The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

First attempt at cloud chasing

Discussion in 'Cloud Chasers' started by Mikedin, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mikedin

Mikedin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    What I have available to work with

Authentic ss ragnarok
    GP paps v2.5 clone

Plume veil clone
    Aqua v2 clone

26g kanthol
    29g kanthol
    30g kanthol

Cotton bacon
    Jap cotton
    Rayon

Battery's are authentic Sony VCT4's

What's a good build to start with using the gear I have available

Yes I am using mech mods and don't have the money available to go out buying box mods looking for the best achievable with what I have

Thanks for any help guys!

2. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    I'm sure there will be many opinions to follow, but here's mine.
    I have no experience with the Aqua so I can't comment on it, but in my experience a well build RDA will usually out perform a tank.

Put a dual coil 26 guage, 6 wraps @ 2mm internal diameter, should come out to about 0.33 ohms. Put that in your Plume Veil. Any of those wicking materials will be fine. Bear in my mind that wicking is vital and can only really be perfected through practice and trial and error.

The Plume Veil is my personal favorite RDA, but a "cloud chaser" it isn't in my opinion.To get bigger clouds than that I would suggest an RDA with more airflow like the Mutation X V3/4 authentic or a good quality Kennedy clone. I would also get some lower guage wire, 24 or even 22.
    The Sony is an excellent cell with a 30 amp limit, so that's good to go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikedin

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    Yeah I am trying to work with what I have also the Aqua is a multi atty it functions as a tank or a dripper depending on the cap (I use it as a rda I love it it's super airy) but would more surface area on the coil produce more vapor even if it's a higher ohm coil?

Sorry these are the questions I have

I have no problem building my own coils I have an ohm meter but am looking for people with more experience than myself to start this goal

4. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    More surface area will mean more vapor, as long as the wicking can keep up and there is enough power being driven through the coils.

5. Mikedin

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    Is it possible to do that with a mech?

6. Mikedin

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york

if i ran dual coils with 29 guage i could do 9 wraps x 2 @ 25.2w how would that work?

7. Mikedin

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    Gave it an attempt way too long ramp up time

Have an attempt with dual 4 wrap tiger wire on 1/8 inch drill bit came out to just over .3ohms a lot of vapor but the mod gets pretty warm ,not hot but noticeable

8. Hans Wermhat

Hans Wermhat Vaping Master

Jun 9, 2015
    Texas
    Kanthal is great for gennys and tootle puffers. But it has a long ramp up time in a RDA with dual coils on a mech. I used 28G the 1st time I tried a dripper (plume veil actually). It worked, but took 2 or 3 seconds to start vaping and I could only get maybe 20 puffs off a full charge on my VTC4's. Then it stayed hot for way too long after I let go of the button. I would get some nichrome 80. It's not very expensive and it's a lot lower resistance. With those 2mm dual coils, you MUST do AT LEAST 7 wraps to stay above the battery's limits. I would cram 8 wraps or even in there. But it is almost instant fire. And the more wraps you use, the more surface area, the bigger the clouds, etc.

9. LobsterGoD

LobsterGoD Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 25, 2009
    If you're using a mech, i suggest sticking to the lower gauge wire. You'll get the added surface area and still be able to keep the resistance you want.

Really, i would pick up some 24g if you're really wanting to get into cloud chasing. It's a great forgiving wire gauge to work with, and great for a beginner cloud chaser if you're wanting to keep your builds in the .2-.3 range.

Also, nichrome will heat up a bit faster than kanthal. If you're really looking for performance get some of it, but be mindful that nichrome has a lower resistance/ft than kanthal.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mikedin

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    yeah i stopped by the local b&m and got some 24g nichrome 80 and did up a few coils , came out to .3ohms but still had alot of ramp up and actually the ragnarok got warmer than it did with the kanthol around the same ohm build

11. LVixen

LVixen Full Member Verified Member

Jul 5, 2015
  12. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    28g .3 ohm dual coil.

20150727_174014.jpg
    20150720_180249.jpg

Fast ramp up, vapor for miles

Top-magma