First attempts at micro-coil builds (Igo L & W) - Pointers, please??? (& Thank You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cr0tchF4i

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
San Diego, CA
you are building on the W, yet you are only making a single coil? why not make two 10 wrap coils in 26 or 28 ga (about 1-1.3ohm)?

Because he should perfect his tastes and the building aspect before going dual coil. Simple as that.

Why have 2 coils to worry about when he's still learning to deal with one.

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
You are not dry burning the cotton are you, before you juice it up or while your hitting it out well burn if you run the juice out, that's the only time you should taste anything from cotton.
I watched a documentary about organic .... of all kinds and the workers putting the organic sticker on the package didn't even know what it meant. But the sterile ones probably really have been syarilized

I saw that documentary after I bought organic cotton balls... I don't boil them.

here_miah

Nov 15, 2013
Vancouver
Because he should perfect his tastes and the building aspect before going dual coil. Simple as that.

Why have 2 coils to worry about when he's still learning to deal with one.

You build two identical coils- same wraps, same ohms. what's hard about that? I understand that there is a learning curve here, but I started with a dual setup on my W4 so I guess I don't see the difficulty anymore... To each his own.

Cr0tchF4i

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
San Diego, CA
You build two identical coils- same wraps, same ohms. what's hard about that? I understand that there is a learning curve here, but I started with a dual setup on my W4 so I guess I don't see the difficulty anymore... To each his own.

I understand the concept, as I do it often.. But if he is having trouble figuring out ONE coil, why would he build two? Have some common sense here.

DaMann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
When I built mine with dual 10 wraps 28ga it came out to like .6ohms. Not sure what I did wrong.

Ohms need to be double for dual coil. So if you want a final dual coil reading 1.5 ohms you need to build two 3 ohm coils. Build one coil at 3 ohms ( test) then build an identical coil and add it to the dual setup, the final reading should then be 1.5 ohms.

As for cotton I found normal cotton to have an odd taste for the first 10 or so puffs, then bliss. I then bought Organic cotton and right from the first puff there was no odd taste. I only use organic now. I never boil cotton

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
For me, and virtually any replaceable head device, I keep tasting a very strong aspect of either dry silica or something else being vaporized in the mix, and it doesn't help that the intended flavors of the juice never seem to come through right. Not to mention, on these same set-ups, if I ever use a dark juice, like chocolate or coffee, it instantly tastes like burnt popcorn kernels.

I then tried one of the respected Cisco atties, 3.5ohms, silica wicked, seemingly microcoiled or something near it, and got absolutely clean, stellar flavor for about 45 minutes. It was enough for me to know that my preferred vape does exist. It even worked for a few puffs for the chocolates and coffees! A very "yes" moment.

So I'm eager to see what building my own coil can do for me. I'm not sure what type of silica they used, but whichever one they did, it sure tasted clean in this particular atty - so I wouldn't be too off-put by silica. I say that it can work in the right coil.

If you have any luck with your builds, especially with that Halo Java juice (it notoriously tasted like charcoal in anything I used it in), I'll be sure to follow your lead. Keep us updated!

Kevin King

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2012
PA
i remember when the phoenix clones came out and i grabbed a few so i could start building my own coils. i still have a whole bag of rolled cotton from cvs and absolutely hate it. everytime ive used it i get a horrendous taste that doesnt seem to go away. fast forward about a year, now ALL i use is organic cotton balls in my rdas. learning "how" to make the wick is very important. once i watched xobeloots youtube video on making a "fluffy" middle it was vaping bliss from there. no joke. i had always rolled the entire piece of wick between my fingers before inserting into coil. wich wasnt horrible, but the fluffy middle is muuuch better

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
As for cotton I found normal cotton to have an odd taste for the first 10 or so puffs, then bliss. I then bought Organic cotton and right from the first puff there was no odd taste. I only use organic now. I never boil cotton
Yeah, I'm gonna grab some organic & give it a try. Those first nasty-tasting tokes aren't so great (even though I'm not inhaling em).
Seems I'm not alone in my thoughts on the rolled CVS stuff.

SmokieTreats

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
Xanth Nebula
You know, yer right.
It's not rocket science (as it's made out to be "for advanced users only"... yadda, yadda, yadda).
These were literally my FIRST coils, & I just wanted to get some feedback in regard to optimal distance from airhole & thoughts on cotton.

I got all the info I needed from those offering help & appreciate everyone's useful input. :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread