first coil build trouble, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adgalati

Feb 5, 2015
FL
So i decided i would try out wrapping my own coil for the rba section of my sub tank mini, first time doing this. so far i've just been using the coil that was already installed in the rba. i used 30 gauge kanthal 5 wraps around the screwdriver that it came with (i guess micro coil?). so i got it all set up and turned on the battery. first it read 2.4 ohms which didnt make much sense. i went and fired it and it started glowing like normal, only it seemed to be sizzling at the leads. then it read 1.6 ohms. i kept firing it in short bursts until eventually it stopped glowing and the battery then read no atomizer. so clearly i did something wrong but dont know what. i then took the extra pre-wrapped coil the tank came with which i assume is 26 gauge kanthal, installed it, and now its working fine again (reads 0.6 ohms for this pre-wrapped coil). any ideas?

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
sounds like the legs arent trapped securely under the posts. i have this issue with my dark horse, when it gets warm enough from a good vape, or i dry burn the coils, somehow the screws magicaly start moving slightly and loose "secure" connection.

screw only need to be finger tight, no need to crank them and snap the wire.

KC33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
It sounds like your leads got screwed up, thus the sizzle. Make sure you don't over tighten the screws you may have snapped a lead and not realized it. Also, you may have blown it out when you were powering up the coil. Just gently pulse your coil and get a read on your ohms.

30 gauge coil is very thin and somewhat delicate, you'll notice that the coils that came with the tank are thicker and more durable. They look like 26 gauge but I can't be certain of that.

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
My math seems to indicate that the .5 ohm pre-built coil is probably a 26 gauge wire, as is the pre-coiled RBA. I also think the pre-built 1.2 ohm coil is probably 29 gauge. 30 gauge wire is awfully thin (as is 29 to me) but it should work. I'd check the airflow intake that screws into the bottom and make sure it is tight. Mine was loose once and the resistance was bouncing all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread