Finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Well, Michigan's flavor ban has given me the motivation to finally start DIY juice mixing.
My next paycheck is going to be ordering enough supplies, and gear to make 1,000 ml of finished product.
That should last 4-5 months, and only about $90 including shipping.
Any helpful hints from all of you DIY Heloises out there?

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Well, Michigan's flavor ban has given me the motivation to finally start DIY juice mixing.
My next paycheck is going to be ordering enough supplies, and gear to make 1,000 ml of finished product.

Welcome to the wonderful world of DIY :thumb:

If you want to become a flavor chef, start with single flavor mixes, play with the percentages and take lots of notes.

If you just want some good juice, go with some one shots, I like Liquid Barns Tastemakers collection. Mix it up and enjoy.

I've found mixing by weight to be much easier and less messy.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Congrats.
Use a mixing calculator.
Find recipes that appeal and order the flavours needed. DO NOT order a bunch of flavours that "sound good" but are not part of your recipes. (plenty of time for that later)
I suggest you start small, get to know your individual flavors and how they age/mature.
Creams and tobaccos in general need more aging to fully develop, many fruits are Shake and vape.
Take copious notes and label everything.
Develop a work flow that prevents mistakes and losing track of where you are in the process.
I mix in a large baking tin, if anything spills, it is contained and easier to clean up.
Try a bit of the PG/VG and nicotine base "neat" to get a baseline of how your ingredients taste to you.
Err on the not strong enough side, as it is far easier to add a bit more than to dilute away an overdose. (looking at you Menthol)
Store nicotine base in a cool, dark place.
I don't suggest you use any "speed steeping" techniques.
Consider trying some unflavoured and some mixes with just a hint of flavour.
Avoid using any additives and substituted flavour brands until you are comfortable with the process.
It is fine to taste fresh mixes even if they need to age. Make notes about the experience.
If some ingredients in the recipe need to age, mix those separately and add your other flavour notes to the aged mix.

HTH
I

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Here is a quick look into DIY, might like to visit:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
What you need to know as as far as supplies and safety for the first time juicer. | E-Cigarette Forum
https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/wiki/diy_beginners_guide
dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
DIY e-liquid Mixing. Learn how to make your own e-liquids

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I'm ordering 240 ml 100mg/ml nic, (Max VG) 240ml VG, 500 ml pg, and 45 ml flavoring, a few 60 ml bottles, and about half a dozen syringes. (all from LNW)
I don't have a lot of storage space, so I can't really buy large quantities.
I'll be mixing by volume, because I can't really afford a scale atm.
I'm going to be doing 60 ml batches 24mg/ml 50/50 with 7.5% flavor added (to start)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I'm ordering 240 ml 100mg/ml nic, (Max VG) 240ml VG, 500 ml pg, and 45 ml flavoring, a few 60 ml bottles, and about half a dozen syringes. (all from LNW)
I don't have a lot of storage space, so I can't really buy large quantities.
I'll be mixing by volume, because I can't really afford a scale atm.
I'm going to be doing 60 ml batches 24mg/ml 50/50 with 7.5% flavor added (to start)

I would advise against making 60 mls to start. I still make 10 mls or less of any new flavor or recipe, and almost never make large batches, except for a few recipes that I vape constantly and hold up well for long steeps.

Most fruit or candy flavors just mute over time, and even a couple bakery flavors will do that. So you’ll want to know which do what, and how much to make so it won’t fade before you can use it.

• Agree
Reactions: jusu and Izan

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I would advise against making 60 mls to start. I still make 10 mls or less of any new flavor or recipe, and almost never make large batches, except for a few recipes that I vape constantly and hold up well for long steeps.

Most fruit or candy flavors just mute over time, and even a couple bakery flavors will do that. So you’ll want to know which do what, and how much to make so it won’t fade before you can use it.

Strictly a menthol vaper.
It should hold pretty well.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

Start off with small amounts "10-15ml's" and don't let the science get in the way. It's ok to add a little of this and a little of that. Flavor percentages are guidelines. The only thing you need to get absolutely right is your nicotine base. I often flavor bases using the "Fly by the seat of my pants" method meaning when it comes to flavoring I start off with small amounts of flavor and keep adding until it taste good. Exact measuring right down to the minute fraction of a ml is not necessary. most of all have fun with it and write everything down so when you do hit on that fantastic vape you can reproduce it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread