Finally got my first! Daughter got me one for my birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
Well after forever and a day, probably close to a year now, I finally got my first ecig. (Notice how I'm a veteran and a newbie, lol.) I had been searching and looking and hunting and debating and finally my daughter got tired of me talking about it and bought me one for my birthday! She got me the Joye 510 manual from eastmall and 6 20 ml bottles of juice.

OK so now I have it, I don't want to ruin it! Before I even took it out of the box I started watching videos on youtube. I attempted to read the directions (which I usually do not, lol) but I did, what I could see of the tiny little printed words and then dripped some juice into the cart and went to smoking it. I was very pleased!! Great vapor production and super easy to hit. I have to admit that I wasn't sure I was going to like it as a ton of the videos I had seen on youtube really looked like people were having to hit it like crazy. Super long draws and it turned out that wasn't the case at all so I was really pleased!

Ok, so as I said I don't want to ruin it and want to get the most out of it as I can, so what's your advice? All take all you have, warn me of the stupid mistakes people make so I can hopefully not make them. :) What should I buy next, accessories that I need and things like that? Oh and does it give you any warning when your battery is going dead and needs changed? I plugged in the other battery it came with, is it ok to leave on charger?

ctourtelot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
Welcome and I'm glad you finally got to take the plunge. Give your daughter a huge hug for that one.

Just a couple of quick tips.

1. Always keep your atomizer wet. If it gets dry, the atomizer will burn and give you a really nasty burnt marshmellow taste that is really harsh on your throat. I recommend adding a drop or two into your cartridge every 20 puffs or so. This is called "topping off" as you'll come across on the forum.

2. When the vapor starts to die down a bit or the flavor weakens, check the cartridge. If the cartridge is well saturated, most likely the battery is getting weak. A dead battery will flash when you activate it rather than just glow.

3. If the draw becomes a bit stiff after awhile, remove the atomizer and blow through the battery end into a papertowel to get rid of any excess juice (this also works if you overfill your cartridge..causing no production and a gurgling sound and/or juice in your mouth)

4. If blowing out the atomizer doesn't help the draw, rinse or soak it in pure grain alcohol or strong, cheap vodka and let it dry.

5. Another cause of tight draw is buildup around the threading. periodically clean the battery and atomizer threading (q-tip with alcohol works or just a damp papertowel, etc.)

6. Both the batteries and atomizers have a limited lifespan (as you know if you'd read the forum for a year lol) so you might want to consider backups for everything.

7. Have fun and enjoy. We're all here to answer any questions you may have.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Nice move getting a manual! The 510 manual batteries are usually totally sealed on the threaded end so you are not going to kill them with a juice drip. And with manuals, you can also get a drip tip and try dripping which is a good way to test samples.

Keep the battery connections clean, and especially check before screwing the battery onto the charger or into a PCC because you don't want to transfer dried juice film to your chargers. You might also want to get a PCC for charging when you are out. This is a very nice one for standard 510 batteries and it does work with manual ones - super roomy PCC:
VPCC Personal Charging Case

For under $1, buy the precut blue foam stuffing for 510 carts at strictlyejuice.com - when a cart's old white stuffing gets old and cranky, try replacing with the blue foam.

Be sure to have spare atomizers. You should have at least 2, preferably 3. The atomizer is the part that is likely to have the shortest lifespan. With a standard 510 you use standard resistance 510 atomizers, not LR (low resistance) which are only for the 650mah+ fat battery models like Ego and Riva. A 510 can also use a standard resistance Joye 306 atomizer (I drip on one with a Joye 306 drip tip).

Cartomizers - I love cartomizers on 510. When you are ready to try some, I am very pleased with the Boge soft-cap ones for 510. I vape my 510 1/2 the time and I can get a month's use out of a Boge carto (which would be 2 weeks if I was only vaping the 510). I mostly use my 510 with cartomizers now - a cartomizer is a disposable combined cart and atomizer that holds more juice than a cart and you don't need to add juice as often.
510 Blank Cartomizers

Last edited:

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
You guys are totally awesome!! Thanks for all the tips! If you have more I'd love to keep hearing them. :)

OK going to go and check out more of MistressNomad's videos. I know I watched these before.... ecigs for broke people caught my attention last time, lol. Plus I need the refresher as like I said, I have been going back and fourth over this for almost a year but I'm very forgetful.:oops: She did a great job on the videos.:toast:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
When you get the precut blue foam, some recommend rinsing it first then pat totally dry. On a full fill you can fill the cart 1/2 way with juice, stick the tapered end of the blue foam in first, push the blue foam down into the juice to wet it. Reposition the top edge of the blue foam at the top edge of the juice cup (an unbent small smooth paperclip is handy). Then top off with 1-3 drops - whatever it needs to look just damp on top, not a puddle. Should vape for a while - just top off when needed and when topping off doesn't help much then it probably is very dry and needs a full fill.

Carts - you should push on and pull off and never twist or it could damage the atty, mess up the cart stuffing. etc.
Many align the cart's juice cup and the atty bridge /\ like this
[==]
_/\_

If your atomizer is getting abnormally hot then it's not getting enough juice. Check the cart - top it off with a bit of liquid and/or adjust the stuffing. Could also mean the atomizer is dirty with gunked up juice which may happen after a week or more of vaping. At that point I would switch to a clean dry atty, first priming the bridge with about 3 drops of liquid and waiting for it to soak in. Then blow out the used atty into a tissue and I soak in near-boiling water, first using a tongs to scoop the hot water through the atty and making sure there are no air bubbles in the atty. Some use hot running faucet water. Then I shake out the atty and may soak in alcohol overnight (I use edible alcohol - I would use pure grain but I need to get some from another state so I use vodka). Next day I shake that out then set the atty to dry.

Remember to drink fluids - vaping can be more drying than smoking.

If you get a headache, rapid or irregular heartbeat, lightheaded - could be too much vaping to too high a nic level for the amount you want to vape.

if your starting juices are 100% PG base, those can sometimes be a bit harsh on the tongue and throat because they don't buffer the TH and irritation of nicotine very much. If you find the juices you have a 100% PG and irritating at all you could order some PG/VG US juices (70pg/30vg and 80pg/20vg are popular ratios if you want TH. Or 50/50 for less TH and more vapor). You could also order a 100%VG flavor ejuice compatible with your PG juices and the same nicotine, and use that to add VG to PG juices. Nicotine is not additive - it is stated per ml of the juice. Mixing juices of the same nicotine level yields the same nicotine level.

Last edited:

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
Does anyone know if the juice from eastmall is PG or VG? It doesn't say on the bottle so I'm not sure what I'm starting out with this time to compare to next time. It doesn't seam to be very strong on flavor, in other words I can hardly tell the spearmint from the strawberry. Neither bad, but pretty much the same taste-wise. I have on occasion had an odd taste, something similar to the smell of something that I can't place yet of when my car has broke down, lol. Ok so that part isn't good but it isn't that often and maybe it's something I'm doing.... or maybe cause it's new? I don't know.... Still liking the new ecig tho! :)
I also know I have read a few things about juice from China, any opinions?

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Chinese juice? If it is thin, it's PG. If thick, VG. Unless the Chinese have suddenly started making PG/VG juices.

I don't vape 100% VG - not enough TH and flavor. But 100% PG juice with 18mg would make my tongue sore from nicotine irritating my tongue. So I mostly buy US juices in PG/VG blends, and my fave blend is around 70pg/30vg. Now that I have my nicotine all the way down to 6mg, I am buying more 80pg/20vg juices to eke out a bit more TH. I do plan to pick up some 6mg PG Chinese DK+TAB just to have one juice with whatever the max TH 6mg can put out is - I sort of like mixing FreedomSmokeUSA (Chocolate) Orange Ball w/ DK-TAB to give the dark tobacco vape some more body plus some highlights.

BTW FreedomSmokeUSA Cocoa is great for cutting the sweetness in a sweet tobacco and giving it more muscle. The Cocoa is almost bitter so it cuts sweetness well. Most cigs have cocoa in them so I like cocoa in a tobacco. My first all-day vape was Backwoods Brew Casablanca which is a complex Turkish blend w/ some cocoa (and sometimes I add more FSUSA cocoa to the cart or carto). Other good mixers for changing the taste of tobaccos are vanillas, FSUSA chocolate (that is a bit sweet and not as strong as the cocoa) and FSUSA oRYental 4 (a sweet caramelly vanilla tobacco)

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Re flavor - you need to let some of the vapor escape your mouth so your nose can catch it on the inhale. The human tongue can only sense sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami (MSG). The rest of "flavor" is aroma, texture and visual. Since vapor has no texture or visual you need to depend on the aroma. If what you have are Chinese juices, they are not the pinnacle or flavor and aroma IMO. But let your nose have some vapor to help find the flavors.

BTW - when you notice your sense of smell and tastebuds are back, a good buffet can be a lot of fun.

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
Oh boy I think it was thick, not that I have anything to compare to.... It was cold when the mail came and I put it in the fridge to store so it's really thick now! It said on the bottle to store in dark cool place or refrigerator so i went with the fridge since I thought it would be safer in there. I have a Great Dane that can reach anything he wants and knew i didn't want him getting a hold of a bottle! He isn't much of a counter surfer but I wouldn't want him to start with that!

So VG is thinker with more vapor and pg is thinner, more throat hit and flavor????

Dawn

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Indiana
Ok I'm 13 days in and still LOVING IT!! And not a cigarette yet!! I'M CURED!! :p lol

Ok so now to a few questions... I still every once in a while get that nasty burn taste, I'm figuring it is not the juice because it's not all the time so it has to be coming from the atomizer. And this is something I got from the start with it new so it isn't like it's old and funky. At one point I thought it was from the filling in the cart maybe smoking funny (touching the part that heats, ??) because I tried a different cart that had the filling pushed down instead of even with the top of the cart and I didn't notice that funny burnt taste so often. I have taken to pushing all of them in about 1/8" now and it has helped but still happens some. Any suggestions???

Are all Joye 510's made by the same company? I'm wondering if i will get something different if I order from a different place....

Do they make any kind of charger for the car or is a PCC the only choice I have for vaping on the go?

And a 510 Manual Passthrough, do these work well for when you're sitting on the computer? This is the one I was going to order,, is this all i need?
www.EastMall.net Eastmall International Co.,Ltd
So I would just attach my atomizer and a cartridge and go?? You would think I would remember reading all this before but I don't, it was just too much info over to long a period, lol.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
You can get a car-lighter to USB adapter for the car - if charging a battery bake sure it has 500mA output or says it is for the batteries you have. If you want to use a PT on it too then instead look for lighter to USB adapter that provides 2amps or says it is usable for the exact PT you got.

Don't attach a PT to a computer USB unless somebody verifies you have one that is safe to use on a PC. PC USB is only specced tp provide 500mA at a USB port that is on the PC. Most PTs need more than that and some people have damaged their computers. I recommend a 2amp USB to AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread