Final Free Windows 10 Upgrade Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    So I guess it means if you want to keep Windows 10 after January 1st you will have to pay like MS has done before..............
    If you already have a legit install from the free upgrade, or a legit license, you won't have to pay anything after 2017. If you have a digital license from the free upgrade Microsoft offered for the 1st year Windows 10 was released (And apparently now are still doing), and you decide to swap out motherboards/do a clean install of Windows 10, than you will lose that digital license. Digital licenses from the free upgrade are linked to your system by the motherboard ID, I believe.

• Agree
    Reactions: DaveP

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I am talking about MS deciding you now need to pay like they did with 365..............
    You mean the annual/monthly subscription vs the one-time charge? I wouldn't doubt it. M$ disguising the 'Free Upgrade' and then start charging a subscription fee in order keep on receiving Windows Updates wouldn't surprise me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    If you already have a legit install from the free upgrade, or a legit license, you won't have to pay anything after 2017. If you have a digital license from the free upgrade Microsoft offered for the 1st year Windows 10 was released (And apparently now are still doing), and you decide to swap out motherboards/do a clean install of Windows 10, than you will lose that digital license. Digital licenses from the free upgrade are linked to your system by the motherboard ID, I believe.

Microsoft has traditionally allowed parts swapping as long as it was able to verify the same computer was connected. Motherboards never caused a licensing issue in my experience. I've swapped out motherboard and video card at the same time and my license was fine. The desktop I built from scratch originally had a purchased copy of Windows 8.1 installed and was upgraded early on in the Win 10 rollout.

If you build from scratch, then some version of Windows has to be installed to get running the first time. After that there's a limit as to the number of hardware components you can change at once without falling back to "new computer" status.

Fixing Windows 10 activation problems after a hardware upgrade

How to re-activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

Last edited:
    • Informative
    Reactions: bsidb

Noevay

Moved On
    Mar 23, 2018
    • Deleted by classwife

Noevay

Moved On
    Mar 23, 2018
    • Deleted by classwife

HazyShades

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2015
    Sandbox, USSA
    The problem of computer crash is very easy to solve .
    Another thing is that windows 10 keeps asking the login password on the login screen when booting.. but it seems i never set a password. what happened ?
    and how can I reset the login password without installing system?

i tried many password rset tools like ntpassword, tunesbro, passmoz, ophcrack, but most of them need a usb or DVD to burn a reset disk.

seems all reset methods need USB, DVD and a working computer, right ?
    If you didn't set a log on password
    just leave password field blank

Noevay

Moved On
    Mar 23, 2018
    • Deleted by classwife

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    When this machine quits then my next will be a Linux based laptop. I have run out of steam with Windows. I didn't leave DOS until a certain research software I used no longer supported DOS, left CD's and went all internet. For me, DRDOS with WordStar 5.5 and Lotus 123 was the ultimate, but, I am an old guy and essentially curmudgeonly.
    PS: hoping for an early decision to quit by this Surface Pro.

Last edited:

hoth0

Mar 15, 2018
    Look who's getting linux too!

"
    Microsoft announced on Monday a new technology called Azure Sphere, a new system for securing the tiny processors that power smart appliances, connected toys, and other gadgets.

We'll get to the specifics in a moment, but here's the really notable part: To power Azure Sphere, Microsoft has developed its own, custom version of Linux — the free, open source operating system that Microsoft once considered the single biggest threat to the supremacy of its Windows software.

"After 43 years, this is the first day that we are announcing, and will be distributing, a custom Linux kernel," Microsoft President Brad Smith said on stage at an event in San Francisco."

When this machine quits then my next will be a Linux based laptop. I have run out of steam with Windows. I didn't leave DOS until a certain research software I used no longer supported DOS, left CD's and went all internet. For me, DRDOS with WordStar 5.5 and Lotus 123 was the ultimate, but, I am an old guy and essentially curmudgeonly.
    PS: hoping for an early decision to quit by this Surface Pro.

Reactions: CMD-Ky
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread