First coil build. Constructive Criticism please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha.Kilo

Mar 15, 2014
United States
This is my first coil rebuild.

Specs-
smok Magneto
Ehpro Omega atty
Using 26 ga Kanthal wire
and peaches & creme cotton string

unnamed.jpg ]

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Specs-
smok Magneto
Ehpro Omega atty
Using 26 ga Kanthal wire

Nice work for your first attempt at this! A couple of points that I think will help.

You've got too much wick in there. When you're putting the wick inside the coils you don't want to also have wick touching the outside of the coils. What will happen is where there is wick outside, there is no air flow on either side of the wire and so no vapor coming from there. Those areas will also get too hot.

You've closed off the two air holes with wick which is not good no matter how much wick you're using.

You're wrapping big diameter coils and getting a lot of wick inside them. That's not bad, but you don't have much room in this atty. I would try using fewer strands inside the coils, make the coils a bit smaller in diameter to suit and use more wraps to get the resistance you want. This will also allow you to move the coils a bit off center counterclockwise looking down at them so they are a bit closer to in front of the air holes and I think also help you build with less yarn.

You really only need to leave enough wick hanging out of the coils to touch the deck and soak up juice. The yarn is very absorbent and will move juice quite fast.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
I also think it looks nice and tidy setup. Like dan said, there shouldn't bee anything between airhole and coil as air is the only thing pushing the vapor from the coil, if that makes sense. Here are some pics that I found in google and there are a couple of reviews in youtube for the atty where they usually show you how they rebuild it as well.
El7TuGz.jpg gytygyme.jpg Untitled.jpg Omega2_zpsc33583c5.jpg

Also the 26 ga wire is a good choice, it will give you low resistance which means plenty vapor, flavor and throat hit. Use these low resistances on big batteries like 18650 or 18500 which can handle high current discharge. If the battery gets very hot while using it it means it's being over discharged so I would suggest to use and ohms law conversion calculator so that you stay within the battery amp limits. here is one calculator Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com

Specs-
Smok Magneto
Ehpro Omega atty
Using 26 ga Kanthal wire

View attachment 325905 ]

WAY TOO MUCH WICK!

air flow is the key to a good vape... too much or not enough, and a good build goes down the toilet.

here is my build for reference.
IMG_20131216_164210.jpg

joaquingt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
San Francisco
Congrats on your first build.

1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Safety
Use an ohm meter to measure the resistance a 26 kanthal 4 wraps each side is like what .4 ohms ? an aw imr 18650 2000 mha is not enough to be safe with that build, you must get a higher amp rate battery. sony vtc5 30amps would be nice. dont ever try that build on a 18350 a 18490 aw imr could handle that but i wouldnt take the risk.

Just be safe sub-ohming is dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread