First Burned Coil - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
I imagine that this is a super common issue but I was unable to find an answer searching. Sorry for the newbie questions.

So I just burned my first coil. I was lazily puffing on my subox mini, and yowsers!!! :shock:- got a horrible burned taste in my mouth. I took a second puff, and knew right away that i had burned the cotton in my coil. There is no mistaking how bad that tasted!!! :eek:

Maybe I was inhaling too slowly and not drawing enough liquid into the coil? Can that cause it? My coil was only 4 days old.

Anyways, I replaced the coil, and it is still giving me a bad aftertaste. I don't know if that smell/taste is stuck in my nose/mouth or what. Is it possible that the burned coil ruined the juice in my tank? I would hate to dump the full tank that I just refilled if the smell is just stuck in my nose.

Also, I noticed that the new OCC coil had a weird taste at first. Is there a way to get that out? I cannot imagine that it is healthy to inhale whatever was on the the new coil with the way that it tasted.

Sorry again for newbie questions

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Always wash out a new tank before adding e-liquid. Manufacturers don't clean out the machine dust caused from manufacturing. Simple rinsing under the tap with water is sufficient. (Remove the coil first if the tank is pre-assembled)

Always "prime" a new wick or coil prior to actually vaping it. Don't just fill the tank with juice. Add some e-liquid to the wick/coil first. Make sure the wick is totally saturated.

If using a variable power battery device, start out a new coil with low power. You can gradually adjust the power to your usual settings once the new coil is broken in after a few puffs.

If using a tank, a coil/wick will develop a slightly burnt flavor should it need to be replaced. Continuing to vape on that coil will lead to the dreaded "dry" or "burnt" hit.

Short hard hits may cause a dry hit. The liquid can't wick fast enough to keep up, especially if using a thicker e-liquid heavy with Vg. Slow, longer hits allow the liquid time to replenish the wick. You might need to do a couple of "primer puffs" (vaping without battery power on).

Once a wick/coil is burnt, it is ruined and must be replaced. That burnt taste may transfer/contaminate the remaining e-liquid in the tank, ruining the tankful of e-liquid.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Always wash out a new tank before adding e-liquid. Manufacturers don't clean out the machine dust caused from manufacturing. Simple rinsing under the tap with water is sufficient. (Remove the coil first if the tank is pre-assembled)

I did this. Should you also wash the OCC coil to avoid the yucky taste of the first few puffs?

lways "prime" a new wick or coil prior to actually vaping it. Don't just fill the tank with juice. Add some e-liquid to the wick/coil first. Make sure the wick is totally saturated.

If using a variable power battery device, start out a new coil with low power. You can gradually adjust the power to your usual settings once the new coil is broken in after a few puffs.

I did both of these and the first coil was fine for 4 days.

Short hard hits may cause a dry hit. The liquid can't wick fast enough to keep up, especially if using a thicker e-liquid heavy with Vg. Slow, longer hits allow the liquid time to replenish the wick. You might need to do a couple of "primer puffs" (vaping without battery power on).

I definitely was not puffing on it hard. I wonder why the wick went dry.

That burnt taste may transfer/contaminate the remaining e-liquid in the tank, ruining the tankful of e-liquid.

That's what I was afraid of. I need to dump my tank, wash it and refill it. Do I need to replace the new coil too since it had the burned juice in the wick?

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
No, you don't need to wash a new coil before using it. Cotton takes a few draws to get "broken in." It's something you just seem to have to put up with. It usually takes at least seven or eight hits for me before the clean taste starts coming through.
Thanks for the Reply...

I cleaned my tank, put in new juice, and I still feel like I have that terrible taste in my mouth. I hope i didn't burn a second coil. I did take my time to prime it. I think that smell or taste just etched itself in my nose. I'm gonna go huff some coffee and have a piece of gum... Maybe that will fix it.

Reactions: edyle

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If these are factory-built coils you are using, quality control can be wanting.

This is the reason, after using cartotanks for over two years and putting up with inconsistent cartomizer quality, that I switched to using rebuildables exclusively. Now that I am making my own wick and coils, I don't have to be concerned about inconsistency. I have no one but myself to blame if I get a dry or burnt hit, which luckily doesn't happen much if at all any more.

And by making my own coils with larger grades of wire, the coils last much longer...up to 3 - 4 months at a time. Yeah, I still have to re-wick every 3 - 4 days, but that's simple and takes but 4 minutes of time. Cost of wire and cotton (or Rayon) is cheap, so I'm saving money, too.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Burnt coils are part of vaping, and especially if you use premade coils and/or cotton wick. I make my own coils, and use Rayon wick, so I don't get it a lot, although I can taste the Rayon when the dripper is dry. It is easily possible the burnt taste transferred to the liquid in the tank-- how did you change the coil without spilling the liquid?-- but it is also possible you burnt the second coil as soon as you put it in. Coils should be primed: put a drop of juice on the ends of the wick sticking out of the side of the coil, plus another drop down the coil chimney, before installing it. then assemble and fill the tank. Close off the air holes with your fingers and draw on the tank a time or three without firing the button. This will draw juice up into the wick and you should be good to go.

Reactions: jjatl

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
It is easily possible the burnt taste transferred to the liquid in the tank-- how did you change the coil without spilling the liquid?-- but it is also possible you burnt the second coil as soon as you put it in.

Thats what I'm thinking. I just put the tank upside down and unscrewed the base with the coil. I'm also thinking that I burned the second coil.... Putting in another new coil to see if that taste goes away.

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Give
Thats what I'm thinking. I just put the tank upside down and unscrewed the base with the coil. I'm also thinking that I burned the second coil.... Putting in another new coil to see if that taste goes away.
Give that a try and let us know how it works.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
I usually put base on the mod. and saturate the cotton. I also push the botton for 2-3 sec. wait repeat and saturate again after I am sure that I dont get that burning smell I put liquid in the tank and reassamble it. this way you will be saved the first few drags of bad smell, you never burn the coil.

I did this when I replaced the coil.

Give that a try and let us know how it works.

I don't know if it is in my lungs, or just in my head, but I still smell or taste that dry hit :-x

I cleaned the tank, replaced the coil with a 2nd new one, primed it and broke it in very carefully, and I still taste it. I also chewed a piece of gum and sniffed some coffee.

Hopefully it will just go away on its own.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Drink a little OJ and rinse with water. That helps get the nasty taste out of your mouth. If no OJ is available then brush teeth. Unfortunately, you will have a minty taste lingering in the brushing case.
That fixed it. I need a bottle of Scope at work, because that smell/taste of burning cotton ruined vaping for me for almost the entire day.

I imagine that the tank I dumped was probably fine, and that the 1st new coil I put in is probably good too. I didn't throw it out and will try it when the current coil dies.

Thanks for the advice!

Needo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
Amarillo, Tx.
I'm glad to hear that something works. If taste are sticking around that long, I suspect that you may be more susceptible to vapor overload like myself and a few others on this forum. I have to use a light amount of flavoring and not vape on the same flavor for more than a tank. My wife doesn't even bother with flavoring her juice. I still haven't given up on finding flavor, if only for the moment.

Reactions: jjatl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread