get down below that, your NET extract is literally better filtered than millions of peoples drinking water. That doesn't mean you want to drink the juice, it just means that we need to balance obsessions.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There's a difference between drinking water and vaping. The only open system in the human body is the digestive system. Bacteria from the mouth to the esophagus to the intestines is not "sterile" for the lack of a better description. Your gut bacteria does not play nice with outside bacterias and will try and kill them. what they miss your immune system goes after. Vaping on the other hand goes into your sterile lungs, and any bacteria will cause a problem, like pneumonia.

So, a bit more filtration is always good.

I am not a chemical engineer, but I have torture tested more than a few rewicked (cotton wicks) Kanger heads. I have found that home made extracts that are gravity filtered through a 6 micron and then 2.5 micron Ahlstrom filter paper will easily last 4ml (probably longer I just wanted to change flavors) if the wick is properly constructed. The question that has to be asked is, how far are you trying to stretch before rewicking or dry burning? 4ml of juice will last me 1.5 - 2 days if I keep the wattage around 7.0 to 8.0 watts. That isn't hard using a vv/vw device.

I understand people wanting to stretch the coil and wick as far as possible. Just remember, most homes that have their own well are running 5 micron filters. So, once you get down below that, your NET extract is literally better filtered than millions of peoples drinking water. That doesn't mean you want to drink the juice, it just means that we need to balance obsessions.

ForeverDiving

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Uruapan, Michoacan, Mexico.
Filtering Net is more about removing undesirable tobacco particles, than it is about creating a coil safe NET solution. ...
...In my opinion, if we want to enjoy NET juice, we have to get use to gunk up coils.

Precisely the reason I only vape my NETs in easy to build drippers (Magmas are my favorites). I change the wick daily and do a thorough dry burn of the coil, usually built with 28ga or twisted 30ga, then brush off the remaining ash until the coil is a shiny steel color. Sometimes also run a pipe cleaner through the coil.

With this method a coil usually lasts me a few weeks, unless I want to try something different and build a fresh one.

BTW, I drip filter my NETs three or four times through unbleached coffee paper filters until ther are clear. If there's some sediment a week or two later (seldom), I decant the liquid and filter again. Never mind, tho, the coils gunk up anyway. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread