Moldy smelling nicotine liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik2112

Dec 3, 2015
Hi, I purchased a bottle of 100mg nicotine liquid in PG base and noticed it had a bit of a hot rubber/musty smell. I'm a bit new do making my own juice but have made some before using nicotine in a 50PG/50VG base and didn't recall a smell like that. I wasn't really concerned until I mixed a few 60mg bottles up of juice using the new nicotine and stuck them in the crock-pot for an hour to get a head start on the steeping. I like smelling the juice periodically because it smells good and when I smelled the ones I made up for my wife with 16%nic/ml, it reeked like musty mushrooms and burning tires. The ones I made for myself with 6%nic/ml, the smell was noticeable but not as bad. I let them sit uncovered in the crock pot for 2 hrs, hoping some chemicals would dissipate out of the mix or something but didn't help. I let them sit overnight in the pantry but still can smell that nasty nicotine. My question, has anybody experienced this before and does the smell eventually go away as it steeps longer? Or would adding a "smooth flavor" to my mix or to the nic bottle itself maybe help tame or hide the nasty smell? I haven't tried vaping any of the juice I made because I'm assuming if I can smell it, I can taste it and haven't smelled anything like that before from store-bought or homemade juice in the past. I bought the nic from Liquid Barn and the brand is USA Liquid Nicotine. I sent a customer care message on their website telling them I think the nic may be bad but haven't heard anything yet. I don't want to use the nicotine if it's bad. Would like to here what others have experienced with their nicotine. Thanks

Reactions: KatzWh1skers

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
There was an issue with rubbery NIC about 3 years ago. You may have gotten a hold of something similer. You should read the NIC comparison thread.

Nicotine Comparisons

And do some searching on best NIC.

I'm not sure why you would steep just NIC. Steeping is done with all ingredients added.

You may want to read my blogs before attempting any more mixing..

dannyv45's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I bought the nic from Liquid Barn and the brand is USA Liquid Nicotine. I sent a customer care message on their website telling them I think the nic may be bad but haven't heard anything yet. I don't want to use the nicotine if it's bad. Would like to here what others have experienced with their nicotine.
Could call: 818-584-7201 x 1 (Monday-Friday | 9:30am-6pm PST)
Ask them, how to make this right?

Reactions: defdock

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
It sounds like bad nic yeah, although it's hard to say for sure, because the specific nic in question here, has been reviewed before(by JeremyR in the 'Nicotine Comparissons' thread), as being a pretty rough, unique, flavorful and somewhat different tasting nic with one of the biggest throat-hits available(of 9+ nics)...

Nicotine Comparisons

Next time you buy nic, and if it's again from liquid-barn, then I would suggest getting there regular nicselect blend, which should be better suited for you I would guess, and used by a bunch of eliquid vendors like nicoticket etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: Yiana

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Sorry, but no... All nics have an odor + taste; nic in itself, quality or not, isn't odorless, so an e.g. 10% dilution thereof wouldn't be either... However, the odor shouldn't be overpowering and/or off-putting...

Very clean nics, to me, smell off ammonia and slight fish. The more flavorfull ones, additionally brings undertones of nutty/wooden/damp-tobacco-leaves character. The bad ones, exhibits unusual/off-puting notes like e.g. rubber or likewise...

Imho, that is :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyDill

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
All nics have an odor + taste; nic in itself, quality or not, isn't odorless
-What he said IMO.

I participated in a nicotine comparison test some time ago and compared 5 different brands of nic; at 100mg/ml strength, all of them exhibited odor that I perceive as fishy. Nothing off putting, but all were excellent when mixed down and vaped unflavored.

Reactions: mhertz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread