First batch; alcohol smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Paola, KS
Currently trying my first DIY. I'm noticing a strong alcohol smell, is that normal?

Here is what I have so far.

PG: 4.33ml
VG: 3ml
ry4 flavor: 10% (1ml)
Haven't added nic yet.

Currently in a glass bowl on a heating pad. Haven't tried it yet because of the smell. I have the lid off to air it out. Does it just need time to steep?

Thanks.

Currently trying my first DIY. I'm noticing a strong alcohol smell, is that normal?

Here is what I have so far.

PG: 4.33ml
VG: 3ml
ry4 flavor: 10% (1ml)
Haven't added nic yet.

Currently in a glass bowl on a heating pad. Haven't tried it yet because of the smell. I have the lid off to air it out. Does it just need time to steep?

Thanks.

Which RY4? When you specify flavorings, include the brand too, because there are large differences between flavorings with identical names.
If your flavoring is alcohol based, letting it breathe will allow it to evaporate. Heat will speed that up even more, as will an open bowl (or similar) compared to a bottle with nozzle. But don't get the heat too high (150 deg F is considered a conservative maximum) or leave it open like that too long on the heat source, or you might dull the flavor.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
tobacco's usually take a few weeks for the flavor to mature, I wouldn't be too judgmental right after mixing. You didn't state what brand of RY4 flavoring you're using and 10% can be a bit much for some. If this is your first go at mixing I suggest you make a couple batches at different %'s. Maybe 5ml or 10ml each of 5% - 7-1/2% - 10% make sure to add your nic and let them sit capped in a cool dark spot. Give them a taste every week and after determining which one is best you can adjust the others.

DWright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Paola, KS
Which RY4? When you specify flavorings, include the brand too, because there are large differences between flavorings with identical names.
If your flavoring is alcohol based, letting it breathe will allow it to evaporate. Heat will speed that up even more, as will an open bowl (or similar) compared to a bottle with nozzle. But don't get the heat too high (150 deg F is considered a conservative maximum) or leave it open like that too long on the heat source, or you might dull the flavor.

Thanks. The small heating pad I'm using is only reading at 110 deg F at the moment. I'm using RY4 Double flavored by signature- from ecigexpress.

Edit: Sorry my temp is only 96.8 at the moment - just checked. Don't know where I got 110 from.

Last edited:

DWright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Paola, KS
tobacco's usually take a few weeks for the flavor to mature, I wouldn't be too judgmental right after mixing. You didn't state what brand of RY4 flavoring you're using and 10% can be a bit much for some. If this is your first go at mixing I suggest you make a couple batches at different %'s. Maybe 5ml or 10ml each of 5% - 7-1/2% - 10% make sure to add your nic and let them sit capped in a cool dark spot. Give them a taste every week and after determining which one is best you can adjust the others.

Will do, thank you.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I wholeheartedly disagree with uncapping a bottle to let alcohol evaporate out. For the alcohol to evaporate it must separate from the solution and rise to the top. If alcohol doesn't separate out of a homogenous solution and rise to the top in a capped bottle it certainly won't by just removing the cap.

DWright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Paola, KS
Well here is a picture I just took to give you guys a idea what I'm messing with. I just mixed a 30ml 7% flavor. Made it a little larger so I can smell it easier. No nic.
SAM_0483.jpg

Still getting a pretty potent alcohol smell, its about 97 deg F at the moment. The 10ml I made I have sitting in a plastic bottle with the lid removed. I think I will lit that sit a few days and check on it. If the smell is gone, I'll add my nic, cap and let sit for a couple weeks.

Edit: If you were wondering. That heating pad is just a reptile warmer I had. I might invest into something more long term later on.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I wholeheartedly disagree with uncapping a bottle to let alcohol evaporate out. For the alcohol to evaporate it must separate from the solution and rise to the top. If alcohol doesn't separate out of a homogenous solution and rise to the top in a capped bottle it certainly won't by just removing the cap.

Sorry, no separation of solution. Alcohol will evaporate anyway (together with some PG, VG, nic and flavorings, but in much larger proportion).

DWright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Paola, KS
What's the purpose of the heating pad? I'm sure it's a viable reason. I've just never used a heat source before and wondered what the advantage was.

This is my first attempt. So I'm by no means a expert. However, from what I read - heat helps the steeping time. So I figured I would grab a heating pad I had laying around that I know doesn't get very hot and give it a try. Also hoping the heat would help meld the flavor into the mix and evaporate the alcohol smell I'm getting.

What's the purpose of the heating pad? I'm sure it's a viable reason. I've just never used a heat source before and wondered what the advantage was.

Another advantage of warming up high VG juice is that it becomes much thinner, so shaking to mix it is more effective.

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Signature sold by ecig express is actually re bottled TFA ( the flavor apprentice)
The heating pad is a good idea.. Good thinking .

There was a long thread in here about heat steeping and it was meticulously documented by a Few different people and crockpots were used.

The general consensus was a 4 hour steep at 150 degrees was optimum for a speed steep.

It works well for most juices. Tobaccos are a different story. Something about tobaccos that just need to be left alone and only time will work their Majic on those.

Watch heat steeping citrus vapes like limes . Many of those loose their potency over time anyway and the heat doesn't help that any,

The alcohol will evaporate rather Quickly and as stated previously, the larger the area, the quicker it will evaporate . That beaker is perfect.

Two cents..... Good luck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DWright

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Paola, KS
Thanks guys for the input. Here is an update this morning.

Alcohol smell is nearly gone, mixed with nicotine, capped, and left on heat pad over night. I added a few drops of EM and 1% Vanilla Custard last night. Color changed to a light golden tint. Currently vaping it now and tastes great. Going to leave on heat pad a little longer.

I have the bug now. I just want to buy a bunch of flavors and try mixing something new. I was reading about NET, I might try it next. I used to smoke a pipe on and off and have a nice big bag collecting dust. Regardless what I try next, have to say this is actually fun making and experimenting with different juices!

Thanks guys :)

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
I don't know if you ever seen Rip Trippers video's on steeping but he metions that letting it breath (cap off) should be no longer than 2 hrs for best flavoring results. Then just let it steep (cap on in cool dark place) for about a week. Test and use lots of notes. Custards tend to need longer steep time as well as the Tabaco flavors. It will also tend to be preference to the person. Just my :2c: Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread